Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:17 PM

363 posts, read 558,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Roanoke crime is higher than average and growing worse each year. I live in a city where the overall crime rate is 19 so Roanoke's crime rate of 387 seems like a place I wouldn't want to live.
https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Virginia.html
Except the chart shows crime going down since 2005 and has been reported by the state/feds that it has dropped atleast 50% since 2012. A 4k suburb of a much larger city (Louisville) vs an entire city of 100k is not a fair comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:40 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,344,644 times
As of August 6, there hadn't been a murder in Roanoke this year. The OP lost 4 people though? Not trying to diminish any loss the OP may have had, but the statistics don't seem to support the story. Unless the OP's definition of "Roanoke" is different from the city limits, or unless the OP's definition of "4" is different.

Roanoke hasn't seen a murder in 2014 - WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va

Old 09-04-2014, 04:24 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
Except the chart shows crime going down since 2005 and has been reported by the state/feds that it has dropped atleast 50% since 2012. A 4k suburb of a much larger city (Louisville) vs an entire city of 100k is not a fair comparison.
The size of cities compared does not matter - the crime rates are per 100,000 people I believe so everything is prorated to give a viable comparison. I'm glad that Roanoke's crime is decreasing though. Louisville has it's share of gang crime for sure. We live in the safest city in Kentucky (released study this year).

Old 09-04-2014, 04:49 PM

523 posts, read 655,732 times
Quote:
The size of cities compared does not matter - the crime rates are per 100,000 people I believe so everything is prorated to give a viable comparison. I'm glad that Roanoke's crime is decreasing though. Louisville has it's share of gang crime for sure. We live in the safest city in Kentucky (released study this year).
Yes, but you're still comparing a wealthy neighborhood/suburb to an entire diverse city. A fairer comparison would be South Roanoke (roughly 5,000 residents, most being at least moderately wealthy). I can't find any crime data on that area specifically, but I guarantee its a lot closer to your town's numbers.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:56 AM

2,283 posts, read 4,077,510 times
Quote:
The stats for Louisville (not updated for some reason) look much worse than Roanoke. I guess it is possible to live in Prospect and rarely, if ever, venture into Louisville, since chances are pretty good that you will not make it home safely!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
The stats for Louisville (not updated for some reason) look much worse than Roanoke. I guess it is possible to live in Prospect and rarely, if ever, venture into Louisville, since chances are pretty good that you will not make it home safely!
Like most big cities, Louisville has pockets of crime that cause the overall crime rate to be higher than normal, but the majority of Louisville is safe. Overall, the Stake of Kentucky's crime rate is much lower than the national average...in every category.

We have fabulous services in Prospect and lots of additional services within 15 minutes (we can walk to our grocery store, police and fire departments, city hall, the post office, restaurants, nurseries, hardware store, dentist, doctors, nail & hair salons, dry cleaners, pharmacies, etc.). The police know the residents and the mayor and the police chief have coffee at Starbucks down the street every Friday morning where residents are encouraged to drop by for a chat. Trash is picked up at the back door twice a week - it is a lovely place to live.

We do go downtown (Louisville has one of the best restaurant scenes and lots of cultural events), but we do not even get close to those areas where most of the crime is occurring. We lived in the burbs of LA before retiring to Prospect (my husband was a Los Angeles policeman for 34 years) and it was the same there - our neighborhood and general area was very safe with low crime and the crime-ridden areas were far away and not anywhere near where we ever needed to go.

Criminals unfortunately don't always stay in the crime-ridden areas - they venture into the burbs to see what is available to them.

We are going to downsize to Williamsburg in a few years (we are history nuts and want to volunteer at Colonial Williamsburg. We love Lexington, VA (we have stayed there many times), and considered it as a retirement spot as well but we really like Williamsburg, the northern neck area, the eastern shore, access to DC, lots of airports, etc. We Also looked at Lynchburg and thought it was nice (we attended an event at Poplar Forest), at least the area where we were was nicely kept up, etc.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:02 AM

7 posts, read 15,564 times
Please get real half of the "hoods" u named are just wanna be thugs who wanna live the thug lifestyle.but really living in the burbs driving their moms bmw lmao. Roanoke city for the most part is safe as long as you dont fall into that thug life mentality your good because random violent crimes are VERY rare here.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:27 PM

2,283 posts, read 4,077,510 times
Quote:
We have fabulous services in Prospect and lots of additional services within 15 minutes (we can walk to our grocery store, police and fire departments, city hall, the post office, restaurants, nurseries, hardware store, dentist, doctors, nail & hair salons, dry cleaners, pharmacies, etc.)....
Prospect really does sound like a delightful place to live!

The flavor of neighborhoods can really vary from one part of Roanoke to another...

I have only lived here a year, but I can already tell that there are parts of town where annoying property crime is more common. But I honestly can't think of any part of town where I would not go during daylight hours. There are definitely parts of town in which I would prefer not to live.

The old-timers tell me that downtown used to be a place to avoid, and if that is the case, it has definitely done a total turnaround!

Old 09-07-2014, 06:40 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,666,618 times
The idea that someone could even draw comparisons between Roanoke and Philly or Baltimore makes me wonder if that person has ever even been to Philly or Baltimore. And honestly, Philly is very safe when compared to multiple cities within an hour or so of it. It also sounds like the op came from a bad area elsewhere and automatically went to the worst areas (and even if they are the worst, they are still very tame compared to most really "bad" areas in other cities) of an overall very safe city. Not sure why someone would do that. Especially if they wanted to turn their life around.
I find the original post highly suspect, inflammatory,and troll-like. When did all this violence and these robberies happen? And where was I? Where was WSLS and the Roanoke Times? Most crime here is between lowlife folks and over their lowlife endeavors (drugs, etc). Yeah... you may experience crime if you choose to surround yourself with the people who perpetuate it.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 AM

90 posts, read 217,724 times
Thumbs up Going full circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post

The old-timers tell me that downtown used to be a place to avoid, and if that is the case, it has definitely done a total turnaround!
I think downtown has a lot of potintial. The size is not too big or small.

The city helped opened up a apartment not long ago. http://www.wsls.com/story/25553219/n...starts-leasing

$700 a month is ok if you walk or bike to work. Plus you can get the hook up at the farmers market.
Hell, it is $350 if you have a roomate.

Id say more and more regional college graduates will move to downtown.
Leadership will need to have a good 20 year plan to meet the needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area