Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,072 times

Advertisements

I'd like to find out more about the Vinton area. I can't seem to find much online.

I'd like to know the thoughts of the people who live or work near this area. Where has Vinton been and where is it going? What are the people like who choose to live in this area?

I read online there was recently an updating to the downtown, what were the changes? Why did they make them?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 09:09 PM

150 posts, read 213,524 times
We just moved to Vinton from Houston and couldn't be happier. I just wrote a long reply and lost the entire thing so for now, I'll tell you it's a wonderful place to live and that you might learn more by following this Vinton Twitter link:

https://twitter.com/VintonChamber

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2017, 06:37 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,058,344 times
I've got 4 years in the Roanoke area. Vinton has had a mainly positive impression across the years although certainly nothing hip or edgy about it - not even close! My impression is a lot of middle-class stable working class folks. Some more upscale areas as well.

In some ways it has the feel of a small town but of course the fact that it directly adjoins the city of Roanoke makes it also seem like one continuous area. (Honestly it is like living in another part of Roanoke.)

Vinton is a "town" and not a "city" which means that there are some town services and police but it is also under the jurisdiction of Roanoke County. (Salem and Roanoke City - by contrast - are independent cities - and NOT a part of the county - yeah it's a Virginia thing!) This also means that Vinton is a part of Roanoke County Schools. (William Byrd Middle and High School are the local schools.)

What is changing in the last couple years is that there is a concerted effort toward making the downtown area a center of activity. New retail and a greater emphasis on events, farmer's market, small stage, small live theatre venue, etc. Beautiful new library. Two old school buildings are being converted into residential. Quite a bit of change going on.

Unlike other parts of Roanoke County, Vinton is served by the Valley Transit buses so there is some added mobility. Vinton could really have the potential to gradually be transformed into its own unique form of walkable town center with a much more "small town feel" than what will be happening in downtown Roanoke.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:22 AM

65 posts, read 66,054 times
Vinton has always been a place where very little ever changes, including the people. I visited the new Roland Cook lofts
recently(about 2 blocks from the new library donwtown) and I noticed a lot of enthusiasm by the local residents and visitors who see potential in downtown Vinton. I like the farmers market(I wish it could rival Roanokes), the library is outstanding
along with a few new downtown restaurants. Im sure craft beer will catch on soon, like everywhere around Roanoke. Now, we
Need our local developers to stop focusing so much on Brandon, Brambleton Avenue apartment projects and try to develop
new properties in areas such as downtown Vinton, Salem, Roanoke. Perhaps multi story buildings with views. The town centers is where its at these days where one can walk, ride bikes, etc. The interesting thing about downtown Vinton is the closeness
to downtown Roanoke.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,072 times
Thanks everyone! I know its been a while...

Cumbriabeval, I was really hoping you'd post again and share that long reply you lost! It must have been a huge change moving from Houston! Did work bring you to the area or something else?

I got the impression from visiting and driving though Vinton that it was a middle class area, which I like. But the demographic data I've seen actually shows household income averages quite low. Any thoughts on why?

Downtown Vinton seems like it is trying to grow and bring in retail businesses, which interests me, but I'm wondering if the demographics can support them. Do people here have enough disposable income?

Old 07-29-2017, 11:13 PM

Hi Cycle08 ~ On August 15, we'll celebrate 6 months of living in our home in Vinton. We didn't start out looking in Vinton, it just happens to be where we found the right house. You are right, it is a very big change from life in Houston. I was concerned that Roanoke would be too small and now we're living in Vinton. LOL! The thing is, I don't really think that much about living in Vinton because it's so close to Roanoke (which is actually a perfect size -- not too big, not too small). We actually live in Roanoke County, just outside of Vinton city limits but we do have a Vinton address and use Vinton water.

Since I'm still new here, the best I can tell you is Vinton is a very nice little community with low crime and all sorts of homes - a little bit of everything. Take a drive about a mile up Mountain View Rd off Washington and keep going. There are some amazing areas back there -- and some along the way and new homes are being built right now. I won't mention the small row of homes being built that are interfering with my perfect view. It's like - couldn't they just give us a year to enjoy our view? Ha! It's really not so bad but there are a lot of new homes going up nearby.

One thing we've noticed (and we do live off Mountain View Rd) is the area is very hilly and scenic. It seems a little more dramatic to me than Roanoke where the mountains seem a little further out but I could be wrong. Someone told me Vinton is in the mountains whereas Roanoke is in the valley. Again, not sure about that but our home is on a hill and it's nice not having to worry about flooding which was a constant thing in Houston.

To be honest, I still tell old friends I live in Roanoke. We are about 4 miles to downtown and almost everything we do (aside from going to the grocery store), we do in Roanoke. It's very close and convenient so to me, it's all just one big area.

Is there a particular reason you are looking in Vinton? Coming from Texas, it's been an exciting adventure because I've never lived in another state. The things I notice most are how friendly and genuine the people are and how beautiful the overall area is. And the amazing colors of the plant life here are like nothing I've ever seen before. We couldn't be happier with our decision to move to SW Virginia.

Now if someone could please tell me where to find some good Middle Eastern food -- and please don't send me to Cedars or Bethlehem. Finding restaurants as good as those in Houston has been the only negative I have found in living here so life is pretty good. And there are some nice restaurants here so don't get me wrong. Just not finding the Middle Eastern and Mexican we are used to.

My recommendation would be to not focus so much on Vinton because it's just the address of your home (if you were to move here). It's very much a part of the entire metro area and in a wonderful location to get just about anywhere quickly.

Best of luck to you and please let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by cumbriabeval; 07-29-2017 at 11:32 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 07:45 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
Now if someone could please tell me where to find some good Middle Eastern food -- and please don't send me to Cedars or Bethlehem. Finding restaurants as good as those in Houston has been the only negative I have found in living here so life is pretty good. And there are some nice restaurants here so don't get me wrong. Just not finding the Middle Eastern and Mexican we are used to.
A few options, both in Salem. First is Zorba's - an Egyptian cook with a Greek name in an American diner. I know, nothing Middle Eastern in that list but it might scratch your itch a bit.

Here is a news story about it - Zorba used to be the best vendor in Roanoke's Market Building and he moved when they renovated it a few years back.

And the second is a hole-in-the-wall gem called Abrakebabra. Also Mediterranean as opposed to Middle Eastern but Salem is where they filmed
this scene from Borat so, yay, progress!

PS Cedars is awesome!

Last edited by headnsouth; 07-31-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 11:23 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
Now if someone could please tell me where to find some good Middle Eastern food
And this just popped up on my facebook feed - Taste of Syria next Fri. Aug. 11. Local Colors sponsors these midday downtown festivals once a month in good weather w/a different country each time, all countries represented here in Roanoke.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:39 AM

headnsouth ~ Thank you for the recommendations -- and the video clip! LOL! That's hysterical!

OK -- I'll give Cedars another shot, too.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:41 AM

63 posts, read 100,720 times
Default Persian food

Anyone know of Persian food in Roanoke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: