Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,458,982 times

Advertisements

They need the parking for the new visitors center and a proposed brew pub. From the 2nd floor of the brew pub the view would be nice.

This definitely smacks of "if nobody had made any noise about it, nobody would have cared". Let's see a show of hands from people here who had any clue this run down building existed, say, 3 months ago.

Genesee appears to be doing well, why enable the government and busybody types to try and block their success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 PM

466 posts, read 983,686 times
I fully support Genesee's plans. I would love to see the brew pup there and I would certainly check it out.

Leaving an old, run down building there to sit and waste away is not progress.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:00 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,336,444 times
^^This is the type of thinking that razed half of downtown in the 1960s.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 AM

205 posts, read 456,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I fully support Genesee's plans. I would love to see the brew pup there and I would certainly check it out.

I hear you - but you should look at the facts because I think you'd be surprised.

Genny got two offers to buy the "old building" in 2011. One was for $100,000 and the other was for $275,000. Both offers were from respectable developers who had plans to turn the "old building" into living quarters. Both offers were turned-down.

Now - it is going to cost Genny $600,000 to demolish the building due to the lead paint and asbestos. The developers were going to take this liability on themselves.

I simply don't get it. You'd get your pub either way. But wouldn't you rather keep an historic building and have a shot at residential / further development of an area that desperately needs it? (All with private money folks)

Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,883,585 times
On one hand, I think this new brew pub should be built in the brewery building instead of the smaller one they want to use because lets face it, the brewery is infinitely cooler than the other building, and it's taller so you can design it to provide even better views from a visitor center. It would make a vastly superior establishment over some lame 2 story brick building with no character.

On the other hand, it might cost close to a million to renovate and make safe again, and with our economic climate, it might be really, really, really hard to make that kind of money back within a reasonable period of time. However since it appears someone wanted to take the project on, I too am kind of confused why Genny didn't take the money and run. Unless they were to keep some sort of stake in the project?

So from a consumer/Rochesterian view, it's a no-brainer because it's not our money at stake and we just want to see a piece of history brought back to life. From a business standpoint, it's probably a really tough call when looking at the hard numbers on a spreadsheet and trying to determine if you can actually spin a profit off of such a mammoth project.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:56 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,760,775 times
Interesting piece. One can sense the NAB's angle -- the buildings were 'abandoned' and they will further suggest that the structures are in disrepair, and that repairing/retro-fitting woud be cost prohibitive, so the only fiscally sound thing to do would be to raze them.

Meanwhile in a town situated a few away from where I have a vacation home, the old Fellows Gear Shaper factory building (ca 1896) has been undergoing a repurposing and rehab.

Progress of the Transformation of Fellows Gear Shaper bldg in Springfield VT May 2011 by Edward Huse - YouTube (May 2011)
Fellows Gear Shaper Bridge | Springfield Vermont (Aug 2011)

One tenant anticipating moving in will be a family medical practice.

Given the beautiful view afforded from Cataract St as well as the building's design, why not make it into an inn, apartments, mixed use? I haven't been to Rochester for a very long time, but if I find myself in your direction, I have every intention of checking out the old brewery.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM

355 posts, read 870,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
They need the parking for the new visitors center and a proposed brew pub. From the 2nd floor of the brew pub the view would be nice.

This definitely smacks of "if nobody had made any noise about it, nobody would have cared". Let's see a show of hands from people here who had any clue this run down building existed, say, 3 months ago.

Genesee appears to be doing well, why enable the government and busybody types to try and block their success?
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post

I too agree with the Genesee brewery's plan to put some relevance back into downtown Rochester. It just makes sense that the hometown brewery, and the most well known one from Rochester, gets its own place to showcase its history and beers. Can't wait to visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area