Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:03 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,165 times

Advertisements

I am in NJ now, but my boyfriend has a job prospect in Stockton that looks very promising. We had been wanting to move to CA and had looked into Sacto, which looked great. Can anyone tell me how far Stockton and Sacto are from each other (can you commute back and forth, reasonably), and how do housing, etc. compare. We would be looking to rent, probably a townhouse for about 1600 - 1800/mo. Are there towns in between the two, in case I wind up working in Sacto? Also, is Stockton nice or not as nice as Sacto?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 03:23 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Elk Grove is closer to Stockton then Sac. And it's a nice clean area

Stockton itself is a total armpit.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:48 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Sacramento and Stockton are about 50 or so miles separated, and about an hour apart, give or take 20 minutes depending where in those metro areas you live and work.

Elk Grove would put you about 15 miles from downtown Sacramento, and about 30-35 miles from Stockton. Galt is a rapidly developing area between Stockton and Sacramento, about half way between the two.

I agree that Stockton itself leaves a bit to be desired, but a large area just to the north in Stockton is developing very nicely, located at I-5 and W 8 Mile Rd. This may be worth a look if you prefer being near Stockton.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Stockton is not a new or rural town but it is still a booming exurb. Many now commute via 580 or ACE Rail to the Bay Area. It gets really hot there. It's not huge but definitely doesn't have a small town feel. They have some good minor league sports. It's not devoid of culture, despite what Bay snobs may think. Many people are now choosing to live there so it can't be all that bad.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:54 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
I agree with the above that Stockton isn't much. However there are some good neighborhoods. Elk Grove has had a lot of new building going on for the last few years with new subdivisions sprouting up. Also, check out Lodi which also has some good neighborhoods. There are a lot of Hispanic farm laborers living all over this area which lends itself to some crime problems (yeah, I know this isn't PC!!)

Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 PM

Thanks everyone! Lodi does look like a possibility - or perhaps Elk Grove. I guess it will partially depend on where I wind up working, but neither of us is going to want an hour plus commute!

Old 06-19-2007, 06:32 PM

163 posts, read 773,809 times
Agree to Stockton pretty much being an armpit. But it depends on what lifestyle you want.

Stockton is not far at all from Sacramento. Of course a far north/east Sacramento suburb is going to be an hour or so from Stockton BUT you can easily live in downtown/midtown/south area Sacramento/Elk Grove and be within 30-40 min. of Stockton. That's the same type of commute as you'd have from some Sacramento suburbs to downtown.

So if you want a better place to live, more to do, and bigger (nicer) city life than by all means look into those areas of Sacramento. Also by the way, commuting from Sac to Stockton would be a reverse commute thus eliminating the real bad commute into downtown from the South.

Hope that helps

Old 06-23-2007, 03:08 PM

31 posts, read 155,630 times
Actually it's open road between Sacramento and Stockton. But there's always traffic starting in Elk Grove.

Stockton is a medium town by California standards, of about 250,000. It hasn't changed much since the days of the old western TV show, "The Big Valley." It's still got that small-town, "Wild, Wild West" mentality. Rents are dirt-cheap by California standards. But what can you expect - it's right in the heart of the Central Valley. Hot, smoggy, yucky, and redneck-y.

Housing is cheap. If you want to live in the Middle of Nowhere...where there's tons of traffic anyway. From everyone having to commute to the Bay Area where they can get jobs to pay for their cheaper, bigger, nicer houses that they never see the insides of because they spend the same number of hours on the road each way each day as they do on their actual jobs once they get there!!

This is not to say that you will be doing this. This is just to say that you will be sharing the roads with people who do!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:43 PM

78 posts, read 282,871 times
Lodi is a small town atmosphere though it is growing to the south end toward Stockton. It's an easy 20-30 min commute. I live in between Stockton and Sac in a little "redneck" town. The only rednecks are the locals. Most of us are living in the bedroom community. My husband commutes to Lodi to work, 10 miles/ 20 minutes). Traffic has become increasing heavy along hwy 99. I would suggest I5 for travel between Stockton and Sac, if you must. Driving through Elk Grove and South Sac to downtown Sac or beyond is a nightmare.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:01 AM

OK, all of this info is very helpful! I like the idea of being closer to Sact., rather than Stockton. I have been looking at Craig's list for rentals in Elk Grove, and it looks like you can rent a great house for 1400-1600/mo. (a house that would cost at least $2500-3000/mo. in NJ where I live now! ) But it sounds like if I wind up working in Sac., the commute from Elk Grove could be horrible. Hopefully my work hours will be non peak hours, so maybe that would help! I work in the mental health field, so will not be a traditional 9-5 office job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento