Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:39 PM

31 posts, read 56,340 times

Advertisements

Ok a little while back I asked on a thread why all the excitement about a new Wegmans. Maybe it was lost in the thread. It seems to be a common theme through out a lot of posts, you guys seem a little nutty over a grocery store. Can some one please explain!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 12:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenj View Post
Ok a little while back I asked on a thread why all the excitement about a new Wegmans. Maybe it was lost in the thread. It seems to be a common theme through out a lot of posts, you guys seem a little nutty over a grocery store. Can some one please explain!!!

Best & worst grocery stores 2010

Maybe this will help to explain it.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:09 PM

350 posts, read 1,091,062 times
If you shopped there you would understand ... no other grocery store quite like it. Definitely tops for grocery shopping experience and customer service. I'm moving to the Boston area and I miss shopping there already ...

Old 06-19-2010, 09:17 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,689 times
Have you ever shopped at a Wegman's before and then compared it to other grocery store chains...
I can tell you, I am from Rochester, I have lived in Jersey,PA & MD and although Wegman's has now made their way into these states, none are (or have been ) close enough to use as our daily stop...
Unfortunately, we have had to deal with Food Lion-which by far is the WORST grocery store that has ever existed! Safeway-way too expensive for the products they offer and GIANT-which is okay... that is where we choose to shop but only because there isn't a Wegman's that is convenient.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:54 AM

131 posts, read 793,019 times
We moved to Rochester from Westchester county three years ago. I can't believe what I put up with in terms of grocery stores while I was there. Even the so-called "high-end" ones were nothing compared to Wegmans. At Wegmans you get excellent customer service, clean, beautiful stores with wide aisles for your carts, a huge variety of prepared foods, in-store cafes and seating areas for eating, lovely produce sections with quite a few locally-grown varieties in the summer months. Where we used to live the stores were cramped and often not too clean, service was indifferent at best and sometimes worse, produce selection was limited, even in summer.
I will say that our closest Wegmans is the Pittsford one and it can sometimes be a zoo, especially on weekends and before holidays. And the Rochester Public Market has better prices for fruits & vegetables (and other stuff, too), so this summer I've started going there for produce when I can. But Wegmans really is the only grocery store I've actually looked forward to going to. Before we moved here, we used to visit family and make a stop at Wegmans just to enjoy it. And my kids (high-schoolers/college aged) go there with their friends. What other store would attract teenagers on prom night? :-)

Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,637 times
Its just a nice grocery store. Good, fresh food, good selection and a helpful staff. Compared to most Tops, they seem so much cleaner and up to date. The downsides, many are extremely busy, like the Wegmans on East ave, the prices are often higher. I also like the takeout food, their subs actually have meat on them and are a meal in itself.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:59 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
I gotta agree it's a little overrated.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
I never saw what the big deal was until I had to use supermarkets in other areas of the country(price shopper, p&c, food lion, shop rite, publix). All of the other places are horrible compared to Wegmans.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 AM

25 posts, read 100,100 times
Oh, believe me, I will miss Wegmans very much when I leave in a few weeks. People can laugh all they want about everyone loving a grocery store, but there is a reason for this. I'm not happy about having to return to grocery shopping at Superstore or Super Walmart ... blahhhh

Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 PM

31 posts, read 56,340 times
I have been to Wegmans before, they opened one not far from where I currently live and I will be honest I found it comprable to the newer Shoprites. I guess once we are up there I will see for myself!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area