Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 12:00 AM

15 posts, read 37,703 times

Advertisements

Virginia Tax Form 762 asks you to report ownership of a huge list of items so you can pay yearly personal property tax on them:

The posts I have read on this forum about Roanoke Personal Property Tax make it seem like people only pay this tax on automobiles, boats, motorcycles, and RVs.

But Form 762 asks you to list: Books used in a profession; pianos; all other musical instruments; refrigerators; freezers; sewing machines; dryers; vacuum cleaners, air conditioners; televisions, watches and clocks; tools; bicycles; lawn mowers; furniture; jewelry; precious metals; firearms...and many other items!

Do you people (in Roanoke County) really list all those items and pay PPT on them each year?

The form specifically states that you have to write "none" next to each item that you do not own, so you can't just list your car and leave the other items blank and claim incompetence, and you can't write "none" if you do indeed own the other items because that is intentional deception/tax fraud and punishable.

So what is the true story here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 08:22 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
"Do you people (in Roanoke County) really list all those items and pay PPT on them each year?"

That looks to be a VA State form, applicable to all VA counties...I understand you are hoping for someone in your county to reply, but good luck getting any VA resident to answer honestly....with the ever present practice of harvesting and sharing of social media data, who would knowingly open themselves up to such scrutiny ?
If you only pay county PPT, consider yourself lucky....I also get to pay the same amount of PPT to my town (of 400 people), just for the privilege of living within the town limits. Shame on me for not doing my due diligence. What really sets me off is paying PPT to the town on my boat that resides outside of the town limits, but within the county.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-12-2020, 10:59 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_77479 View Post
Virginia Tax Form 762 asks you to report ownership of a huge list of items so you can pay yearly personal property tax on them:

The posts I have read on this forum about Roanoke Personal Property Tax make it seem like people only pay this tax on automobiles, boats, motorcycles, and RVs.

But Form 762 asks you to list: Books used in a profession; pianos; all other musical instruments; refrigerators; freezers; sewing machines; dryers; vacuum cleaners, air conditioners; televisions, watches and clocks; tools; bicycles; lawn mowers; furniture; jewelry; precious metals; firearms...and many other items!

Do you people (in Roanoke County) really list all those items and pay PPT on them each year?

The form specifically states that you have to write "none" next to each item that you do not own, so you can't just list your car and leave the other items blank and claim incompetence, and you can't write "none" if you do indeed own the other items because that is intentional deception/tax fraud and punishable.

So what is the true story here?

Under VA statutes (State Code Section 58.1-3518), each municipal authority can omit taxation on personal property items "which does not have sufficient value to generate a tax assessment". For any individual's personal property, it seems that all over VA, the only things taxed are vehicles, including, RV's boats, mobile homes, boats, etc. It has been this way as long as I can recall (and I am in my late 60's). The Roanoke County site linked here seems to verify this for individuals: https://www.roanokecountyva.gov/453/Personal-Property

There is a phone number at the bottom of that linked page that you can call. I'd encourage you to do so.

I question if the 762 form applies to individuals. The TITLE of the form appears to mean it is for businesses, who pay this same tax (called "business personal property tax") not only on vehicles, but also on tools, inventory, computers, and everything else on that form. If the OP picked up this form on some generic tax website, then it may well be the wrong form for an individual in Roanoke County. I run a business in Augusta County, and the business pays the 'business personal property'; we have to list the tangible equipment assets for the business, and add to it each year if we acquire new equipment. Augusta County has their own forms for this.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
If you only pay county PPT, consider yourself lucky....I also get to pay the same amount of PPT to my town (of 400 people), just for the privilege of living within the town limits. Shame on me for not doing my due diligence. What really sets me off is paying PPT to the town on my boat that resides outside of the town limits, but within the county.
I just looked up Boydton's personal property tax rate and it is relatively low at $0.88 per $100 of value. Mecklenburg County is $3.36 per $100.

It may be that you are paying part of this tax to the Town of Boydton and the other part to Mecklenburg County....??? You would have to pool at the assessed item values and the tax on each item to see what effective overall rate to which it added up. It seems odd that you would pay to both municipal gov'ts.....

Old 10-12-2020, 02:19 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,060,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Under VA statutes (State Code Section 58.1-3518), each municipal authority can omit taxation on personal property items "which does not have sufficient value to generate a tax assessment". For any individual's personal property, it seems that all over VA, the only things taxed are vehicles, including, RV's boats, mobile homes, boats, etc. It has been this way as long as I can recall (and I am in my late 60's). The Roanoke County site linked here seems to verify this for individuals: https://www.roanokecountyva.gov/453/Personal-Property

There is a phone number at the bottom of that linked page that you can call. I'd encourage you to do so.

I question if the 762 form applies to individuals. The TITLE of the form appears to mean it is for businesses, who pay this same tax (called "business personal property tax") not only on vehicles, but also on tools, inventory, computers, and everything else on that form. If the OP picked up this form on some generic tax website, then it may well be the wrong form for an individual in Roanoke County. I run a business in Augusta County, and the business pays the 'business personal property'; we have to list the tangible equipment assets for the business, and add to it each year if we acquire new equipment. Augusta County has their own forms for this.
THANKS so much for the info.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,168 times
I've lived in Virginia for over 50 years and I have never had to complete Form 762. As far as I know, it only applies to business property.

When you move to a Virginia county, city, or town you have a set time to report to the Commissioner of Revenue personal property, as defined by the local jurisdiction (see their web site for details) and it's usually limited to motor vehicles, including aircraft and watercraft.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:33 AM

94 posts, read 108,541 times
What about witchcraft?

Old 01-03-2021, 02:36 PM

That's only in Massachusetts. In olden days, it was a pretty serious 'tax' LOL

Old 01-04-2021, 08:28 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAustin View Post
What about witchcraft?
So long as you are not turning people into frogs or casting spells for profit, the purchase of cauldrons, cloaks and bat parts are not subject to Virginia's personal property tax. However, you will want to check since getting plates for brooms could trigger the personal property tax as it would be considered a vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: