Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:44 PM

5,763 posts, read 4,137,837 times

Advertisements

No question, the ferry was poorly executed, however, I believe the idea should be revived. I agree. taxes are high too. but Coumo is throwing money at Buffalo by the BILLIONS, so we should be able to have the state sponsor it. We could have bought 50 Fast Ferries with the "Buffalo Billion"

Here's what I would do different:

2 boats, so one could leave Toronto in the early AM.
Have the Toronto terminal where it would hook directly with Toronto's subway (next stop-Rochester)

I think that Rochester being less expensive is an advantage for Canadians. If you own a Toronto based optics company, for instance, maybe it would be advantageous to build a plant here. I see all kinds of opportunities for collaboration of our universities and industries. there's more to it than just for entertainment. As I recall the original plan called for 33% staying in Rochester, 33% somewhere else in NY, and the remaining 33% going beyond NYS. Even for people just passing through, we still have the opportunity to serve then lunch, fill up their gas tank and maybe a retail purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,328,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
No question, the ferry was poorly executed, however, I believe the idea should be revived. I agree. taxes are high too. but Coumo is throwing money at Buffalo by the BILLIONS, so we should be able to have the state sponsor it. We could have bought 50 Fast Ferries with the "Buffalo Billion"

Here's what I would do different:

2 boats, so one could leave Toronto in the early AM.
Have the Toronto terminal where it would hook directly with Toronto's subway (next stop-Rochester)

I think that Rochester being less expensive is an advantage for Canadians. If you own a Toronto based optics company, for instance, maybe it would be advantageous to build a plant here. I see all kinds of opportunities for collaboration of our universities and industries. there's more to it than just for entertainment. As I recall the original plan called for 33% staying in Rochester, 33% somewhere else in NY, and the remaining 33% going beyond NYS. Even for people just passing through, we still have the opportunity to serve then lunch, fill up their gas tank and maybe a retail purchase.
I said it before back when the Ferry was running and I'll say it again. Everyone wants to take the ferry to Toronto. Nobody wants to take the ferry to Rochester, NY. The influx people thought would happen never did. Numbers were terrible for the NY visitation. Once again, another demonstration of Rochesterians with blinders on. Toronto barely wanted to do it. Even they realized it was a waste of time.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I said it before back when the Ferry was running and I'll say it again. Everyone wants to take the ferry to Toronto. Nobody wants to take the ferry to Rochester, NY. The influx people thought would happen never did. Numbers were terrible for the NY visitation. Once again, another demonstration of Rochesterians with blinders on. Toronto barely wanted to do it. Even they realized it was a waste of time.
That's strange, because I have summer neighbors not just from Toronto, but from all over the country. I talked to many people in the bars of Charlotte and it was a positive experience for them all.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 PM

That's the letter to the D&C they published way back (I think before I graduated high school). I knew it then and was eventually justified. There may be a few here and there, but there are a lot of Toronto families already in Rochester from before the ferry (they came for the once-available jobs).

Funny thing was my aunt (same last name) worked for the mayor's office when that was published!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:17 PM

270 posts, read 469,071 times
Quote:

That's the letter to the D&C they published way back (I think before I graduated high school). I knew it then and was eventually justified. There may be a few here and there, but there are a lot of Toronto families already in Rochester from before the ferry (they came for the once-available jobs).

Funny thing was my aunt (same last name) worked for the mayor's office when that was published!
Thanks for sharing! I saw more people took the ferry to Toronto which definitely wasn't helping Rochester's economy.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:01 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,461,717 times
Quote:
From what I gathered, after it was running the vast majority of Torontonians who took the ferry headed straight for the Thruway and I-81.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 AM

93,843 posts, read 124,582,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
From what I gathered, after it was running the vast majority of Torontonians who took the ferry headed straight for the Thruway and I-81.
Many Canadians that come over tend to come over to shop due to lower prices and more variety. I think if the shore was developed in a way that caters to the interests that Canadians have, it may work. With that said, there is nearby competition with attractions in other areas and there may be an issue with transit from the point of entry to attractions in the Rochester area.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Many Canadians that come over tend to come over to shop due to lower prices and more variety. I think if the shore was developed in a way that caters to the interests that Canadians have, it may work. With that said, there is nearby competition with attractions in other areas and there may be an issue with transit from the point of entry to attractions in the Rochester area.
The long awaited marina project in Charlotte has finally begun. It is suppose to have a few hundred higher end housing units. Hopefully that will attract more retail.

And you're right. The mass transit system misses a lot of the regions attractions. Must have a car.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:24 PM

93,843 posts, read 124,582,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The long awaited marina project in Charlotte has finally begun. It is suppose to have a few hundred higher end housing units. Hopefully that will attract more retail.

And you're right. The mass transit system misses a lot of the regions attractions. Must have a car.
That is unfortunate, but are there any routes that go by site in and around Downtown, to the malls, nightlife spots and parks in the area?

I also wonder if the ferry that currently runs between Plattsburgh and Burlington VT could be an example of how a ferry between Rochester and Toronto or other locations in Ontario could work. Lake Champlain Ferries | New York & Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation

Old 02-14-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I also wonder if the ferry that currently runs between Plattsburgh and Burlington VT could be an example of how a ferry between Rochester and Toronto or other locations in Ontario could work. Lake Champlain Ferries | New York & Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation
A ferry between two dying towns isn't a good example of how a ferry can work between a dying city and bustling Canadian metro could work. Are you really that naïve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area