Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,396 times

Advertisements

Getting really sick of Time Warner and am looking to switch. Are reception issues due to weather a common thing with a satellite dish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,677,955 times
Have had Direct TV for a long time. It rarely goes down; the longest it has been down was an hour. Prefer it to Time Warner, as rates aren't raised every time the wind changes.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:42 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,882,606 times
I just got it the day after Thanksgiving, no problems so far. My bill is fubarbed already though, so I gotta get that taken care of, but as far as the actual service goes, nothing really to note. Few blips of skipping here and there, but I got that with TW too. The only thing I don't like is the guide, TW did a really nice job of lining all the channels up but the Direct guide is quite cumbersome.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 AM

hmmm general opinion is that there are very few service issues. It also looks to be cheaper than TW to have 4 boxes.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,882,606 times
For the "Choice Xtra" package, I'm currently paying 53.74 a month for the 1st 12 months, then I believe that'll go up 25 for the last 12 months of the contract, or something like that. That's for one free HD DVR box and then 3 additional boxes, with whole home DVR service to boot. Then I have standalone Roadrunner for internet which is something like 55 bucks a month. For TW I was paying 142 for both cable and internet, so I'm saving almost 40 a month for the first 12 months then 15-20 after those rebates expire.

If you do decide to go with Direct, do yourself a favor and make sure you activate the rebates before you activate your service, otherwise your first months bill will be less those rebates. It's their own special way of screwing people over. They advertise all these great rates and what not, but in the fine print they tell you they must be done prior to activation, and they also must be done manually, they're not automatic. I only know this because I called to see if I could use the referral credit (which I couldn't because my service was activated earlier that day, which to me is BS too) and was told I had rebates I could take advantage of, which were the same ones that lowered the price to the amount that attracted me to them in the first place. Otherwise I'd be sitting here flaming p*ssed lol.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM

I'll be sure to do that. Thanks. I sold Direct TV years ago when I worked at a local electronics retailer and they did stuff like that so I'm cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area