Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 PM

109 posts, read 397,830 times

Advertisements

Why would you want to move from Seattle? I've got a friend who lives out there, way more open minded people. Why move across the country to live in S.W. Va? Don't do it. This is a backwards place. I don't care what people are telling you on this message board, this place is not tolerant, and not progressive at all. I know I'll get some heat for this post, but believe me I see intolerance here on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM

27 posts, read 85,301 times
Sigh. There is intolerance everywhere on a daily basis. I think so much of what you perceive to be the attitude/vibe in places and in people corresponds directly with the attitude and vibe that you give off. If you're looking to be offended then you will be and if you're seeking to be tolerant and kind and to try to find the best in people (not always) but more often than not, you will find the same.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 PM

28 posts, read 119,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokers View Post
Why would you want to move from Seattle? I've got a friend who lives out there, way more open minded people. Why move across the country to live in S.W. Va? Don't do it. This is a backwards place. I don't care what people are telling you on this message board, this place is not tolerant, and not progressive at all. I know I'll get some heat for this post, but believe me I see intolerance here on a daily basis.
Well, I guess "open minded" means different things to different people...

1 - To some, it means "everybody thinks the way I do and agrees with my world view (or ideas, ideals, beliefs, etc.)".

2 - To me, it means that everyone is respected regardless of their 'world view'.

Seattle fits into #1 to a tee. It is very liberal and has the same problems that a very conservative city would have. That is, it is about as closed-minded as you can get for such a large city.

In Seattle - Kids can get kicked out of school for wearing t-shirts that have a picture of a gun. Hucklebury Finn has been discussed as a book that should be banned. People who want to cut down a tree *in their own yard* can be prevented from doing so. SUVs are targets of vandalism. WTO riots - we got the best ones in the WORLD baby! Xmas trees were removed from the international airport a year or two ago - you know - too religious and all that.

I actually love Seattle...but let's not go calling it "open minded". You'd be just as accurate calling it a jar of peanut butter.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 PM

246 posts, read 783,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrachel View Post
Sigh. There is intolerance everywhere on a daily basis. I think so much of what you perceive to be the attitude/vibe in places and in people corresponds directly with the attitude and vibe that you give off. If you're looking to be offended then you will be and if you're seeking to be tolerant and kind and to try to find the best in people (not always) but more often than not, you will find the same.
I agree--I think people find what they want to see, regardless of reality.

Back on topic, Floyd, Franklin, Patrick, and Carroll are all going to be very similar in most aspects. Floyd is going to offer more (dare I say) culturally if you're into its unique combination of hillbilly folkishness and counter-culture. But the other three all have their attractions and charm. For the specifics on building codes, zoning, water & septic, etc., I'd contact the local county govts. But I don't think you'll find much difference. Patrick and Carroll are both farther from the Big City than Franklin or Floyd.

Have you considered Craig County or the Catawba Valley in Roanoke County?

Woltz & Associates are known to list some prime land from time to time. They seem to list kinda high, but it's fun to window shop. http://www.woltz.com

Land may be more expensive near Smith Mountain Lake in Franklin County, but it's all rather cheap elsewhere. Becoming more expensive, yes. But nowhere near what people in more urban areas pay.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 PM

109 posts, read 397,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopeses View Post
Well, I guess "open minded" means different things to different people .... Xmas trees were removed from the international airport a year or two ago - you know - too religious and all that.
If those who removed the "Xmas tree" would have done their homework they would know that the origins of the tree actually came from paganism during the Yule celebrations of the winter solstice. Christians hijacked this symbol to stand for Christ-mass. I see nothing wrong with a "yule" tree. So the removal of the tree was wrong, on that point we agree.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,195,620 times
Quote:
Is Franklin co. also pretty hands-off as far as building restrictions go (like Floyd co.)?
I wouldn't say that either county is hand's off with respect to building restrictions. I'd say that both are in the same ballpark though. Also, some restrictions would be state-wide. Many aspects of road construction are in the jurisdiction of the Virginia Department of Transportation. Certain aspects may be in the domain of the environmental board, etc. On the whole though, I'd say the the state is pretty flexible and both Floyd and Franklin County are as well.

