Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 10:04 AM

150 posts, read 213,611 times

Advertisements

Good Day to All ~ Since this will be our first Fall since moving to Roanoke earlier this year, we are hoping to take some scenic drives. We recently purchased a Go Pro type video camera for the car and would also like to capture some beautiful photographs of the area.

We drove to Peaks of Otter a couple of weeks ago and it is gorgeous (as well as the drive to get there). Can you recommend other drives ~ as far as an hour or two out of Vinton ~ and perhaps also recommend some things to do in that area. We are not big hikers (yet) so more just a pretty place to enjoy a view or somewhere with a nice restaurant.

We are particularly interested in places off the beaten path (off the Blue Ridge Parkway), however, places like Mabry Mill are on the list and I know it is also on the parkway. Also interested in historic sights.

We are really excited to enjoy our first Fall in Virginia. And for those of you reading this who are considering a move to our lovely area -- trust me, just do it. I spent my entire life in Houston, Texas - always loved the mountains and finally followed my heart. Every morning we wake up here, we are so thankful for choosing the Roanoke area. In my mind, it's as good as it gets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 12:23 PM

382 posts, read 867,709 times
There are lots of awesome routes to take and so many things to do depending on what you like.

From Vinton you could take US 220 from Roanoke up to Clifton Forge which is a cute little town and just North of that is Douthat State Park, totally awesome with nothing but trees covering everything but the lake.

Take state route 311 from the 141 exit off I-81 over to Paint Bank then cut up state route 18 to Covington. Very rural and mountainous route but nice. Covington is a bit bigger that Clifton Forge with a cute main area.

You could just take US 11 up to Lexington, 11 is a nice, stress free ride over I-81. Lexington has tons of history, free (I think) horse drawn carriage tours of downtown, and a huge horse park, if you like horses.

You really can't go wrong by just picking any back road and stopping at anything that peaks your courisity, I've been doing it for 15 years and am still finding cool things. Once you get used to the area you'll be surprised just what you can do with a half-day or full day trip.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:44 PM

Thank you, emsman! These are great recommendations!

We aren't looking for adventure, just pretty scenery to enjoy and take photos. Historic sights are great! I look forward to visiting Monticello and similar places of interest. We also love gardens, vineyards, farms -- anywhere with beautiful scenery where we can get out of the car, take a walk and perhaps find some good food.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

Old 10-01-2017, 04:36 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
There is a beautiful waterfall - Falling Springs - not far from Covington - on the road to Hot Springs. Great thing (for some of us haha) is that you don't have to do a hike to go find it - just view it from the side of the road!

The area around Hot Springs is really beautiful and the resort is worth seeing just to drive by. Then you can take Scenic VA 39 from Warm Springs back to Lexington.

Drive past Washington & Lee and VMI when you are in Lexington.

Southern Inn is a great restaurant in Lexington. We did this not too long ago!

Old 10-04-2017, 11:03 PM

Thank you, Watchful. Always so helpful.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:31 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
When going to Monticello, it is really fun to eat at the Michie Tavern - great fried chicken and great ambience!

Old 10-05-2017, 01:20 PM

65 posts, read 66,066 times
Michie Tavern is one of my favorite spots in addition to Monticello and visit Poplar Forest outside Lynchburg. Thomas Jefferson was a big fan of the Peaks of Otter. He would often camp around that area I understand. I am told one can see the Peaks of Otter from the back of Poplar Forest, Jefffersons Lynchburg home. The guide didnt highlight that fact. If you take the Monticello
tour they do talk about Poplar Forest.
For a very remote drive, drive past Buchanan on I 81, get off at Shell station make a right and drive up the road about 8 miles
Into the Jefferson National Forest. A lot of hunters go there during hunting season for bear (you may see one). Drive up the
road to the primitive campground, on the way you will see some beautifull waterfalls and interesting limestone rocks.
You may encounter people fishing also. When I was up there last time I was surrounded by hundreds of butterflys making
their pilgramage south, I assume they pick this place as a rest stop. My hunter friend is still talking about it!
For a totally different experience this drive is an unexpected experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area