Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:17 PM

27 posts, read 85,138 times

Advertisements

Greetings! My Fiance and I are looking to move to a new city, and first up on our list is Rochester N.Y. We visited the city and the surrounding suburbs of Irondiqoidt (Sp?) and Brighton yesterday, and we thought that most of what we saw was wonderful enough to warrant a second more extensive weekend trip soon.

In the meantime however, we were curious as to where the Middle to Upper-Middle class African American communities are, or, at the least, where the upwardly mobile "diverse" communities are in Rochester ('burbs included)?

Keep in mind I've spent a couple of hours now reading topics here that I've found, and I don't expect to find many communities of Middle to Upper Middle class communities like those in Georgia or in the Cambria Heights, Queens, or Lakeview, Long Island. But one or two would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 08:54 PM

41 posts, read 216,553 times
The suburbs of Rochester are all quite diverse. The closer in ones like Irondequoit, West Irondequoit, parts of Greece and Henrietta have more black residents then the rest. I dont know of any black communities as such, except in the city itself. I dont think you will feel unwelcome anywhere around here. Schools are very good except in the city.
Housing prices are low but property taxes are very high. Real Estate does not appreciate very much because of this and the low job growth.
It is a nice place to live and raise a family.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 AM

27 posts, read 85,138 times
Wow, the lack of responses are telling, lol! Be that as it may, thank you VERY much lowcountry for your reply, we really appreciate it! Driving around Sunday, we noticed Irondequoit had some of our people there. After talking with one resident, she referred us also to Henrietta, and Gates (Places where two of her sister's live.)

I must say though, Brighton is looking like the place to be. I understand there is a large population of Jewish folk there, as well as other groups, and I understand the school system there is phenominal. The only real concern I have is that when our children become old enough to begin celebrating our culture in earnest, well, where exactly would they do that besides home, you know?

In any case, thanks again friend, and I hope your 4th was a wonderful one!

~JourneyLife

Old 07-05-2007, 06:59 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
I'm in Irondequoit and about half the people on my street are black.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 AM

897 posts, read 2,458,137 times
Here is the insight of the African American population in Rochester msa. Currently 80% of the African American population lives in side the city of Rochester. With the entire Rochester msa population 85% live in poverty. Average wage is 28,000 a year. Household income is $44,841. Only 8% have a bachelor’s degree. Most populated areas are Rochester 80%, Greece 2.9%, Henrietta 6.9%, gates 6.4%, and irondequoit 3.5%. If you had to pick middle class areas it would be Greece, gates, and Henrietta which average household in is $48,000 to $60,000 per household. Irondequoit is just a spill over from the city. 47% of irondequoit African American population lives in poverty. If I had to choose an area that is upper middle class it would be in the same area's of the white population like Penfield, perinton, victor, and Mendon. They average about $75,000 to about a $100k average household income. The only down side is the population is very small. The African American populations in those communities only make up about .9 to 1.3%. Brighton seems to be middle class area. My experiences is that is really very hard to Be in a middle to upper middle class in Rochester due to you will be a very small minority. You will have some hard times finding people that really relate in the African American community to you if you live closer to upper-middle. If you like to get certain hair care products (ex. braids) you more than likely have to go to a very bad neighborhoods in the city to get them done. The people in the suburbs are pretty friendly they do not bother anyone. If you’re in the city it is mixed depending the neighborhood. The reason I know this is because I am in an inter-racial relationship. I have had experiences all over the Rochester area, which most are good.Good luck

Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 AM

525 posts, read 1,828,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Irondequoit is just a spill over from the city. 47% of irondequoit African American population lives in poverty.
While that may be true for some parts of Irondequoit that is near the city borders, there is an element of African American population in the middle class areas of Irondequoit as well (e.g., north of Titus).

Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
Which parts of Irondequoit are they living in poverty? I live about 3 blocks from the city border and the majority of african americans own their homes around here. I don't see any run down slum apartments.
Are those high rise apartments off of hudson considered Irondequoit? That would make a lot of sense.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 PM

897 posts, read 2,458,137 times
My information is from the us. census. It shows the total african population and then breaks down the income and poverty. It show the average household income was around 30-35k. Which just an individual making 20k in the US is consider poverty.This could have change a little since the last census but I don't think it is that much of a difference.
I don't know where they live the data set does not look at specific neighborhood. It looks like only 23%-35% rent about 65-70% own homes.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 13,738 times
Default Consider the South Wedge

I know you are looking at the suburbs, but there are some diverse city neighborhoods with reasonable elementary schools (no not the quality of Brighton, but not abysmal either).
We live on Linden St in the South Wedge, have a huge greenspace behind our yard (89 bird species have visited our yard). There are Black families, White families, and mixed race families, as well as a bunch of old timers who've lived there for 50 yrs. We have block parties and a neighborhood softball team. A public library and community center are right down the street.
We're white parents raising an African American boy, so we wanted to make sure there are people with whom to celebrate culture!
Good Luck

Old 08-06-2007, 11:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
Shibainu you need to get a clue....first of all, the city of Rochester is not 80% black, it is 38% black.....yes, most of the black peopulation in the Rochester region lives in the city itself.....NO, 85% of blacks do not live in poverty....that's an unbelievably ignorant statement. Try using the truth and actual facts once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area