Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 10:21 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Thank you Paul and others for this thread and these impressions. My husband and I have lived in Massachusetts for the last 3 years but lived in Florida for 15 years prior to that. We're planning on retiring in just over 5 years so we've started doing our homework on places to retire and Roanoke has been bubbling up to the top. I think we may need to make a trip down there to see for ourselves!
CITY-DATA really helped us figure out what we were looking for years ago. We took some mini-trips here many years ago and chose to stay in a B&B and it really helped us get a feel for the area - and we did this in different times of year.

We'll leave the light on for ya CrowGirl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,819 times
Smile Are tattoos and piercings frowned upon?

This was a great read! Thank you for taking the time to share.

My partner and I are thinking of moving to Roanoke from Rochester, NY in September of this year. I work in healthcare (patient registration) and he works in Hospitality. My partner is originally from Rochester and I am from the UK. We both have tattoos and subtle facial piercings. Do employers in Roanoke generally frown upon piercings?

We're also wondering what might be a good starting area to rent - we are a drug-free, alcohol-free household with one dog and one cat. We're looking for an area that is safe but reasonably priced. Any thoughts you can share from experience would be much appreciated.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:52 AM

396 posts, read 417,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM585 View Post
. We both have tattoos and subtle facial piercings. Do employers in Roanoke generally frown upon piercings?
While some love to tout how liberal Roanoke city is (which it really isn't that liberal), you have to remember that you would be in SWVA, the reddest part of the state. Values and rules of decorum locally may place you at a employment disadvantage in your chosen field based on your piercings/tats. Food for thought.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:39 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
While some love to tout how liberal Roanoke city is (which it really isn't that liberal), you have to remember that you would be in SWVA, the reddest part of the state. Values and rules of decorum locally may place you at a employment disadvantage in your chosen field based on your piercings/tats. Food for thought.

Oh bull. Get away with this poor advice.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM585 View Post
This was a great read! Thank you for taking the time to share.

My partner and I are thinking of moving to Roanoke from Rochester, NY in September of this year. I work in healthcare (patient registration) and he works in Hospitality. My partner is originally from Rochester and I am from the UK. We both have tattoos and subtle facial piercings. Do employers in Roanoke generally frown upon piercings?

We're also wondering what might be a good starting area to rent - we are a drug-free, alcohol-free household with one dog and one cat. We're looking for an area that is safe but reasonably priced. Any thoughts you can share from experience would be much appreciated.
Plenty of tattoos and piercings but an employer may or may not see that as an issue. I think it is more of an employer thing than a region thing! Others may wanna chime in!

Old 06-21-2021, 05:59 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Hello everybody. Based on what I have seen in the Roanoke area, it is six a dozen of one and half a dozen of the other.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:01 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
I will say this, I don't see them as a plus in business, most of them anyway.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:42 AM

396 posts, read 417,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Oh bull. Get away with this poor advice.
When one is in a customer facing position, as OP has mentioned, tats/piercings are seen as a detriment. That cannot be argued. Not everyone you face is into modification or alternative living, and employers know this. Especially in a hospital setting.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:45 AM

120 posts, read 139,771 times
Agree they are not a plus for a business. They're .... distracting. And busy. They do accomplish their purpose in drawing attention, however, and for some businesses it may be appropriate - coffee shops, funky retail stores, etc.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:11 AM

ExAustin and PaulFromHouston...

I thought of you both when I got the birria tacos from the Mama Jean's food truck yesterday. Check out their Facebook page - they are only open certain days and the menu varies. The brisket is the best in Roanoke (yeah...I know...but still...) and these tacos were just amazing! I will be scoping them out again. Right now they are in a food truck on Brambleton but will soon move to a new location near Towers (saw that in yesterday's Times).

Speaking of tacos...I am hooked on the breakfast tacos at Scratch Biscuit. One of the few places that has really good homemade tortillas - makes all the difference. Of course their biscuits are good, but the tacos are stellar. Village Grill is run by the same people so I wonder if their tacos/quesadillas are good. And the lunchtime po-boys at Scratch aka PJ's Po-Boys have amazing bread and so many combinations.

Check those places out. My son heard from someone about an authentic Mexican place, and I will try to find out what it is and go scope it out. In the meantime, don't miss these two! It was so good to get back to H-town and load up on my favorites over Labor Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area