Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:11 AM

384 posts, read 356,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Unfortunately, as usual, a lot of people have fallen back on the "why would they want to locate in Rochester" syndrome.

As I look at Bezos, who also purchased the Washington Post may actually be looking for a city the size of Rochester where he could really be a big fish in a small pond. He could literally "own" Rochester if he came here and did what he's proposing. Not saying he's an egomaniac, but think about that for a few minutes.
Sounds similar to what Pegula is doing in Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 11:19 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Rochester is actually mentioned in this article: https://medium.com/migration-issues/...n-effda4edc00f
Seems like almost every major city in the US has been mentioned in some article/blog about this. It would be hilarious if they built HQ2 right next door to HQ.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
There's no demand for non stop flights to Rochester. Go look at what happened in Bentonville - home of Wal Mart. It's the smallest airport to see direct flights from all the major cities.
And it didn't happen overnight. WalMart is an old company. They had time to build up Bentonville. It took years - decades - to become what it is now.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Taxes suck? Yes, property taxes suck. Other taxes are similar. Rents are cheap. House prices are a pimple compared to many other areas.

Atlanta and Austin have terrible (I mean terrible traffic). Rochester has no traffic. Also, I don't think Bezos wants to move to a super-hot climate, which really hurts Austin (brutal summers). Atlanta, apparently, is one of the cooler places in the south.
Yes, taxes suck in NY. That's not anything new. It's the highest taxed state in the nation. I own a business and we are hammered by taxes. Property taxes on commercial property are beyond ridiculous. It's extremely expensive to have employees in NY as well due to the insurance mandates by the state. And I'm not talking about health insurance.

Not sure where you've lived where you'd say housing here is a pimple compared to many areas. That's not been my experience. I've lived in other states and housing was far cheaper there. Property taxes were also SIGNIFICANTLY less. I paid less than 1/10th in property/school taxes in SC than I do in NY.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Rochester's big businesses have always been organic. That's the way it is. Doesn't mean it can't happen. But if the airport is a top factor for Bezos, Rochester is out. The other stuff (lack of subway, taxes) will not be the deal killer.
So was Kodak that last company to build their headquarters in Rochester? You never really answered my questions. They were legitimate questions. I was really wondering what the last company was that build their HQ in Rochester and when it was and where that company is today.

It's not a knock on Rochester. Many cities put all of their eggs in one basket and never recovered from losing them. Look at Schenectady. They put all of their eggs in GE and GE is barely nonexistent today. They've been trying to rebuild, but it's in such a hole. It's too bad. Schenectady has some amazing architecture and great neighborhoods.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, as usual, a lot of people have fallen back on the "why would they want to locate in Rochester" syndrome.

As I look at Bezos, who also purchased the Washington Post may actually be looking for a city the size of Rochester where he could really be a big fish in a small pond. He could literally "own" Rochester if he came here and did what he's proposing. Not saying he's an egomaniac, but think about that for a few minutes.
I'd love for any of the metros in Upstate NY to become like Charlotte or Atlanta. I would LOVE for NY to have a boom. I just don't see it for so many reasons.

Taxes here are dreadful! Not just what you pay on your house. Our income taxes are high. Businesses get HAMMERED on property, school, and other taxes. The building my business is in pays over $25,000 just in school taxes. There are 9 storefronts/offices in the building...3 are 1650 sq and the other 6 are 1100 sq or less. $25K just in school taxes. RIDICULOUS.

NY is NOT business friendly. Even taking out the taxes. There are so many laws here that are very restrictive or expensive for businesses. Wages are higher in NY than most other states. That's a factor. The insurance requirements by the state are a pain. Conveniently one insurance policies are only available through the state and they're not cheap.

