Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times

Advertisements

As an associate for Ukrop's I can tell you something, I would much rather work for them than Walmart. I am very proud to be part of such a great company. Yes I do shop at Walmart and I am not dissing it but I think you need to think about all that Ukrop's does for the local area. Giving tons of food to the Roanoke Mission each day.. Giving produce to the Roanoke animal welfare group.. Giving to various local churches and schools.. the list could go on. Ukrop's has done great things for this area and if the people of Roanoke give us a chance it will just keep doing good.. Look at Richmond, people are loyal to us because of how great we are to the community we serve. And Btw our prices are very comparable to other stores.. Have you been in lately? Yes some things can be more expensive (ie the pepsi's the person mentioned in the post above mine) but other things are cheaper and at the end it evens it up. I am confident that in the end we will get through this and be able to stay in the valley. I pray that we do because if we dont lots of people will be affected. Merry Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
WalMart pays people in Virginia, pays local property and sales taxes and many people in VA are invested in WalMart stock one way or another. A narrow isolationist view is uneconomic and silly. A successful Walmart store is better for the economy than a failing store of another brand and provides better value to buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
You know, the Hotel Roanoke provides great service, too, but a lot more folks stay at the Holiday Inn.
True Reminds me of an old entrepreneur's quote that goes something like "Feed the rich, eat with the poor. Feed the poor, eat with the rich."

Sean

Old 12-24-2008, 07:59 AM

5 posts, read 13,940 times
Wishing Ukrops, its employees, its customers and the Roanoke Valley communities it serves a prosperous 2009.

Happy Holidays

Old 12-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlo View Post
Wishing Ukrops, its employees, its customers and the Roanoke Valley communities it serves a prosperous 2009.

Happy Holidays
Thanks!! We had a very busy 2 days! Sales were good!! Again thanks!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:40 AM

246 posts, read 782,265 times
Glad sales were good. Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-28-2008, 04:48 PM

5 posts, read 13,940 times
We shopped there Friday morning, the day after Christmas and enjoyed a cup of coffee in your second floor sitting area before we left. The cafe area is very nice and so is the store. Wound up back there on Saturday for round two of the whitehouse rolls to compliment yet another holiday feast for the weekend.

Cheers

Old 12-29-2008, 03:01 AM

117 posts, read 392,213 times
To many of you who are hesitant due to their high prices on everyday necessities, at least go try out their deli. In Richmond, Ukrop's was the next best thing to your distant mom when you were sick and needed to eat. Their potato salad is amazing. MANY things about their deli foods are amazing, and it was great they mostly always had small amounts for single people.

For average people, Ukrop's seems to me to be better suited for stuff like that, then expecting to buy toilet paper, etc, on a regular basis. Anyone who ever moved away from Richmond misses Ukrop's like crazy. Whole Foods/Fresh Market still aren't quite the same.

Give Ukrop's more chance. You may surprise yourselves.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,007 times
We like to go on Sat when they mark down a lot of the prepared foods..At least in the Williamsburg Store. Funny thing my mother in law used to throw the containers away so I would think she made the different dishes ! I will admit their prices have come down recently. We are starting to shop there more and more.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
What's with the no alcohol/closed on Sunday policy?
But, I'll bet those holy rollers can't sell enough cigarettes...

Meanwhile, Wegman's, by far the best grocery store chain on the East Coast, has a SUPER wine department but refuses to sell tobacco products.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
What's with the no alcohol/closed on Sunday policy?
But, I'll bet those holy rollers can't sell enough cigarettes...

Meanwhile, Wegman's, by far the best grocery store chain on the East Coast, has a SUPER wine department but refuses to sell tobacco products.
Ukrop's Roanoke dosnt sell Tobacco products either.. Yes select stores in Richmond do but they have been phased out in most stores. Soon none will be sold throughout the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area