Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Roanoke v. Lynchburg
Roanoke 10 47.62%
Lynchburg 5 23.81%
Neither 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 AM

467 posts, read 542,657 times

Advertisements

i thought Chilis were everywhere. To me it is basically an Applebees type of restaurant, nothing special.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:21 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,068,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
i thought Chilis were everywhere. To me it is basically an Applebees type of restaurant, nothing special.
I know right. If you ever hear me saying "What we really need is a Chili's," just go ahead and put me away right then and there!

One of the truly amazing things about Roanoke is that there are 70 eating places downtown, and only one of them is a "national chain" (Subway). I love the emphasis on local dining options!

Restaurants | Dining | Downtown Roanoke, VA

Old 01-04-2014, 06:13 AM

895 posts, read 2,097,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I know right. If you ever hear me saying "What we really need is a Chili's," just go ahead and put me away right then and there!

One of the truly amazing things about Roanoke is that there are 70 eating places downtown, and only one of them is a "national chain" (Subway). I love the emphasis on local dining options!

Restaurants | Dining | Downtown Roanoke, VA
The concentration of restaurants in downtown Roanoke is a rarity among smaller cities. I'm sure that having the Hotel Roanoke as an anchor is a start, but the fact the virtually every regional conference and show has a stop in Roanoke really boosts restaurant business. Another thing about Roanoke that sets it apart from other cities of its size is that it's hospitality businesses are not clustered along one or two strips. I could easily live in Roanoke, though my first choice is Lynchburg. My sister and her family have actually enjoyed living in Roanoke more than Raleigh.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,158,004 times
I agree, the last thing we need are more chain and fast food restaurants in Roanoke. I love eating at the locally owned establishments, and Roanoke has some true gems! Several great places that are NOT downtown.

Anyway, I'd take a Wegmans over that entire list.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,894,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I agree, the last thing we need are more chain and fast food restaurants in Roanoke. I love eating at the locally owned establishments, and Roanoke has some true gems! Several great places that are NOT downtown.

Anyway, I'd take a Wegmans over that entire list.
I love the local restaurants in Roanoke simply because I know their standards are high and I have enjoyed the experience. But for someone visiting Roanoke they look for normalcy of a restaurant as regards its standards, prices, menu, etc. Downtown has done well with its local menus but please bring us more chains!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I love the local restaurants in Roanoke simply because I know their standards are high and I have enjoyed the experience. But for someone visiting Roanoke they look for normalcy of a restaurant as regards its standards, prices, menu, etc. Downtown has done well with its local menus but please bring us more chains!
Why don't they get more chains? Even Aiken SC has a Chili's.

I'm guessing some chains go to Blacksburg/Christianburg and then don't come to Roanoke. If I lived in Roanoke, I'd probably be willing to drive over to Blacksburg for a chaine reastaurant that I liked, on the weekend every now and then.

One chain Roanoke has that the Carolinas doesn't that I've seen is Penn Station East Coast Subs. You have a T.G.I. Fridays which there aren't a lot of in South Carolina.

Afer a brief glance on Google maps, looks like Jason's Deli, Texas Roadhouse, Fuddruckers, PF Changs, Chili's , Mellow Mushroom, Jersey Mikes Subs are the ones that jump out at me as not having. I was surprised there is a Red Robin there b/c SC areas just started getting those.

Last edited by Francis.; 01-04-2014 at 10:31 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 PM

363 posts, read 557,856 times
Quote:
Why don't they get more chains? Even Aiken SC has a Chili's.

I'm guessing some chains go to Blacksburg/Christianburg and then don't come to Roanoke. If I lived in Roanoke, I'd probably be willing to drive over to Blacksburg for a chaine reastaurant that I liked, on the weekend every now and then.

One chain Roanoke has that the Carolinas doesn't that I've seen is Penn Station East Coast Subs. You have a T.G.I. Fridays which there aren't a lot of in South Carolina.

Afer a brief glance on Google maps, looks like Jason's Deli, Texas Roadhouse, Fuddruckers, PF Changs, Chili's , Mellow Mushroom, Jersey Mikes Subs are the ones that jump out at me as not having. I was surprised there is a Red Robin there b/c SC areas just started getting those.

Its a give and take usually. We used to have a fuddruckers in salem and a jersey mikes. Fuddruckers closed down awhile back but im not sure why and jersey mikes was shut down because of bad management. We don't have texas roadhouse but we have longhorn steak house and others. No chilli's but we have TGIF and applebees etc. Blacksburg is getting a mellow mushroom but not roanoke (yet). No PF changs in the area though. Also we have had red robin for years now. Chains do weird things my friend. No two areas are the same.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
Its a give and take usually. We used to have a fuddruckers in salem and a jersey mikes. Fuddruckers closed down awhile back but im not sure why and jersey mikes was shut down because of bad management. We don't have texas roadhouse but we have longhorn steak house and others. No chilli's but we have TGIF and applebees etc. Blacksburg is getting a mellow mushroom but not roanoke (yet). No PF changs in the area though. Also we have had red robin for years now. Chains do weird things my friend. No two areas are the same.
lol I understand that, roanoke appears to have most of the chains, which was my point. Larger metroes inSC just recently started getting PF Changs and Jersey Mikes and REd Robins.

Fuddruckers isn't that good in my opinion and red robin is the same kidn of thing.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:06 PM

895 posts, read 2,097,860 times
Quote:
lol I understand that, roanoke appears to have most of the chains, which was my point. Larger metroes inSC just recently started getting PF Changs and Jersey Mikes and REd Robins.

Fuddruckers isn't that good in my opinion and red robin is the same kidn of thing.
Just go to Lynchburg for Texas Roadhouse and Jersey Mikes. Sometimes chains expand based on distribution as much as population.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Just go to Lynchburg for Texas Roadhouse and Jersey Mikes. Sometimes chains expand based on distribution as much as population.
that's true, i made the point erarlier that maybe Roanoke's proximty to Lynchburg and Blacksburg/Christianburg is why it doesn't get all the chains b/c maybe some chains just open up in one of these 3 cities due to their proximity to each other.

I think there is a Texas Roadhouse over in BLacksburg too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area