Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:04 AM

141 posts, read 383,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks again Stephanie. Not sure if I mentioned this or not but a lot of the issues you appeared to have with Roanoke were job related. As we will be retired this won't be an issue. But you are right about following your head vs heart. I think once the charm of seeing the owner's dog in the coffe shop in Johnson City wears off I will really start to miss the things that are important to me, things Roanoke offers but JC does not.
It does sound like Roanoke would be a better fit for you than Johnson City and a good fit in general. It's clear to me that our different circumstances are important factors to consider. One of my actual complaints about Roanoke was that I often found myself at places or events where the culture and "vibe" felt more oriented toward retirees

My point with this original post way back when was never to say Roanoke was awful for everyone, or even to say that it's awful at all, but to reflect on what I liked about it and what I didn't and to try to make sense of why my feelings about it had soured so much over time. I'm pretty sure I wrote this in my OP, but even I, who ultimately found that Roanoke didn't work for me, was very happy there for at least my first year.

If I was in Roanoke right now, I'd probably want to take a drive up to Catawba, snap some fall foliage photos, and grab a bite at the Homeplace [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 06:15 AM

370 posts, read 326,659 times
Default wha?

Class envy + a touch of mental illness = the OP's screed.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:22 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,229,553 times
843904, I don't see that at all in the OP's posts.

Every place has its pluses and minuses. She openly spoke from her perspective about what she experienced in Roanoke. Overall, this has been a good thread with many thoughtful posts.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:41 PM

370 posts, read 326,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
843904, I don't see that at all in the OP's posts.

Every place has its pluses and minuses. She openly spoke from her perspective about what she experienced in Roanoke. Overall, this has been a good thread with many thoughtful posts.
Fair enough. I suppose I read the missive through the lens of my professional experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area