How is this for flexible. I've got a friend in Ferrum who built a substantial Yurt. I mean, the Yurt has a wraparound deck, etc The Yurt is on friend's farmland (i.e., they don't own the land but were granted permission). They have no septic system. They have an electric composting toilet, and once a Ferrum professor provided a letter on the design, Franklin County cleared their gray water system (the graywater simply is distributed in a very basic drainfield with no septic system). In Floyd, I know some folks who live in a converted school bus. On blocks. In the middle of the woods. I'm not sure Floyd County cleared that, but when your population is only 14,000 and your land area is 383 square miles, you don't have a ton of money to be hiring enough zoning folks to keep everyone in check

Quote:
Are land prices between Franklin co. and Floyd co. pretty comparable?
It depends on where you're looking. Since northern Franklin County is more convenient to dowtown Roanoke (15-25 minute drive), land here can be pricier than in Floyd. For example, take the Cahas Green subdivision which you can see in my webcam:

The white house you can see being built sits on a 5 acre lot (3 horses allowed per 5 acre lot) that the owners bought for about $110K the beginning of the year (about $22K an acre). That's probably the highest you'd pay in a subdivision so that's your top-end in northern Franklin County. Houses in that subdivision lean toward the higher end. One couple from Indiana bought three lots for about $300K and apparently they're going to be building quite the house. For wooded ridgeland in the Steeplechase subdivision that backs up to our farm, folks are now paying about $15K an acre. In that subdivision, people are friendly but have a live and let live policy. Two of the homeschooling families I spoke of earlier live in the Steeplechase subdivision. I've got a 32 acre tract w/ 10 acres of open pasture and some pretty phenomenal ridgeland views that will be going up for sale pretty shortly. I won't link to it because I don't want to violate city-data policies but if you can find my blog you can find a recent post on the proposed land sale.

Franklin County near Ferrum is much more affordable than northern Franklin County. It's probably in the same price neighborhood as rural Floyd County some distance from the town of Floyd. Floyd County close-in to town would be comparable to northern Franklin County prices.

Sean

Old 07-25-2008, 09:26 AM

Thanks again guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Have you considered Craig County or the Catawba Valley in Roanoke County?
The one parcel per house rule in Roanoke County may rule that out for us. We don't particularly want to be near Roanoke either - nothing against it, just looking for something further afield. That said, I have heard of the Catawba Valley and we may just check it out when we are in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor
I wouldn't say that either county is hand's off with respect to building restrictions. I'd say that both are in the same ballpark though. Also, some restrictions would be state-wide. Many aspects of road construction are in the jurisdiction of the Virginia Department of Transportation. Certain aspects may be in the domain of the environmental board, etc. On the whole though, I'd say the the state is pretty flexible and both Floyd and Franklin County are as well.

Great points - and I love the yurt example! Overall, rural VA does sound very flexible. We'll check everything out of course before we pull the trigger on a particular place.

Converted schoolbuses - I've seen a lot of those out my way too. It's a hippie tradition!

Quote:
It depends on where you're looking. Since northern Franklin County is more convenient to dowtown Roanoke (15-25 minute drive), land here can be pricier than in Floyd. For example, take the Cahas Green subdivision which you can see in my webcam:
Love it! You don't happen to have an online live webcam do you? I'd love to take a live look at the weather and scenery now and then

Quote:
The white house you can see being built sits on a 5 acre lot (3 horses allowed per 5 acre lot) that the owners bought for about $110K the beginning of the year (about $22K an acre). That's probably the highest you'd pay in a subdivision so that's your top-end in northern Franklin County. Houses in that subdivision lean toward the higher end. One couple from Indiana bought three lots for about $300K and apparently they're going to be building quite the house. For wooded ridgeland in the Steeplechase subdivision that backs up to our farm, folks are now paying about $15K an acre. In that subdivision, people are friendly but have a live and let live policy. Two of the homeschooling families I spoke of earlier live in the Steeplechase subdivision. I've got a 32 acre tract w/ 10 acres of open pasture and some pretty phenomenal ridgeland views that will be going up for sale pretty shortly. I won't link to it because I don't want to violate city-data policies but if you can find my blog you can find a recent post on the proposed land sale.

Franklin County near Ferrum is much more affordable than northern Franklin County. It's probably in the same price neighborhood as rural Floyd County some distance from the town of Floyd. Floyd County close-in to town would be comparable to northern Franklin County prices.
$22k an acre is probably out of our price range. Especially considering how much land we'd ideally like (20 acres at a minimum...ideally 40 or more).

I've seen some props in Floyd county that must be far from Floyd that were as low as $2k per acre. I suppose something that low has probably got issues though.

I tend to shy away from subdivisions because the regs can get in the way or change under your feet.

I'll certainly be checking out your blog today!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,195,620 times
The web cam is linked on my blog in the right column. You can bookmark the webcam image url and it will update during non-nighttime hours every minute.

Cheers,

Sean

Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Love it! You don't happen to have an online live webcam do you? I'd love to take a live look at the weather and scenery now and then
Nevermind - found it! Might need to make that my home page

The property looks awesome! I am sure you will find a buyer real fast. We won't be ready to buy anything until at least next year, so we're out of the running (boo!).

Old 07-25-2008, 10:38 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,665,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post

How is this for flexible. I've got a friend in Ferrum who built a substantial Yurt. I mean, the Yurt has a wraparound deck, etc
she said it was something like a 2000 sq ft deck too, right? they're livin the good life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area