Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:39 PM

63 posts, read 100,694 times

Advertisements

Watchful needs to write a book - on life in Roanoke! Seriously! Or maybe just on "life." I'd read that, too!

Hey! If you ever do write a book about Roanoke, I own an advertising agency and design it for you. In fact, I designed and help edit Katrina: Before and After in partnership with the Sun Herald in Biloxi! Roanoke needs one! I've been searching for books on the area and can't find any good ones.

Recommendations anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
Quick note on relocating. We moved from Grandin out to Botetourt County (Cloverdale) in December 2016. Reasons: Lower taxes compared to Roanoke City and Roanoke County, Schools and more land and more house.

I'd say the Cloverdale and Daleville areas are currently the fastest growing "suburbs" right now. The main issue here right now, is available housing. They've added a ton of jobs, but there is a real shortage of affordable homes. Plenty for sale in Ashley Plantation, but you're looking at homes that start at $400k. We feel lucky that we we found our home. Anything that comes on the market in our neighborhood gets a contract within weeks (I'm not embellishing).

Just my $.02

Thank you, RoanokeWahoo! I've read many of your posts as well and your comments have been so helpful to us!

Thank you for the heads up! The reasons we chose 24018 is a) the high schools, and b) land. We really want at LEAST 1 acre but 3 is ideal. We have homeschooled our boys because of the poor schools here. Both of our boys are advanced, straight A students in a TOUGH school (we are in CAVA - VAVA out there). This is the last year of our 13-year-old's homeschool and then we're making him go to public high school. We refuse to do private school. Cave Spring, as I understand, places a lot of emphasis on STEM, which both boys love. He really hopes to get into the Governorts program but we have no idea what the competition is like. What are the schools like in Daleville? Haven't looked at Cloverdale yet but thanks to your heads up, I will do that.

Talk about tax rate - ours in CA is 8.25%!!!!! Roanoke's 5.1% is a huge blessing! What are the taxes in Botetourt? How far away are you from downtown Roanoke? (Probably certainly closer than the mountains where we are currently looking).

I never appreciated the natural segregation of the south but I understand. My kids currently have a wide variety of other-raced kids. And growing up in CA, that's what was normal for me and my husband as well. If Patrick Henry was a GOOD school, I wouldn't be opposed to them attending just because of the race percentages. They need to get along with everyone. It's a complicated issue in the south - and living in Mississippi -- and especially during Katrina -- I get it. It's just really sad.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:54 PM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke Bound View Post
I've been searching for books on the area and can't find any good ones.

Recommendations anyone?
Start with Beth Macy's Truevine.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:57 PM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
Quote:
Our entire family loves studying WWII so anything having to do with that will definitely be on our list.
The National D-Day Memorial is in Bedford, a half-hour east of Roanoke. So you don't even have to go to DC for that. There is also a crash site on Sharp Top Mountain nearby where a B25 Mitchell went down during a training mission in 1943. Info here. It is a beautiful hike.

Quote:
Are the restaurants smoke-free. One good thing about Cali.
Yep thank goodness.

Quote:
How bad ARE fire ants there, if at all?
The border with NC seems to be the dividing line between bugs and BUGS. No fire ants around here. We do have black widows though.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
The Confederate Flag is just expressing Southern Pride more than anything.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

It's interesting that you say that. In my 22 years in Mississippi, I never understood it as a southern pride thing. It was more an emphasis on being intolerant and communicating a definite "us" vs. "them" mentality and without meaning to stereotype, originated from those that were less educated. But no matter -- I just ignore it.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
If Patrick Henry was a GOOD school, I wouldn't be opposed to them attending
Patrick Henry's numbers will be skewed because of economic diversity but it is utilized by families that could clearly afford private (like in South Roanoke which is the wealthiest close-in neighborhood).

I compare that to some wealthy areas of Houston where no one who can afford otherwise uses the public schools.

I would at least take a peek at Patrick Henry - don't write it off completely - especially if you have high achievers! The recently departed city manager's son was valedictorian at PH in 2016 I think it was!

(I will send a direct message soon with some further thoughts re church.)

Old 08-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Watchful -

Sorry to send multiple messages.

I read the thread you suggested.

She mentioned pollution and I had not heard that mentioned before. Is that an issue, and if so, what type? I can't imagine smog being an issue. I did hear about the recent chemical dump in a nearby creek.

Thanks again!

Old 08-03-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
She mentioned pollution and I had not heard that mentioned before. Is that an issue, and if so, what type? I can't imagine smog being an issue. I did hear about the recent chemical dump in a nearby creek.
I think she was generally referring to the industries along the Roanoke River that make some of the Greenway views not exactly pristine.

The Roanoke River was a considerably underappreciated asset for many years. One of my writer friends prefers other places for water sports:

Here is his recent blog piece:

http://fromtheeditr.com/?p=1687

Regionally speaking, people have bemoaned the effects of air pollution on the spectacular Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah National Park viewpoints. However, this article suggests that this has begun to reverse (good news I hope):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.748aa135728c

Old 08-07-2017, 08:52 AM

Here's more on the river with pics...

http://fromtheeditr.com/?p=1741

Old 08-07-2017, 11:34 AM

As always, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area