Until the legislature cuts the crap and really makes NY open for business, NY will continue to struggle. Until a few years ago, we were the 3rd most populated state. We're now 4th. Our population is actually decreasing now even with immigration. Our government needs to pull their heads out of their butts and fix NY not suck up to their special interest groups.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:54 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,827,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Yes, taxes suck in NY. That's not anything new. It's the highest taxed state in the nation. I own a business and we are hammered by taxes. Property taxes on commercial property are beyond ridiculous. It's extremely expensive to have employees in NY as well due to the insurance mandates by the state. And I'm not talking about health insurance.

Not sure where you've lived where you'd say housing here is a pimple compared to many areas. That's not been my experience. I've lived in other states and housing was far cheaper there. Property taxes were also SIGNIFICANTLY less. I paid less than 1/10th in property/school taxes in SC than I do in NY.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember when you continually bashed NY and said SC was better, than you came back from SC and continually bashed the Southern states, now you're back to bashing NY.

You are one confused person. Supposedly, you hated SC so when you had the choice to live where the taxes were so low, you left anyway and came back to NY. So clearly, NY offers something that SC can't offer (at least to you).

Also, when I argued that the South was cheaper than Upstate NY, I heard nothing but BS from you saying I have no idea what I'm talking about and the South was actually expensive. Your credibility on this site, to me at least, is pretty low.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember when you continually bashed NY and said SC was better, than you came back from SC and continually bashed the Southern states, now you're back to bashing NY.

You are one confused person. Supposedly, you hated SC so when you had the choice to live where the taxes were so low, you left anyway and came back to NY. So clearly, NY offers something that SC can't offer (at least to you).

Also, when I argued that the South was cheaper than Upstate NY, I heard nothing but BS from you saying I have no idea what I'm talking about and the South was actually expensive. Your credibility on this site, to me at least, is pretty low.
I'm not bashing. I'm stating facts. Taxes in NY do suck. Look at the stats. It's the highest taxed state in the nation.

Some things in the South do cost more than up here. Milk cost much more than it does locally. Meat did as well. Cereal was much cheaper at Kroger than Wegmans. Then again Kroger had huge sales on cereals frequently and they are brand name items. Wegmans doesn't do that.

Our property taxes in SC were 1/20th of what they are in NY. Find me someone who owns property in NY and doesn't think the taxes are high. Highly doubtful you'll find someone!

What does me moving have to do with Amazon? Nothing! Oh yeah and we relocated back to NY for a job. Living in NY was a requirement for the job my husband took. No one asked you what you personally thought of me. There is more to life than property taxes on a home. I'm speaking of business taxes which have nothing to do with me personally since I didn't create them and had nothing to do with them being implemented in NY or anywhere. Hope you feel better now that you bashed me. Have a good evening. And **** off.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:23 PM

19,230 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Its not a bashing of any one city but ultimately the state has to make their localities attractive to this or any other major business venture. As other posters have already elaborated NY is not considered business friendly among other things. This company is looking for incentives do you really thing NY State is going to offer any significant concessions?

Old 09-20-2017, 05:15 PM

466 posts, read 982,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'm not bashing. I'm stating facts. Taxes in NY do suck. Look at the stats. It's the highest taxed state in the nation.

Some things in the South do cost more than up here. Milk cost much more than it does locally. Meat did as well. Cereal was much cheaper at Kroger than Wegmans. Then again Kroger had huge sales on cereals frequently and they are brand name items. Wegmans doesn't do that.

Our property taxes in SC were 1/20th of what they are in NY. Find me someone who owns property in NY and doesn't think the taxes are high. Highly doubtful you'll find someone!

What does me moving have to do with Amazon? Nothing! Oh yeah and we relocated back to NY for a job. Living in NY was a requirement for the job my husband took. No one asked you what you personally thought of me. There is more to life than property taxes on a home. I'm speaking of business taxes which have nothing to do with me personally since I didn't create them and had nothing to do with them being implemented in NY or anywhere. Hope you feel better now that you bashed me. Have a good evening. And **** off.
You are one angry person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area