Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 04:45 PM

788 posts, read 4,070,241 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info and advice; keep it comin'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 01:47 PM

424 posts, read 2,698,941 times
Default Outside CA

My cousin lives in Colorado Springs and really likes it. He went there to work for one company that only lasted about four years, but found another job he likes better right away. Housing is affordable and a very pretty area. It also doesn't get as cold as other places in Colorado.

If you like the high desert, Reno, NV is nice and there are lots of homes and jobs in the area. I have also heard good things about Tennessee (similar to Kentucky comments).

Before you conclude that CA is too liberal, visit El Dorado County (Orange County too!)

Old 09-14-2006, 06:09 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,884 times
Been doing lots of research on Idaho. Housing is cheap compared to ca. But the jobs don't pay well unless you are a professional. Been looking near Boise, the highest populated area in Idaho.

Izzy

Old 09-16-2006, 10:18 PM

14 posts, read 55,652 times
Default Moving from CA to CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I have a year left on my Master's degree and then I want to move. Who's with me? Actually, it isn't just Sacramento that I want to get a way from, but CA in general. Who can afford to live here anymore? I want affordable housing, a picturesque town, and summers that aren't miserable. Any suggestions? Anyone else in this town looking to leave?
CT is a nice family place to live. But it is not rainbow like CA. And you are out of luck if you want Thai food. Or mountains like Sierra. Weather is milder by coast but prices higher. Schools are generally very good. I visit a relative on coast every summer. I love it in fall and summer. Winters are cold. Jan Feb are worst. in February the kids even get a week off (they call in ski week but everyone who can goes to Florida then) I think people are more polite and friendlier there in the small towns. But maybe you would find that in any small town anywhere. It is more conservative than Ca but still blue state. Property taxes and home heating in winter are much more expensive. The Property taxes are huge and no control like CA with Prop 13. Can have very humid weeks in summer but not oppressive like the Southern States. All in All a very nice place to live. Pay their teachers the highest rate in nation.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:50 PM

788 posts, read 4,070,241 times
Default CT--hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpeachy View Post
CT is a nice family place to live. But it is not rainbow like CA. And you are out of luck if you want Thai food. Or mountains like Sierra. Weather is milder by coast but prices higher. Schools are generally very good. I visit a relative on coast every summer. I love it in fall and summer. Winters are cold. Jan Feb are worst. in February the kids even get a week off (they call in ski week but everyone who can goes to Florida then) I think people are more polite and friendlier there in the small towns. But maybe you would find that in any small town anywhere. It is more conservative than Ca but still blue state. Property taxes and home heating in winter are much more expensive. The Property taxes are huge and no control like CA with Prop 13. Can have very humid weeks in summer but not oppressive like the Southern States. All in All a very nice place to live. Pay their teachers the highest rate in nation.
You are the second person to suggest CT. I really like that it has four seasons, more affordable housing than CA, and I love that it pays its teachers the highest in the nation; I always thought that CA was the highest in that category. Well, I guess I just got to take a trip over there.

I've also been looking into San Antonio, Texas as well as CO (Denver suburbs and Colorado Springs) any comments, suggestions, experience with these cities?

Old 09-24-2006, 09:10 AM

13 posts, read 101,753 times
I too want to leave Sacramento. I'm sick of the pollution and a lot of the people here. The only places I would want to live in California are Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, or San Luis Obispo. But unless you have a lot of money that is virtually impossible right now. However I wouldn't mind leaving the state. I only have a couple years left of high school so I was thinking about going to college in Colorado. Not only can I buy a one bedroom condo in the Denver area for about $50,000 but Denver is a beautiful, clean, city.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,430,715 times
We're moving to Texas =) Just tired of the general attitude here as well as the high prices. Sacramento used to have a home town feel and now with everyone moving up here, it has lost it.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:43 PM

38,940 posts, read 22,943,485 times
Default Former Sacramento Resident

I lived in Sacramento for almost a year back in the early 90s. I'm originally from the Long Beach area in Southern CA and ended up moving back.

The first reason was how gruesomely HOT it gets in the summer. I know it's a dry heat, but still too hot for my liking.

The second reason was how high the crime rate was when I lived there. I was horrified to learn I lived down the street from Eric Leonard, AKA the "Thrill Killer." Until he was arrested, I didn't feel very safe going out at night.

Finally, I didn't have any family in the area, and felt it was hard to get to know people up there.

My last visit was back in November 1995 to see some friends of mine who used to live here in Southern CA but now live in Rocklin (Sacramento suburb). I concluded that Sacramento is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there again!

Old 10-02-2006, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,916 times
Default Road Rage

I took a job in Sac four years ago, and now live in Roseville. I swear that drivers are worse by the day. Since I've been here, I've had drivers, usually on the 80 want to fight. It's weird. Last time, just last week, was a guy near the theaters in Roseville. Tailgating, pulling up to my side, then flipping me off, and then a hand in a fist. I've since found out that that's a "let's fight" signal. Once he put his SUV in park, I told my girlfriend to call 911. He thought better of the situation after he saw our phone. Nuts. Nobody lets you in. I truly hate it.

I've lived in San Jose and San Diego most of my life, and have never seen drivers on the road like Sacramento. Driving is just never fun any more. My girlfriend's son just got his license, and I just don't know how he's going to handle these situations when they happen to him.

Anyone else have this happen to them??

Old 10-04-2006, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 46,521 times
I moved to the foothills after about six months in sac area.I love it up here..As far as Idaho my wife and I absolutely loved Boise We would have moved there in a second.The people were very nice,and we loved the big park in the city,but the pay and the benefits just were not good enough.Spokane/Coeur d alane is really nice but very cold and snowy in the winters.The prices have really gone up in the last two years so we plan on buying a parcel of land in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento