Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 AM

6 posts, read 36,814 times

Advertisements

citygirl72 and CADRMNDANES,

I have had family and friends live and raised kids in North Highlands for over 27 years and they never had any SERIOUS drug,gang and crime problem. Yes,North Highlands is boring but the area is in the middle(not good or bad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 07:58 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I find these ghetto discussions to be ridiculous. In the Atlanta, Georgia forum you state you just left Sacramento, so I guess you already have observations anyway.

Someone on the Ohio forum keeps going back to this same issue city by city, and the comments and rebuttals should be beneath us. It turns into a big accusation and defensive discussion, all sounding childish.

All cities of any size have some less desirable areas with high crime rates. All cities face problems with trying to minimize poverty and crime, especially things of a physical or property nature. Anyone who doesn't understand this probably shouldn't be posting comments or observations on adult forums.
I'll restate what I said earlier, these "ghetto" discussions are pointless and counterproductive. Posters inadvertently demean other folks living in areas they may not find desirable. The original poster acted as though they didn't know Sacramento, while in another forum mentioned they just moved from here. Also, they have not participated in the discussion at all since the original posting.

Rather than demean each other in a pointless debate, I vote we let the issue die an appropriate death.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:58 PM

58 posts, read 192,458 times
I live here... I would say it is even quet. Probably depends on where u live. Downtown is silent, Midtown is nice (more or less). Im not in love with Sacramento. I think it lacks soul, but it is definately not ghetto

Old 08-24-2007, 07:14 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,474 times
i grew up in sacramento. left in 1982. went back there 2 months ago and was totally sickend by what i saw, but then again it is a matter of where one is coming from.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 14,787 times
I was born in Los Angeles and raised in Long Beach and Orange county. I lived down in So Cal for 30 years. I have lots of great memories growing up down there in the 1960s,70s,and 80s.I would not live there now. Hell, I could'nt afford it even if I wanted to.I moved to Citrus Heights in 1989 after visiting the Sac area in 1988. I came in the summer when it was warm and dry. In Sacramento, the things that made me move here was the fact that it was close to so many of California's greatest treasures. It had rivers and lakes, the Gold-Country foothills and the Sierra, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Napa Valley, San Francisco,Santa Cruz,Monterey all within a 1 to 3 hour drive.Yes, Sacramento does have alot of bad areas.Alot of that has to do with the fact that most areas of Sacramento county are unincorporated.In Southern California ,almost every town is incorporated. They each have have there own local idenity, pride, history,city boundaries, city hall, police dept,and Local Ordinances that are Strictly Enforced! Thank God Citrus Heights,Elk Grove and Rancho Cordova finally woke up. Practically every city has its nice areas and its version of skid row. This is something that is not just a local phenomenon.In Long Beach you could be on a beautiful street a few blocks from the ocean and then 2 blocks away you are in a ghetto. This whole valley from Bakersfield to Redding has somewhat been the backwater of California. This is the last chance for many in the Golden State. if you cant make it here, you cant afford to live in California.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseJeff View Post
Remember in baseball how you could swing two bats for a few minutes, then when you went up to the plate your one bat felt really light?

Same concept...go rent an apartment for three months in Oakland. Sac will then look like a rose garden
The entire city of Oakland is not bad, and there are in fact desirable neighborhoods, but yeah, it does make Sacramento look good. Then again, it all depends on what 'world' you live in.

As for Sacto-South Sacramento can be bad, Rio Linda, North Highlands, Del Paso Heights, Oak Park are what I can think of off the top of my head. Those are the areas that I would not want to live in, but you got to keep in mind that Sacramento is a huge city (land mass wise) and I think that you'll find a bad block in any area, except maybe Gold River.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:45 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times
For a mid sized city, Sacramento really seems to have a disproportionately high amount of bad neighborhoods in terms of crime and overall urban decay.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 26,850 times
Default Sacramento

West & East Sacramento Are Pretty Good Areas To Live Compared To North And South Sacramento. Im Going To Name The Worst Areas In All Of Sacramento. (north Sacramento) - Del Paso Heights, Strawberry Manors, The Flats, Parts Of Natomas And North Highlands. (south Sacramento) - Meadowview, Valley Hi, G Parkway. (midtown) - Oak Park (east Sacramento) Lincoln Village West Sacramento Isn't Really Bad At All. So Take It From Me A Person That Has Lived In Sacramento All My Life. Sacramento Only Has Two Real Ghetto's Which Is Del Paso Heights In North Sacramento And Oak Park In Midtown Sacramento. Take A Drive Through Del Paso Heights And Oak Park And You Will See What I Mean.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:28 PM

100 posts, read 564,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
if you are evaluating the city as a whole, you would find that the entire region has a subtle to moderate coating of undesirable elements that you would find in the ghetto. People here, in general, are poor to lower middle class, rather unsophisticated and conduct themselves in public as such. From every race and ethnic background, you see it everywhere. Fod part of the city.
I agree with this as well, having grown up near Sacramento. Everywhere you go you get this kind of feeling, it seems to be the case in every inland city in California, there are definitely nice people but there are a lot of people you see who you can just tell are very much in the "ghetto" state of mind and just act ridiculous in my opinion, and its equally true for all races so this is not meant to be racist at all. There are a lot of areas I don't feel very safe in, it just seems like a lot of people have kind of a bad attitude and you can tell this in the way they dress, oversized shirts and pants, I don't know.. just not my kind of place.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:37 PM

100 posts, read 564,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADRMNDANES View Post
That's what I don't understand with CA. There are so many areas like this all over CA. When we are in the Midwest there are the same class of people and their neighborhoods are clean and they don't look trashy. You won't find old cars up on blocks in the front yard and beer cans thrown all over the front yard. Even the "poor" farms are not filled with old cars, trucks, tires and trash. They are spotless.
I've thought about this before, it seems you see the best and worst in California it really is a place of extremes, there are huge substance abuse problems in this state, a lot of people don't have family ties here like I am guessing they would in other areas of the country where families have been there for generations. Its simplay a fact that a lot of people here are from other states because if you look at the population growth in the last 20 years the state has grown at a very fast pace so it seems to lead to a lot of burned out people who have just kind of given up on living a respectable life, I see the same thing when I go to Nevada. This isn't a racial thing or something to blame on illegal immigrants either because it really cuts across all racial lines, its kind of sad in my opnion but its why I would choose to live in a small apartment in a city where I feel comfortable if thats all I could afford as living in an area where I feel comfortable is what matters the most to me and there are certainly a lot of nice areas in California as well as the bad ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento