Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,601,134 times

Advertisements

I've lived through over 30 WNY winters....I can handle it...i'll take the Rochester winters, that come coupled with the beautiful summers....over the brutal, muggy summers here in NC any day. And, at least when it snows in Rochester, the whole city doesn't shut down like it does in Raleigh...and everyone just goes about their daily lives with no interuptions (unless of course you do get that freak blizzard that dumps several feet of snow...but those are once every few decade types of occurances)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,679,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
How oooyya! I guess you forgot about next winter?
I hear its going to be a terrible icy cold 4 foot one!
At least Rochester has architectural diversity, history, and culture, whereas most cities in North Carolina are post-WWII suburban tract-housing boomtowns that offer little in the way of vintage charm or character. I'm sure Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, and the rest of the Tarheel State have their upsides, but thriving historic neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and 1800s-era mansions aren't exactly commonplace down there. I'd be willing to endure harsh winter weather in exchange for being able to look at beautiful old homes and shade trees for the other eight months of the year as opposed to mild year-round weather with excessive urban sprawl.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 PM

259 posts, read 939,507 times
Quote:
I've lived through over 30 WNY winters....I can handle it...i'll take the Rochester winters, that come coupled with the beautiful summers....over the brutal, muggy summers here in NC any day. And, at least when it snows in Rochester, the whole city doesn't shut down like it does in Raleigh...and everyone just goes about their daily lives with no interuptions (unless of course you do get that freak blizzard that dumps several feet of snow...but those are once every few decade types of occurances)
I'll buy those facts! But what is going to happen when Kodak and Lomb finally pull out like Singer, Frenches, Sycron group and all the Rest?

Quote:
At least Rochester has architectural diversity, history, and culture, whereas most cities in North Carolina are post-WWII suburban tract-housing boomtowns that offer little in the way of vintage charm or character. I'm sure Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, and the rest of the Tarheel State have their upsides, but thriving historic neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and 1800s-era mansions aren't exactly commonplace down there. I'd be willing to endure harsh winter weather in exchange for being able to look at beautiful old homes and shade trees for the other eight months of the year as opposed to mild year-round weather with excessive urban sprawl.
I accept those facts as well! However the Economy of Upstate New York has not recovered from the 1981-82 Reagan recession! The 1981 economic crash cut across the state from Albany to Buffalo. From Niagra falls to Jamestown and from Binghamton to Jamestown. The economy has not and has no chance of rebounding. The reasons for this permanent recession are too arcane or esoteric for some to comprehend.

1.The saint Lawrence slip!
2.The railroads
3.The steel industry
4.Union Negotiators

Nevertheless the Upstate NY economy could rebound if corporations would stop divesting from America to China and re-invest in America. Why doesn't a corporation invest in hightech transportation techniques! Like electro-magnectic mag-level trains For instance Rochester and Buffalo are not very commuter friendly areas. They are a 7 to 8 hour train / car ride from New york city! High speed transport would help the area rebound its manufacturing output as well as enable people to commute back and forth from work in NYC.

Last edited by Dee62; 07-30-2007 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM

3,523 posts, read 9,437,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Have you been to the Rochester area? If you think Scranton or Syracuse's sprawl is bad, Rochester's sprawl will shock you...you may even cry.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 PM

spare me the doomsday scenario please....Rochester does not depend on Kodak OR B&L like they used to....it's all about smaller, diversified high-tech companies now. That and the ever-expanding University of Rochester....which has now replaced kodak as the region's largest employer.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,679,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Have you been to the Rochester area? If you think Scranton or Syracuse's sprawl is bad, Rochester's sprawl will shock you...you may even cry.
Rochester's sprawl is still nothing in comparison to what I saw via Google Earth over the Lake Norman/Statesville/Mooresville area north of Charlotte or the Raleigh/Durham area in general.

I have cried when looking at pictures of urban sprawl before---that's how passionate I am about this issue that EVERYONE else in America is ignoring as they hypocritically gripe about having to pay $3.20/gallon to fill their Hummers that they drive solo 45 minutes each way from a cul-de-sac in the 'burbs to work downtown simply because they think cities have "cooties." I like to compare myself to that old television commercial of the Native American who is surveying a field of litter and is shedding a tear at society's ignorance for the environment. (Upon further insight, I might just fit in quite well as a liberal hippie activist if I decide to move to Ithaca! LOL!)

Old 07-30-2007, 08:52 PM

Rochester definitely has suburban sprawl there's NO doubt about that at all.....but it PAILS in comparison to the sprawl here in Raleigh-Durham.....even the "city" of Raleigh is comprised mostly of sprawled out far-seperated subdivisions. I find that Rochester's suburbs all have their own identity, while still being party of the "Greater Rochester area"....the only town in the Raleigh area that I've noticed any sense of community in is here in Apex, I won't deny I do like this town a lot, way better than anywhere else I've lived in Wake County....but again, I'm very happy to be moving my family back to Rochester next month

Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 PM

259 posts, read 939,507 times
Quote:
spare me the doomsday scenario please....Rochester does not depend on Kodak OR B&L like they used to....it's all about smaller, diversified high-tech companies now. That and the ever-expanding University of Rochester....which has now replaced kodak as the region's largest employer.
So i've heard! But I do not know anybody from Rochester who is employed by these so-called High-tech firms. How does anybody procure employment from them? These firms do not list up in the Help wanted ads do they? But they manage to find plenty of Jewish people from the Mid-west and Canada! Furthermore the tech companies have financed a Multicultural propaganda campaign directly through the media and the Educational system. However their employment practices are contrary to the crys of hypocracy and Multiculturalism we have to listen to daily from the Rochester area communication networks in the personel offices and from Educators in all of the areas secondary schools and universitites notably U of R! You know It behooves me? Why are these High tech firms located outside of the city south of AVON? It seems to me that these fly by night teche firms are avoiding their own multicultural hype for diversity and/or the city has died and Urban sprawl has taken its toll! We are left with a Rochester frought with poverty and depradation! in substitute for Diversity!

Last edited by Dee62; 07-30-2007 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,091,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I've lived through over 30 WNY winters....I can handle it...i'll take the Rochester winters, that come coupled with the beautiful summers....over the brutal, muggy summers here in NC any day.
The snow wasn't too bad (the immense amount of salt on Rochester streets was bad), the cold wasn't too bad (the cost of heating was bad) -- but the biggest drawback to me for Rochester winters was an almost complete lack of sun from November through sometime in April.

The constant grey/black skies really got to me!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM

I won't argue that at all....the gray skies that can be last without a break for sunshine for sometimes 2 weeks straight can be pretty gloomy....but I think it makes you appreciate it much more when the sun does come out on that rare occasion durring winter (often durring indian summers, when after a stretch of really cold temps, the lake freazes over, so the clouds go away, the sun comes out, and it can warm up to the 60's...in January and February), and when it's sunny most of the time durring summer, interestingly enough, Rochester gets more sunshine durring summer than most other cities in the eastern united states..including FLORIDA (mostly because that's the rainy season in the south and coastal areas).

As for Dee62...its become pretty clear from your anti-semetic statement above that you are a nut and don't really know what you're talking about anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area