Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:27 PM

240 posts, read 558,656 times

Advertisements

lolz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 AM

205 posts, read 456,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Well I'm too selfish and uncaring to really put any effort in to the city anyways, so I'll leave it up to everyone else that thinks they can enact change. Good luck to them, hope it works out. If I lived in the city maybe I'd feel different, but since I'm in Greece I really don't.
Yes. Yes. Finally some truth...

Given what you've said - perhaps you could move your negative comments to a forum about Greece then? I'm not intending offense by that statement - just following your logic. Or perhaps just a little break from the forum altogether until you re-gather your strength, find compassion and caring for other citizens again... Again - I'm just going off of what you've said here.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:00 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,883,585 times
There is no forum for Greece??? And I would take a break, but someone around here has to play devils advocate since all the other fanboys, yourself included, don't know how to state the negatives about Rochester along with the overrated positives

Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,819 times
I have to agree with most of the post on here in one way or another. Taxes and finances can be a little out of hand but once you live other places you realize that it isn't that over the top even though they are depressing at times.
I have helped people start and run businesses in over 20 states and always say the same thing. Taxes and rules only give it that much better of a feeling when you are done and can look at something that most people won't, or are to afraid to do. Don't get me wrong I am not saying everyone should go out and start a business. However, I am a believer in doing what is best for you. Rochester isn't just downtown but he towns around that can be more appealing if you don't like where you are. If it's someplace you don't want to be there are always other places that you might like better. Either way, no reason to put down the people who like it.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
There is no forum for Greece??? And I would take a break, but someone around here has to play devils advocate since all the other fanboys, yourself included, don't know how to state the negatives about Rochester along with the overrated positives
I'm always open to constructive debate. I think that's healthy. If you look through my posts - you'll see that I point out plenty of negatives. I believe you need a balanced view. The lack of a plan for Rochester's midtown is horrible. We've squandered our river, waterfalls and lakefront - something most cities would die for and many have turned into a thriving tourist destination. The sprawl / migration of ALL retail out of the city center to cookie-cutter suburban malls is crazy. Yes - plenty of negatives. Ironically, I first came to this forum because I was concerned about the crime here when we moved in.

But I also lived in DC for 15 years, so I can speak with some authority when people make complaints about Rochester with no point of comparison - which happens a ton in this forum. We've made friends with tons of folks who moved here from Boston, NYC and San Francisco. Guess what? They all LOVE Rochester life.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM

...... and we're still chugin'... Looks like us and Glens Falls.

DiNapoli report shows Rochester area leads New York's economic recovery | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area