Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times

Advertisements

I've said this before but it's worth saying again. School performance is largely pegged to the socioeconomic health of the parents within a school district. It's no secret that the poverty level is higher for children in City schools. Therefore, the statistical averages are dragged down in a City school by kids who have more hurdles both at home and within the microcosm of their urban neighborhood. Look closely, however, and you'll see that there are plenty of children - growing up in middle/upper-middle/upper class families - in those poorly rated City schools who excel and mature into great leaders.

Most of the best performing Roanoke County schools exist because many middle to upper-middle class families moved out of the City, and into the County suburbs during the region's "white flight" movement. Look at all of the kids attending Cave Spring and Hidden Valley and you'll notice that those faces are much, much whiter and less diverse than their City counterparts. This movement is perpetuated now by the advent of the Internet and the "report cards" that determine a school's "rating". As a result, more newly relocated families opt for County schools and homes, even when more attractive and conveniently located and less expensive homes exist within city limits. Most people are surprised when I tell them that next to Roanoke City, rural Franklin County is the 2nd most racially diverse district in the Roanoke Metro. Botetourt County is 97% white for goodness sake. Thankfully the 'burbs are continuing to diversify, but I'm still personally uncomfortable with how white Roanoke County actually is. I consider it something of a symbol of how the more affluent families of a few generations past essentially turned their back on the less fortunate among us.

As to the importance of the these school "ratings", I do believe that there certainly is value. But in order to be accurate assessment tools for parents, the performance statistics should be sub-grouped according to socioeconomic factors. Right now, school ratings do little more than tell you where the middle to upper income families are clustering.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:56 PM

38 posts, read 112,844 times
Live in Botetourt its the shizz too LB highschool is the shizz..

Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,100 times
Vinton is changing. Here's why. It's the Bonsack effect.

Bonsack is a rapidly growing more upscale area that feeds into the William Byrd school system. Nobody who lives in Bonsack is from the area. Development of the large neighborhoods Huntridge, the Orchards, Samuel's Gate, and Plantation Gardens started in the 1990s. They residents are educated and their kids are adding badly-needed new blood and competitive energy to Byrd. Because of these students as well as some new pricier developments in Vinton, William Byrd is now the largest high school in Roanoke County, and they are rapidly catching up to the blue-bloods of Hidden Valley.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:33 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
I've said this before but it's worth saying again. School performance is largely pegged to the socioeconomic health of the parents within a school district. It's no secret that the poverty level is higher for children in City schools. Therefore, the statistical averages are dragged down in a City school by kids who have more hurdles both at home and within the microcosm of their urban neighborhood. Look closely, however, and you'll see that there are plenty of children - growing up in middle/upper-middle/upper class families - in those poorly rated City schools who excel and mature into great leaders.

Most of the best performing Roanoke County schools exist because many middle to upper-middle class families moved out of the City, and into the County suburbs during the region's "white flight" movement. Look at all of the kids attending Cave Spring and Hidden Valley and you'll notice that those faces are much, much whiter and less diverse than their City counterparts. This movement is perpetuated now by the advent of the Internet and the "report cards" that determine a school's "rating". As a result, more newly relocated families opt for County schools and homes, even when more attractive and conveniently located and less expensive homes exist within city limits. Most people are surprised when I tell them that next to Roanoke City, rural Franklin County is the 2nd most racially diverse district in the Roanoke Metro. Botetourt County is 97% white for goodness sake. Thankfully the 'burbs are continuing to diversify, but I'm still personally uncomfortable with how white Roanoke County actually is. I consider it something of a symbol of how the more affluent families of a few generations past essentially turned their back on the less fortunate among us.

As to the importance of the these school "ratings", I do believe that there certainly is value. But in order to be accurate assessment tools for parents, the performance statistics should be sub-grouped according to socioeconomic factors. Right now, school ratings do little more than tell you where the middle to upper income families are clustering.

Sean
I agree 100%.
I graduated from William Fleming High School, probably not the most desirable high school in the area but I loved it. There's so much to offer at that school that you don't really see in other schools (such as the emphasis on music, art, and theater).

Those school ratings would rank the school pretty low (I would imagine) but the education is there. Im a product of that school and i went on to receive a full scholarship to the college im at now and offers from several other schools as well. I scored in the 98th percentile on my SATs. I had the opportunity to be involved in some amazing extra-curricular activities. I went into college with almost a year's worth of credit that transferred from high school. The education is there. The quality teachers are there. And the diversity is definitely there.

As you said, the performance ratings are closely tied to the socioeconomic conditions of the area. A lot of the students in that area have so many hurdles to overcome just to get to school and get an education and its unfair to judge the school (or the individuals) because of this. The ratings tell you how the schools are 'performing' but they never tell you why they are performing at that level.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:28 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,100 times
But Vinton is whiter than white, and until recently, William Byrd has done poorly in comparison with other schools across the board. Football, academics, band, you name it. But as I said, it's starting to change, and it isn't due to race or diversity. It's due to socio-economic forces.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,899 times
the problem with vinton is the out of control police dept.If you have kids that drive expect them to be pulled over and ask to search thir car for no reason,the creative wrighting the chief teaches the officers,he says wright the ticket and see if we can get by with it in court.And if you do get pulled over all 3 on duty will show up and make you look like a felon on the side of road.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,781 times
I live in Vinton. Just stay away from any place that has rental property close by. Total Action Against Poverty...which is renamed " for progress" has been buying homes to place the overflow of low income folks (welfare recipients ) from roanoke. Habitat for humanity has done the same. They've ruined my formerly quiet neighborhood. Vinton police seem to ignore the problems these folks cause, maybe there's a kickback, who knows. Choose wisely

Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvinton View Post
I live in Vinton. Just stay away from any place that has rental property close by. Total Action Against Poverty...which is renamed " for progress" has been buying homes to place the overflow of low income folks (welfare recipients ) from roanoke.

You mean you don't like living in a "vibrant diverse community"?

I used to live in one of those, you get used to living with a loaded gun within arms reach at all times, don't worry!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 AM

4 posts, read 7,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpac View Post
Can anyone tell me about the Vinton area? Saw some houses that appealed to us in our price range but a couple of people I know in Roanoke told me to stay away from Vinton. What gives?
Two things; first off if you live in Vinton you're about a 20 minute drive from anything in Roanoke (malls, theaters, most state government offices) so it can be a bit inconvenient, especially since most of your job openings are going to be in Roanoke.

2nd is the police force. Vinton is notorious for having a very invasive, strict police force. Expect to be stopped by the police if you're out walking after dark, I've even actually had them come up and shine a flashlight in my face when I sitting on my porch a few minutes after midnight. When I go out my front door, I'm far more worried about the police than I am any potential crime. They have the attitude of "let's charge this guy with anything we can and maybe it will stand up in court". And then they don't even have a courthouse in Vinton, so every time the police dream up a charge against you you have to drive 30-40 mins to Salem to get it sorted out.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahriman View Post
Two things; first off if you live in Vinton you're about a 20 minute drive from anything in Roanoke (malls, theaters, most state government offices) so it can be a bit inconvenient, especially since most of your job openings are going to be in Roanoke.
I think 20 minutes is a bit of a stretch. From the center of Vinton to downtown Roanoke city is no more than 15 minutes. I live about 5 mins from downtown and can be in Vinton in about 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area