Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 09:01 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
It's too dry for me here compared to the bay. I have adapted to the weather though and sometimes I even enjoy the heat. At other times I just ignore it. But either way under no condition would I consider it ideal. So many other places I've been just on the west coast have more mild, comfortable weather to me. SF/ bay area, San Diego, Seattle and many places inbetween feel much mote confortable than Sac. Some people would characterize a couple of those places as too cold or cloudy though, so it's all a matter of perception. Things like your physical health and allergies also play into what is "great" weather for one person and terrible for another. I guess if you love a dry heat, have arthritis or some other condition which is aided by warmer weather or you are accostomed to an inland climate, Sac weather could be great.
Really too dry? Sacramento gets more rain than San Jose(Bay Area).

I've said over and over again, yes, California Coastal weather is near perfect. But the California Coast is just one of many many places across the nation. Sacramento beats most other places/metros across the nation. This comment is in the very first post of my thread.

Allergies: there are far worst places than Sacramento across the Nation, Sac is below average to average regarding bad allergy days.

Regarding Seattle and the Bay Area: There is no other metro across in the nation that comes as close to Seattle/Portland/Bay Area morning temps(5-6 hours) than Sacramento in the summer except for Denver. Sacramento is often the same, or a few degrees lower or higher than Seattle mornings temps in the summer. No other place in the Central Valley or in SoCal cools to the mid 50's and low 60's as much as Sacramento in the summer.

Furthermore: 10-11 months, some cases 12 months out of the year the weather in Sacramento is near identical to the Bay Area, certainly closer than most other metros across the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
shhh...the weather here is terrible, please don't move here
Yes, Thank You, for posting that map. Sorry, I thought your map would reappear.

8pm, July 9, 2016

Portland 64F
Seattle 66F
Sacramento 70F - The Central Valley is not all the same
Long Beach 72F

Fresno 87F - The Central Valley is not all the same
Salt Lake City 89F
Vegas 98F
Phoenix 103F

Old 07-09-2016, 11:10 PM

10pm, July 9, 2016

Portland 61F
Seattle 62F
Sacramento 63F - Strong Delta Winds - Yes this is in the middle of Summer.
San Jose (Bay Area) 63F
Long Beach 69F

Fresno 79F
Salt Lake City 84F
Vegas 94F
Phoenix 100F - It is still in the triple digits in Phoenix. Sacramento is almost 40 degrees cooler right now.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:32 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
It's too dry for me here compared to the bay. I have adapted to the weather though and sometimes I even enjoy the heat. At other times I just ignore it. But either way under no condition would I consider it ideal. So many other places I've been just on the west coast have more mild, comfortable weather to me. SF/ bay area, San Diego, Seattle and many places inbetween feel much mote confortable than Sac. Some people would characterize a couple of those places as too cold or cloudy though, so it's all a matter of perception. Things like your physical health and allergies also play into what is "great" weather for one person and terrible for another. I guess if you love a dry heat, have arthritis or some other condition which is aided by warmer weather or you are accostomed to an inland climate, Sac weather could be great.
Yes it could. However, if you have lung issues the air quality would not be. Decidedly a downside to the inversion layer. But that issue is shared by most cities everywhere and some are worse.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:41 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Aside from the heat another problem with Sacramento is the 6 months of relentless sun. While other parts f the country that get hot as well also tend to get more cloud cover, rain, and variety to break up the sun and heat during the day. I was just in Austin for four days and the heat index was up over 100, it still didn't feel any worse than Sac to me and I think it was because the sun didn't feel quite as strong. The clouds and haziness seems to temper it or something. Plus it was A LOT greener than Sac with more trees.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:11 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Really too dry? Sacramento gets more rain than San Jose(Bay Area).

Regarding Seattle and the Bay Area: There is no other metro across in the nation that comes as close to Seattle/Portland/Bay Area morning temps(5-6 hours) than Sacramento in the summer except for Denver. Sacramento is often the same, or a few degrees lower or higher than Seattle mornings temps in the summer. No other place in the Central Valley or in SoCal cools to the mid 50's and low 60's as much as Sacramento in the summer.

