Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 02:00 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Construction on Brighton Whole Foods to Continue: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ro...s-to-continue-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 04:19 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
I really don't have a "dog in the hunt", but it just seems to be a solution to a problem that didn't exist.....

Old 02-22-2021, 04:46 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I really don't have a "dog in the hunt", but it just seems to be a solution to a problem that didn't exist.....

???

Old 02-23-2021, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
???
My point being that there are already two grocery stores in the area, at Pittsford plaza (one of them a HUGE store), so why the need for another?

Old 02-23-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
My point being that there are already two grocery stores in the area, at Pittsford plaza (one of them a HUGE store), so why the need for another?

Sure we don't NEED it, but it is their right to provide a different choice. I won't be going there myself. Haven't been to TJ's either, but I believe others needn't be denied because the product already exists in the vicinity. Besides, competition makes things better and cheaper. They create jobs and pay taxes that we all benefit from.

This is America the last I knew. Have you thought you're comment through?

Old 02-24-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Sure we don't NEED it, but it is their right to provide a different choice. I won't be going there myself. Haven't been to TJ's either, but I believe others needn't be denied because the product already exists in the vicinity. Besides, competition makes things better and cheaper. They create jobs and pay taxes that we all benefit from.

This is America the last I knew. Have you thought you're comment through?
I understand that the sign out front still proclaims that this is America, even though some of the current events have me wondering. Nonetheless, my comments regarding the Whole Foods store, center around the location of the business. That portion of Monroe Avenue is heavily travelled, especially with the complexity of the expressway interchange right there, so I'm thinking that the WF store will make it significantly more congested.

As many know, the iconic 'Clover Lanes' bowling center was torn down, in order to build this grocery store, as well as a Starbucks being mentioned, too. FWIW, for a 10-12 year period, beginning in the mid-70s, I bowled in a league at Clover Lanes, and I'm fully aware of the traffic situation that a commercial business creates. While the bowling leagues are/were generally evening activities, they nonetheless created a lot of traffic for the area, and getting in and out of the parking lot was a real "adventure", especially in the middle of the winter. I feel confident that the WF store, at least for a while, will generate even more traffic, spread out across the entire day.

I'm not suggesting that we adopt a communist model of living, where everything is set up by the government. I strongly believe in free enterprise. However, as I drive around Monroe County, I can't help but notice new buildings being built, while other buildings, just a few years old, sit vacant, after their initial tenants came and went. I mentioned that a Starbucks is being mentioned for the WF plaza. To the best of my knowledge, there currently is a Starbucks at 12 corners, and I also think that there's one in the Monroe/Clover complex, in the building that originally was the Ford dealership. That's 2 Starbucks stores within a mile and a half-two miles of each other. Does the area really need a third location? Or, will this 3rd location cause one of the others to close, creating a another vacant storefront?

I was driving through the Village of Webster, a couple of days ago. 'Country Max' flattened 4-5 acres of land, at the corner of Ridge and Hatch, to build a new store. However, just 2 miles down the road, sits a fairly new, empty building, with a fair amount of land around it. 'Rite Aid' built a brand new building at the corner of Ridge and Shoecraft, occupied it for 2 years, at the most, then closed up shop. A little further east, there's a "strip plaza" that housed 'Rochester Carpet and Tile' for several years. The smaller stores are still there, but now the really large carpet store sits empty.

My point is that "free enterprise" frequently creates poor judgement and misuse of resources, that's all.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:41 AM

Most business wants to be where the traffic is. A different location with less traffic will cause some to complain that "everything" is being developed.

There are many reasons for vacant buildings. The previous tenant is still paying, or owes rent is one reason.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:43 PM

117 posts, read 76,433 times
Quote:

1. I understand that the sign out front still proclaims that this is America, even though some of the current events have me wondering. Nonetheless, my comments regarding the Whole Foods store, center around the location of the business. That portion of Monroe Avenue is heavily travelled, especially with the complexity of the expressway interchange right there, so I'm thinking that the WF store will make it significantly more congested.

2. As many know, the iconic 'Clover Lanes' bowling center was torn down, in order to build this grocery store, as well as a Starbucks being mentioned, too. FWIW, for a 10-12 year period, beginning in the mid-70s, I bowled in a league at Clover Lanes, and I'm fully aware of the traffic situation that a commercial business creates. While the bowling leagues are/were generally evening activities, they nonetheless created a lot of traffic for the area, and getting in and out of the parking lot was a real "adventure", especially in the middle of the winter. I feel confident that the WF store, at least for a while, will generate even more traffic, spread out across the entire day.

3. I'm not suggesting that we adopt a communist model of living, where everything is set up by the government. I strongly believe in free enterprise. However, as I drive around Monroe County, I can't help but notice new buildings being built, while other buildings, just a few years old, sit vacant, after their initial tenants came and went. I mentioned that a Starbucks is being mentioned for the WF plaza. To the best of my knowledge, there currently is a Starbucks at 12 corners, and I also think that there's one in the Monroe/Clover complex, in the building that originally was the Ford dealership. That's 2 Starbucks stores within a mile and a half-two miles of each other. Does the area really need a third location? Or, will this 3rd location cause one of the others to close, creating a another vacant storefront?

