Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 11:48 PM

5 posts, read 3,009 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I am in need of some advice and would greatly appreciate it.

I want to buy this home... The issues are..

This will be my first home so I am new to the process which would be fine, but the home we are trying to buy is not a typical home (yurt plus addition) and it is being sold by the owner without using an agent.

I have not tried, but from the research I have done most lenders will not be able to give me a loan for this type of property. The owners have send me lenders that would be able to give me a loan and I will be contacting them in the next couple days.

Being new to this whole process I need some advice.

If this was your situation what would you do?
And does anyone have more suggestions of lenders I should try giving a call to?
Can I get a real estate agent on my end even if they are not using one to help me through the process?

I am sorry for the headache, but can really use some help here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 10:21 AM

696 posts, read 1,435,967 times
FSBO plus yurt plus no buyer's agent? That's three strikes.

The owner's job is to sell their house. I wouldn't trust a lender the seller recommends after traditional financing falls through. If a traditional lender doesn't want to finance this home, there is good reason. If you haven't already, you can try a credit union - Member One is in Franklin County, I think Valley Star is too. If they won't finance, ask them to explain to you why.

This process sounds pressure-filled. Part of that might be that you are a first time buyer but part of it sounds like it's driven by the seller. Just because the seller wants to avoid realtor commissions doesn't mean the buyer has to give up representation. Bring in a buyer's agent. If the seller balks, then walk away.

And be willing to walk away anyway. It doesn't seem like it right now but there are other perfect homes for you.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:38 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,423,528 times
I'm still wondering what a "Yurt" is ??

Old 07-02-2017, 06:38 PM

13,176 posts, read 21,221,575 times
A Yurt is a round tent like structure supported by an internal lattice type walls and pole roof. Think of those large round Mongolian type tents. Typical modern 'code complaint' Yurts in the USA are constructed on foundations (full, crawl or slab) with internal kitchens and bathrooms. Most 'non code compliant' Yurts are hippy commune type tents, one step above a tepee.

Because the walls and structures don't meet any recognized building or fire codes, they are generally considered alternative structure. Financing for non code compliant Yurts is near impossible unless going to some secondary market. Often when they come up for sale, the building/code inspectors is snooping about so they unload it before they get hit with the violation. If it's permitted, you can usually find some traditional financing if you hunt around and are patient.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 PM

Thank you all very much for this info.

My wife and I are both in the military and I will try contacting USAA and seeing if they will help me finance. I will contact Member One and Valley Star as well.

What would be the best way to find a buyers agent in that area?

If the lenders say they wont help me finance for the reasons Rabrrita mentions in the post, should I walk away or try those secondary lenders?

Old 07-02-2017, 08:19 PM

13,176 posts, read 21,221,575 times
Do you know if the Yurt is permitted? If the structure has been accepted by the AHJ as livable structure and is considered legal, you may have to do some begging and pleading to get a a traditional lender to accept it, but it's not impossible. If it's not legal, no traditional lender will touch it. So, before wasting time, I would go straight to finding out the legal status of the property and structures.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:53 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,246,592 times
There is a yurt forum. Do a search on Google. I quickly found a thread about permanent financing for a yurt.

Like others have suggested, I would be concerned about the legality of this structure.

Good luck.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:05 PM

Okay so they told me...

They have a building permit for the deck and yurt and the foundation is considered a permanent structure.
-They also have a tiny addition that connects to the yurt and I am asking now if that is also permitted.

Have you all heard of Farm Credit and BB&T lenders? Have any of you used them?

I will start looking through the yurt forums more as well.

Thank you

Old 07-03-2017, 09:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,423,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
A Yurt is a round tent like structure supported by an internal lattice type walls and pole roof. Think of those large round Mongolian type tents. Typical modern 'code complaint' Yurts in the USA are constructed on foundations (full, crawl or slab) with internal kitchens and bathrooms. Most 'non code compliant' Yurts are hippy commune type tents, one step above a tepee.
Appreciate the explanation.

I'll have to check some out online.

Not sure if I have ever seen one before.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,246,592 times
Farm Credit is fine. It is a cooperative agricultural lender. I financed a horse trailer through them many years ago. I believe that the rate may be a bit higher, but you receive patronage dividends over time. BB&T is a regular lender.

Here is info on the Farm Credit system:

https://www.farmcreditnetwork.com/about/overview

https://www.farmcreditofvirginias.com/home.aspx

https://www.farmcreditnetwork.com/ab...stem-structure

I would suggest you consider a traditional structure. The difficulties & concerns you are experiencing will be worse when/if you become the seller in the future. Even manufactured housing on a rural lot will be easier to sell than a yurt.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: