Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 PM

30 posts, read 57,393 times

Advertisements

Would you consider Carmichael the CENTER Of Sac and the other surrounding area's ?

What is Carmichael like? PS.. I don't need school info. I would be interested in renting or buying a Condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
No--it's a suburban neighborhood, not even an incorporated city. Sacramento's urban core is downtown up against the Sacramento River and spreads to the northeast for the most part. Not sure what you'd find there condo-wise, other than low-rise rental apartment complexes.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
When I first moved to Sacramento, I considered Carmichael to be a central location in the region. I wasn't really looking at it from an urban perspective. I was looking at driving distance to all the others suburbs in the region. It was also my target neighborhood to buy in. Many years ago, it had a reputation for being a wealthy suburb....at least when we used to visit family as children. Not so much anymore. There still are some really fantastic neighborhoods from blue collar up to wealthy, and some neighborhoods to avoid.

There's a couple of people on the forum who have lived there for years, and can give you an accurate description.
Happy condo hunting!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
I love Carmichael, and have lived there for years. I do consider it to be the "center" so to speak-- easy commute to downtown Sacramento, and an easy drive to Arden area, Roseville, Citrus Heights, etc.

I do have to say that the recession has hit Carmichael hard, and there seems to be empty storefronts everywhere you look, but hopefully things will improve.

There's a wonderful large condo complex on El Camino, between Walnut and Mission. Older, very nice looking. There's another at El Camino and Walnut that was just built before the housing crash and they still have vacant units. They were horribly overpriced to begin with, but if the price has come down enough, they would be great. The area between Walnut and Fair Oaks on any of the cross streets--El Camino, Marconi, all the way down to Winding Way is very nice.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I love Carmichael, and have lived there for years. I do consider it to be the "center" so to speak-- easy commute to downtown Sacramento, and an easy drive to Arden area, Roseville, Citrus Heights, etc.

I do have to say that the recession has hit Carmichael hard, and there seems to be empty storefronts everywhere you look, but hopefully things will improve.

There's a wonderful large condo complex on El Camino, between Walnut and Mission. Older, very nice looking. There's another at El Camino and Walnut that was just built before the housing crash and they still have vacant units. They were horribly overpriced to begin with, but if the price has come down enough, they would be great. The area between Walnut and Fair Oaks on any of the cross streets--El Camino, Marconi, all the way down to Winding Way is very nice.

thank you for this. How about Arden and or Racho Cardova?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Arden-Arcade is kind of like Carmichael but more commercial, with flatter terrain. Rancho Cordova is an incorporated city that was originally a suburb that existed to provide housing for workers at Mather Air Force Base (since closed) and Aerojet. It had kind of a rough reputation. What sort of neighborhood are you looking for?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 PM

Very interesting. Ive been to Arden and RC my last visit but it was quick. Spent some quality time at Cheesecake factory in Arden. Stayed at a hotel in RC.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINTZZ View Post
thank you for this. How about Arden and or Racho Cardova?
Depends on where. There's a part of Rancho that is nice -- around and past the CVS into the neighborhoods. That's a nice area, but it's also away from the other parts of Rancho which aren't too great. When an AF base closes, the local area tends to go bad, N. Highlands being one of them.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,246,983 times
Ive been in Carmichael for 15 years. I like it, but as another poster said, the great depression has affected the area.
I'm seeing more rough-looking people, more renters vs homeowners etc.
I think the area is sliding slowly, if I were a young family man I'd be more inclined to think about living in Folsom which seems way more prosperous.
But its still OK and close to everything...it just depends on your priorities.
Best of luck!

Old 05-05-2012, 04:32 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Ive been in Carmichael for 15 years. I like it, but as another poster said, the great depression has affected the area.
I'm seeing more rough-looking people, more renters vs homeowners etc.
I think the area is sliding slowly, if I were a young family man I'd be more inclined to think about living in Folsom which seems way more prosperous.
But its still OK and close to everything...it just depends on your priorities.
Best of luck!
The renter vs owner thing is occurring all over, not just Carmichael.

Blame the housing market and the low interest rates that are motivating people to buy property and rent them out because that is the only way to get any sort of investment return right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento