Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 05:53 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,130 times

Advertisements

well if it snows 1 day and gone the next day or 2 thats a peice o cake, i'm used to once its here, it's here for several days and there's allways that cold that follows like 15-20 night wind chill of 10 or less.

the roads here, they let them get ice packed then go around & put out a handfull of salt only around intersections.

if its over 2 in of snow here the roads are completly packed down & slik, no plows around.

if we were to get say 5 inches or more forget about going anywere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 10:29 AM

21 posts, read 108,184 times
Default Some words of caution about Roanoke

My wife and I have lived in the Roanoke area about 15 months now and we love it. If you like the outdoors, like living in a tranquil, scenic setting this might be the place for you. People are friendly and traffic is... well, what traffic? But unless you're retiring here, get a job first! If you're a white collar worker, it really is tough to get a job in this blue collar town (unless you're an RN, PT, OT, etc). Be forwarned, there is a bit of the "good 'ol boy" mentality in this area.

Also, nobody seems to talk about this in any of the Roanoke forums, but if you have allergy problems, this place is the pits. As most locals know this is one of the worst places in the country for allergies. If this is a problem for you, I don't recommend moving here... Zyrtec, Flonase, or whatever will not help you as much as you think.

Also, because of the mountains and all the traffic on I81, you get alot of smog in the summer time. But hey, no place is perfect!

Old 12-24-2006, 11:10 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRanzolin View Post
Also, because of the mountains and all the traffic on I81, you get alot of smog in the summer time. But hey, no place is perfect!
I pretty much thought that were true since I've checked out air quality sites and Roanoke shows to be pretty polluted at times.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:40 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
Default Living in Roanoke

Steven 2149 has a good sense of Roanoke. Its too bad he doesn't live here now. I am a native of Roanoke but I have been living in Wash. DC for the past 25 years. Upon my return, I agree with MONEY magazine that it is definately one of the top 5 places to live in the U.S. I am noticing more people who retired to Florida from the NE U.S. are now moving back up the coast to NC and VA. So far, the growth rates are much smaller in the Roanoke area than in neighboring NC. I expect those to change in the coming years as I am noticing more construction of shopping centers, homes, etc going up. The problem with the Roanoke area is that it cannot support a large population due to its delicate geography of mountains, streams, etc. It would be a shame if the environment were ruined by over-population and pollution. I think those environmental issues are now being addressed at the local level, but lets face it, this is America. Money is King. The environment always loses!!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,685 times
I could see the place turning around the trend of slow to no growth. I believe it is already in the process of doing that. I don't think you will ever see the supersonic growth of places like Charlotte, D.C, or Atlanta. (That is a good thing) I believe it is the type of place that, if open to more business and ideas, (a little more this and a little more that....) it could conceiveably be one of the most ideal places in the country. If it just had a relatively strong job market and manageable growth, it could get there.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 13,165 times
Smile Seeking info on living in Roanoke area

Looking at finally retiring and leaving the rat race in Washington area. I know I want to go south. My brother in law tells me Roanoke area is beautiful.
Whereever I go there has to be decent hospital/health care, a major airport within an hours drive. Plenty of places to bike, a quilt guild, decent proximity to the chain stores such as Target, Bed Bath Beyond, a good bookstore and hunting nearby for hubby. Can anyone tell me if I am smoking something or are these things available in the area?

Old 10-07-2007, 10:56 AM

102 posts, read 526,755 times
We are relocating to Roanoke next June and I can't wait! The area is gorgeous! Check out Carilion Clinic on the web. They have the largest hospital in the area and will be opening a new med school with VA Tech in 09 or 2010. Biking and outdoor activities galore. Quilting..IDK. Target and most major stores..yes. Hunting...I think that is a definite yes but others would know better than me. I think it sounds like a great fit for you. You should visit it this fall. That's the time to appreciate the beauty the most!

Old 10-07-2007, 11:29 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile Another take on Roanoke and area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
I've dreamed of moving there as I once lived there a long time ago. But I would guess a lot has changed since then.

If anyone who lives there would care to fill me in on how expensive it's gotten or whether new people have moved in or whether it's the same as it was - I'd like hearing your thoughts.
We moved to Roanoke in 1989. We have watched the area grow and prosper, but we also have a home near the Southern Outer Banks of North Carolina.

When we came to Roanoke, we had just finished two years in Columbia, Md which came after two years in Halifax, Nova Scotia so our perspective is pretty broad. My wife and I both grew up in the Mount Airy, NC area.

We found Roanoke a wonderful place to bring up our kids. The friendliness of the people in Roanoke certainly was a treat after living in the more urban world of Maryland.

We absolutely love the Roanoke Farmers' Market, the Grandin Theater, Carvin's Cove, and the wonderful mountain views.

Healthcare is also very convenient in the Roanoke Valley. There is plenty of shopping (Target included) in Roanoke unless you are comparing it to Northern Virginia. However, I expect Valley View Mall to gridlock this holiday season.

Still most people find Roanoke a great place.

Having said that, life in the valley is not perfect. We live in Roanoke County and the property taxes are very high. Flying out of the Roanoke airport is expensive, and driving on Interstate 81 is a nightmare.

I did a post on the NC forum comparing some costs between Roanoke and the NC coast.

The big factor is property taxes plus insurance are somewhere around a third less in North Carolina on the coast even though we have a home right on the water which means we also have flood insurance. Property taxes and insurance on a home without flood insurance would be over 40% cheaper. Most homes don't require flood insurance.

Total costs to heat and cool a home on the Carolina coast also appear to be cheaper than in Roanoke.

There are plenty of new people in and around Roanoke. Christiansburg/Blacksburg has grown up a lot and has become a very vibrant area.

Roanoke has not grown enough to provide a wide variety of jobs so most young people have migrated to Northern Virginia, Richmond, Raleigh, or Charlotte.

We are seeing some migration into Roanoke from people in Northern Virginia.

I find This is Roanoke is an interesting site about Roanoke and this Blacksburg site is starting to develop nicely. You can also visit my View from the Mountain site which has a significant amount of Roanoke information.

Last edited by dsobotta; 10-07-2007 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: left out two words

Old 10-07-2007, 11:57 AM

82 posts, read 639,385 times
Talking For someone who has never been there...

http://visitroanokeva.com/images/imageLib/L1032.jpg (broken link)

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/38/300px-Roanokeskyline.jpg (broken link)

http://www.aaroadtrips.com/virginia200/i-581_nb_exit_004e_01.jpg (broken link)

http://visitroanokeva.com/images/imageLib/L1030.jpg (broken link)

Roanoke has such a small but beautiful skyline doesn't it.
P.S.- Roanoke is a great city if you are considering moving there, it is one of the most liveable cities in the country. The best thing is it is almost a forgotten city, alot of people forget it exists.

Last edited by zvercetti; 10-07-2007 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-07-2007, 08:09 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
This is an early morning shot of Roanoke from the west side of the valley.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area