Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Those of us that have left only to come back get it. Granted many people leave and don't come back and are happier where they moved to. But there are too many people who live here who just think that everything about Rochester is terrible and that anyplace would be better. They really need some perspective. Is Rochester perfect? Definitely not. But no place is perfect and Rochester really has a lot more to offer than many people realize
Fantastic attitude, and I helped you get a little more yellow on your rep bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Fantastic attitude, and I helped you get a little more yellow on your rep bar.
I agree!

It is mainly the people who have never left Rochester that seem to be unable to appreciate what they really have there. Get out,experience someplace else for a bit, I promise, it isn't always "greener" on the other side
Rochester is a great place to be-appreciate it!

Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,366 times
Y'know, I look at Jayce's events page

JayceLand's Weekly Rochester Events #527 Starting Thursday, February 12, 2009

and it almost seems like there's too much going on.

I mean, what do you need? Someplace better? So go !!

S

PS Although the weather really can get to you if you're sensitive to it.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:01 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Y'know, I look at Jayce's events page

JayceLand's Weekly Rochester Events #527 Starting Thursday, February 12, 2009

and it almost seems like there's too much going on.

I mean, what do you need? Someplace better? So go !!

S

PS Although the weather really can get to you if you're sensitive to it.
Extreme heat & humidity can also get to a person; I have lived in both extremes & prefer the 4 seasons.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 8,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Is Rochester Gloomy and Boring?
If you really love Alabama, maybe Rochester will be gloomy and boring from what ol' granpappy told you about the Yankees as a child.

It is cloudy way more days out of the year than anywhere I experienced in the south. This is probably the reason why everyone is very pastey and casper the freindly ghost like. But we love it, and it makes you appreciate the days you do see the sun.

Here are some other points you might want to think about being a southern loving type:
1. The town is filled with Yankees, and the worst kind, the ones that don't care about the civil war or have much understanding of its history. In fact, our city was pretty much the last stop on the underground railroad and home of Fredrick Douglass, so we were a huge proponent in sparking anti-succession and abolition of slavery (oh and the civil war was not a war for "states rights" like I kept hearing down there).
2. People will talk to you. If you don't want to spark a complete conversation with a random person in a grocery store for no apparent reason what so ever, then this town is not the feel you'd like. Southerners are still into that whole "segregation, but not segregation" feel. I mean up in Rochester, people of all paths in life will just be-friend you for no reason and they do it in a friendly no strings attached way <gasp my heavens>.
3. People are not as interested in Sports as reading books and politics. You don't just find the tail-gating drink fests in this town as you do in the south. Nobody gives a hoot about college sports either... its NFL, but since the Buffalo Bills are the closest team... the feel is dwindling and it shows. People get much more fired up about civil-social issues than they do about what the score was last sunday.
4. The town is clean. This may sound GREAT but you may miss seeing the trash along the highway and car free garbage throwing-aways as you did in the south. I mean, we get fined if we don't recycle good enough for our garbage needs. We also get 5cents back for our "pop" (not Coke) cans... it brings your dad to grumble and moan at the sight of you forgetting and putting the can in the garbage (example "John, dammit, where is your head, you just put that W-PoP can in the garbage... put it in the pop can garbage you twit"). The plus side to all of this is that when your walking . down the street, you don't walk through others waste.
5. We Sin, and we don't care!!! The city is prominently Italian/German/Irish Catholic and it shows. We drink and we don't care, nor think about, how God may be frowning on us. Everyone puts their family's skeletons on the table and nobody judges eachother about it... GASP MY HEAVENS. Its like no big deal that your cousin came home with a random child with an unknown race mix at christmas... oh that is just how cousin Betty rolls. Furthermore, you just don't see Baptist church signs on the road stating "Davinci, should have read Da Bible" or "Pray now, or DEATH!!!" anywhere.

well I hope you get a better understanding of the differences and enjoy.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM

150 posts, read 481,712 times
My girlfriend and I whos from Alabama visit western New York every year and I couldnt disagree with the last post more. We visit the small country towns outside of Rochester and didnt get that feel to western New York at all. Most folks dont act like so called Yankees as he described. Most of the parts we visited were laid back and folks were very down to earth and country. We also drink beer in the south and dont consider it sinning. Any Rural town which makes up most of New York state is very segregated which isnt neccesarily a bad thing. Most rural towns theres almost no crime whatsover. Plus Ive seen many baptist churches in New York State. People in all the grocery stores actually always sparked up random converstations with us and cashiers were very friendly. Plus the Civil War was about states rights and I have many friends from New York who said they would have fought for the Confedercy because of that.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
Default You are so right

I moved 16 years ago from Rochester to Raleigh, and I've never seen a piece of writing (quoted below) that has captured so well the differences between living in the north and the south. Great job!

I've always said that people in Rochester are VERY friendly, and they are.