4. I was driving through the Village of Webster, a couple of days ago. 'Country Max' flattened 4-5 acres of land, at the corner of Ridge and Hatch, to build a new store. However, just 2 miles down the road, sits a fairly new, empty building, with a fair amount of land around it. 'Rite Aid' built a brand new building at the corner of Ridge and Shoecraft, occupied it for 2 years, at the most, then closed up shop. A little further east, there's a "strip plaza" that housed 'Rochester Carpet and Tile' for several years. The smaller stores are still there, but now the really large carpet store sits empty.

5. My point is that "free enterprise" frequently creates poor judgement and misuse of resources, that's all.
1. What sign? The sign at the Rainbow Bridge?
Also, if you're talking about the 590 exit for 31 where 31 is labeled "Monroe Avenue" then yes that is busy and NYS DOT just put in new traffic lights there within the last couple years but probably could've moved 31 onto another path instead, so how is that on "WF" what the NYS Dot does and doesn't do to develop roads. You have state legislators whom you can speak to at anytime for any good reason, this sounds like a good reason for you to do this.
2. I'm too young to know what Clover Lanes is or any of those 70s references are and I'm sure many others in this forum are under 35 as well so your point is moot.
3. You do realize that each individual land in Monroe County (as well as other counties throughout the state) are "zoned" to be in certain districts for different things (schools, libraries, municipality services, etc.) and these "zones" are owned by certain individuals or organizations. Businesses will not willy nilly open up shop where they don't own the property or have made some other agreement if they get the go ahead to operate in a jurisdiction. Obviously you're like me, not a zoning officer or sit on any zoning board or else you would know this.
4. So you went through the Town of Webster and saw a sign for "Country Max" - perhaps they purchased a lot in the town of Webster and have the rights to operate on that land now. Obviously you're not on the Town Board in Webster either, I'm over an hour drive from Webster and even I know that they just got a new Town supervisor a couple years ago without googling this. Perhaps this newer guy is pro-economic development and knows the area well enough that this property was a viable option.
5. If that's your point regarding Monroe County, then start going to Town Board meetings in each of the towns (Webster, Penfield, Perinton, Irondequoit, Brighton, Chili, Gates, Henrietta, Pittsford, Mendon, Rush, etc.) and voice your opinions to their respective town boards.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
1. What sign? The sign at the Rainbow Bridge?
Also, if you're talking about the 590 exit for 31 where 31 is labeled "Monroe Avenue" then yes that is busy and NYS DOT just put in new traffic lights there within the last couple years but probably could've moved 31 onto another path instead, so how is that on "WF" what the NYS Dot does and doesn't do to develop roads. You have state legislators whom you can speak to at anytime for any good reason, this sounds like a good reason for you to do this.
2. I'm too young to know what Clover Lanes is or any of those 70s references are and I'm sure many others in this forum are under 35 as well so your point is moot.
3. You do realize that each individual land in Monroe County (as well as other counties throughout the state) are "zoned" to be in certain districts for different things (schools, libraries, municipality services, etc.) and these "zones" are owned by certain individuals or organizations. Businesses will not willy nilly open up shop where they don't own the property or have made some other agreement if they get the go ahead to operate in a jurisdiction. Obviously you're like me, not a zoning officer or sit on any zoning board or else you would know this.
4. So you went through the Town of Webster and saw a sign for "Country Max" - perhaps they purchased a lot in the town of Webster and have the rights to operate on that land now. Obviously you're not on the Town Board in Webster either, I'm over an hour drive from Webster and even I know that they just got a new Town supervisor a couple years ago without googling this. Perhaps this newer guy is pro-economic development and knows the area well enough that this property was a viable option.
5. If that's your point regarding Monroe County, then start going to Town Board meetings in each of the towns (Webster, Penfield, Perinton, Irondequoit, Brighton, Chili, Gates, Henrietta, Pittsford, Mendon, Rush, etc.) and voice your opinions to their respective town boards.
!. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean a physical sign. The Danellie's are paying for a traffic light and improved intersection. It's time for the state to step up and add another lane to rt.31 in that area.
2. I never was to Clover Lanes, but they moved them to the Radio Social place on Culver Rd.
3-4. In most cases the municipality has no power to stop someone from developing their property

Old 03-01-2021, 05:14 PM

117 posts, read 76,433 times
Quote:
!. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean a physical sign. The Danellie's are paying for a traffic light and improved intersection. It's time for the state to step up and add another lane to rt.31 in that area.
2. I never was to Clover Lanes, but they moved them to the Radio Social place on Culver Rd.
3-4. In most cases the municipality has no power to stop someone from developing their property
1. I don't know who "The Danellie's" are but then again I'm not from Monroe County, I only go there from time to time to go shopping.
2. The only Radio Social that I know of is a bar that is/was open in an area off of Blossom Road referred to as "The Carlson" on radio stations so I'm definitely young.
3-4. The municipality has zoning codes thats why it took quite some time for Chick-fil-A to open, because they wanted to occupy an existing building after getting an agreement with property owners/managers, once they got the go ahead from the Henrietta Town Board they had to get a plan approved to redevelop the land because of the zoning and get it approved by the zoning board. It's a process, the initial complaint makes me think Country Max owns the property and has followed protocols in the Town of Webster and was unable to negotiate buying property from existing owners who own land with vacant buildings. Zoning laws and property management rules come into play in the local level. You can blame the business(es) themselves but often times they're just following through on their commitment of entering the market in order to participate in the local economy.
5. you didn't comment on this one so I'm sure you understand that the towns have their own town boards for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area