Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 03:31 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times

Advertisements

After a Radford graduation this Saturday will drive back up 81 N/B and likely stop in Salem to eat lunch. I would think we would get there around noonish. If we have a group of 6 what restaurant would you choose that is a nice sit down. Highest rated is not required but good food would be nice. One in the party will only eat Chicken when it comes to meat if this influences your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 05:12 PM

6,571 posts, read 8,422,931 times
I don’t have a recommendation for Salem but about 30 minutes north at the Buchanan exit a small restaurant just off 81 called Foot of the Mountain Cafe. Good food, great views and beer on tap.

https://www.fotmcafe.com/home

Old 04-27-2021, 05:40 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,482,883 times
I'd steer you to Macado's in downtown. I think of it as a higher end sandwich restaurant. Pretty good food, and a good variety. You can check the menu online; I see a couple of chicken entree's.

Get off at exit 140, turn left to head downtown. When you reach Main St (old RT 11), turn right and Macado's will be on your left after < a block, right across from the Roanoke County Courthouse. There is an entrance to parking beside the restaurant, leading to the back, or you can find parking on the nearby streets.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I don’t have a recommendation for Salem but about 30 minutes north at the Buchanan exit a small restaurant just off 81 called Foot of the Mountain Cafe. Good food, great views and beer on tap.

https://www.fotmcafe.com/home
Likely too far as everyone will be starving by the time we get out of Radford as we all will be starting very early.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
I'd steer you to Macado's in downtown. I think of it as a higher end sandwich restaurant. Pretty good food, and a good variety. You can check the menu online; I see a couple of chicken entree's.

Get off at exit 140, turn left to head downtown. When you reach Main St (old RT 11), turn right and Macado's will be on your left after < a block, right across from the Roanoke County Courthouse. There is an entrance to parking beside the restaurant, leading to the back, or you can find parking on the nearby streets.
I can bring it up but the consensus is to stay as close to 81 as possible as it is such a long day anyway without driving into Roanoke.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:03 AM

2,283 posts, read 4,073,125 times
Angelle’s is nothing fancy but a good variety and very close to the Interstate!

Old 04-28-2021, 08:38 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,482,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I can bring it up but the consensus is to stay as close to 81 as possible as it is such a long day anyway without driving into Roanoke.
That is a big part of why I mentioned Macado's: ease of access. I first thought of directing you to the New Yorker Deli but then you'd have to fight your way down Williamson Road in Roanoke.... I figured that would not make you popular LOL.

Macado's is in downtown Salem, not downtown Roanoke. It is just a bit over 1 mile from the 140 exit to Main Street in Salem, with NO traffic lights and just 1-2 small businesses on that road; you only have 1 light to deal with, at Main Street. It takes 2-3 minutes, driving at 35 mph, to reach Macado's from the Interstate. Far, far easier than getting off at any other exit in the Roanoke Valley... similar to getting off of I-81 and going to downtown Edinburg.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:46 AM

349 posts, read 245,573 times
Another downtown option (when I lived in the area several years ago - just checked and it’s still open) is Mac and Bob’s. Downtown Salem isn’t that far from the interstate. Maybe 5 minutes, if that.

https://www.macandbobs.com/

Old 04-28-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
That is a big part of why I mentioned Macado's: ease of access. I first thought of directing you to the New Yorker Deli but then you'd have to fight your way down Williamson Road in Roanoke.... I figured that would not make you popular LOL.

Macado's is in downtown Salem, not downtown Roanoke. It is just a bit over 1 mile from the 140 exit to Main Street in Salem, with NO traffic lights and just 1-2 small businesses on that road; you only have 1 light to deal with, at Main Street. It takes 2-3 minutes, driving at 35 mph, to reach Macado's from the Interstate. Far, far easier than getting off at any other exit in the Roanoke Valley... similar to getting off of I-81 and going to downtown Edinburg.

That sounds reasonable. I was thinking further into downtown Roanoke.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luo2013 View Post
Another downtown option (when I lived in the area several years ago - just checked and it’s still open) is Mac and Bob’s. Downtown Salem isn’t that far from the interstate. Maybe 5 minutes, if that.

https://www.macandbobs.com/
Forgot about that place. My wife and I ate there two years ago on a date weekend out and we liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area