If Rochester had just a few more days of sun (sadly, impossible), a few more job opportunities, and the real estate taxes of Raleigh (VERY low in comparison to Rochester), I think Rochester would be BOOMING. A lot of people wouldn't even think about moving if the taxes weren't so high.

I miss so much about it and enjoy coming back to visit, especially in the surrounding areas.

It's tiresome to read about so many people (on the NC side of this board) talk about moving to Raleigh. North Carolina's unemployment rate, at 9.7 percent, is now SIXTH highest in the COUNTRY. So it's certainly NOT the place to be anymore.

I miss Rochester. It has a lot going for it. I wish everyone was moving there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveroks View Post
If you really love Alabama, maybe Rochester will be gloomy and boring from what ol' granpappy told you about the Yankees as a child.

It is cloudy way more days out of the year than anywhere I experienced in the south. This is probably the reason why everyone is very pastey and casper the freindly ghost like. But we love it, and it makes you appreciate the days you do see the sun.

Here are some other points you might want to think about being a southern loving type:
1. The town is filled with Yankees, and the worst kind, the ones that don't care about the civil war or have much understanding of its history. In fact, our city was pretty much the last stop on the underground railroad and home of Fredrick Douglass, so we were a huge proponent in sparking anti-succession and abolition of slavery (oh and the civil war was not a war for "states rights" like I kept hearing down there).
2. People will talk to you. If you don't want to spark a complete conversation with a random person in a grocery store for no apparent reason what so ever, then this town is not the feel you'd like. Southerners are still into that whole "segregation, but not segregation" feel. I mean up in Rochester, people of all paths in life will just be-friend you for no reason and they do it in a friendly no strings attached way <gasp my heavens>.
3. People are not as interested in Sports as reading books and politics. You don't just find the tail-gating drink fests in this town as you do in the south. Nobody gives a hoot about college sports either... its NFL, but since the Buffalo Bills are the closest team... the feel is dwindling and it shows. People get much more fired up about civil-social issues than they do about what the score was last sunday.
4. The town is clean. This may sound GREAT but you may miss seeing the trash along the highway and car free garbage throwing-aways as you did in the south. I mean, we get fined if we don't recycle good enough for our garbage needs. We also get 5cents back for our "pop" (not Coke) cans... it brings your dad to grumble and moan at the sight of you forgetting and putting the can in the garbage (example "John, dammit, where is your head, you just put that W-PoP can in the garbage... put it in the pop can garbage you twit"). The plus side to all of this is that when your walking . down the street, you don't walk through others waste.
5. We Sin, and we don't care!!! The city is prominently Italian/German/Irish Catholic and it shows. We drink and we don't care, nor think about, how God may be frowning on us. Everyone puts their family's skeletons on the table and nobody judges eachother about it... GASP MY HEAVENS. Its like no big deal that your cousin came home with a random child with an unknown race mix at christmas... oh that is just how cousin Betty rolls. Furthermore, you just don't see Baptist church signs on the road stating "Davinci, should have read Da Bible" or "Pray now, or DEATH!!!" anywhere.

well I hope you get a better understanding of the differences and enjoy.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 AM

49 posts, read 111,371 times
I have lived in Rochester all my life 41 years and I hate it. the weather sucks you may get 3 months of nice summer weather if your lucky. don't live in the city to many killings,drugs lots of people with BAD attitudes and the kids have no respect for adults. I live in the suburb of Greece which isn't bad nice neighborhoods and schools. but Rochester is boring inless its summer time than you have festivals, carnivals,park ave fest. I would not move here and I am glad I am finally getting out of here!!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 AM

118 posts, read 626,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb38 View Post
I have lived in Rochester all my life 41 years and I hate it. the weather sucks you may get 3 months of nice summer weather if your lucky. don't live in the city to many killings,drugs lots of people with BAD attitudes and the kids have no respect for adults. I live in the suburb of Greece which isn't bad nice neighborhoods and schools. but Rochester is boring inless its summer time than you have festivals, carnivals,park ave fest. I would not move here and I am glad I am finally getting out of here!!

Sounds like you should have left a long time ago....hope you find happiness in your new town....life's to short to have so much negativity. Good Luck

Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb38 View Post
another negative poster making crap up and blowing things out of proportion.
3 months of nice weather is an extreme exaggeration. Its usually warm from may to september. Not to mention the lovely fall. We get it, you don't like winter. Your comment about the city is straight up stupid. The killings and drugs are located in a handful of specific neighborhoods, like with any city. And if you want to talk about drugs, the suburbs usually have more drug use than the city does. The bad attitude comment is completely unfounded. There is no shortage of nice persons in the city. Maybe you bring on bad attitudes because of your crappy attitude.
The comment about the area being boring is also pretty stupid. Outside of the summer there are still festivals, concerts, restaurants, plays, performances, art galleries, sports, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area