San Jose gets less rain than Los Angeles only by a fraction of an inch, but still), so just because Sacramento gets a few more inches doesn't not make it dry. And someone pointed out, it's extremely Sunny most of the year much more so than most cities in the country. The number of sunshine hours is staggeringly high, and in July, August, and September, Sacramento is actually the sunniest city on earth. Yes, you are correct about the morning low temperatures in summer, but who cares about those? You can't define climate by average 6 a.m. temperature. We all know it's 20 degrees warmer in Sacramento in July than it is in Seattle, and still 10 degrees warmer in winter. So if people feel it's a bit too hot because it is in the nineties most of the time in the summer, even if it cools off on some evenings, then that's still legitimate. Personally, I think it's fantastic to have hot, dry days, not as according as the desert but still hot, mild evenings and mornings. I don't even live in Sacramento but I love the summer climate there. It just doesn't make sense to keep comparing it to Portland and Seattle though. The vegetation will show you the difference.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:17 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
More people prefer party cloudy skies with humidity with brief warm rain and balmy nights to 6 months without a cloud in sight and huge diurnal ranges. 90/75 and humid beats both 100/65 and 85/57 and dry in my summer weather poll here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...your-most.html

Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was just in Austin for four days and the heat index was up over 100, it still didn't feel any worse than Sac to me and I think it was because the sun didn't feel quite as strong.
Heat Index, July 11, 2016, 8:15PM:

Austin: 93F

Sacramento: 81F

Now all of sudden 100F is ok, lol. Austin's summer weather is absolutely horrible.

I love Sacramento's sun which is pretty darn close to the same amount of sun parts of the East Bay Area get like Walnut Creek, Danville, Livermore.

I rather have a dry heat over the horrible hot sticky humid Austin. Trees, shade, cover can protect you from full sun, it's harder to get away from deep sticky humid heat.

The eastern parts of the East Bay Area are much more like a Sacramento summer than an Austin summer.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:59 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Heat Index, July 11, 2016, 8:15PM:

Austin: 93F

Sacramento: 81F

Now all of sudden 100F is ok, lol. Austin's summer weather is absolutely horrible.

I love Sacramento's sun which is pretty darn close to the same amount of sun parts of the East Bay Area get like Walnut Creek, Danville, Livermore.

I rather have a dry heat over the horrible hot sticky humid Austin. Trees, shade, cover can protect you from full sun, it's harder to get away from deep sticky humid heat.

The eastern parts of the East Bay Area are much more like a Sacramento summer than an Austin summer.
What part of my post did you interpret as "100F is ok"? I simply said it didn't feel any worse than Sac. And the 6 months of relentless sun gets tiring in the inland East Bay as well, and it's even worse in Sac. At least you can get some overcast marine layer some nights and mornings in the Bay Area. I thought the heat was gonna be much worse but it really wasn't imo. I didn't really realize how strong the sun was here because it's been a while since I've been in humid heat like that.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Personally, I think it's fantastic to have hot, dry days, not as according as the desert but still hot, mild evenings and mornings. I don't even live in Sacramento but I love the summer climate there. It just doesn't make sense to keep comparing it to Portland and Seattle though. The vegetation will show you the difference.
I'm glad you agree about Sacramento's weather. It makes perfect sense to compare Sacramento with Portland and Seattle regarding cool mornings. It's a fact, often in the summer, Sac/Portland/Seattle will have very similar low temps for 3 to 6 hours. I'm telling you when it is not in the high 50's to low 60's in Sac in the morning we really miss it. It makes a huge difference to me that it's NOT 70-85F degrees on my morning run like in the Southwest and many sections of the USA. If it reaches the high 90's which it hasn't in the last 10 days, it's really nice knowing every morning its going to be COOL.

The vegetation in Seattle and Portland is greener than the Bay Area and Sacramento because it rains 1/3 to twice as much, not because of the difference in temperature and that is why I compare Sacramento/Seattle/Portland because their morning temps are closer to each other than Sacramento/Phoenix/Vegas/Texas/Florida/huge swaths of the South.

Quote:
San Jose gets less rain than Los Angeles only by a fraction of an inch, but still), so just because Sacramento gets a few more inches doesn't not make it dry.
The average amount of rain per year nationally is around 30 inches. 2/3 of California is dry by that comparison but again, the reason for this thread is to partially dispell the myths and exaggerations about Sacramento especially the exaggerations that come from the minds of Coastal Californians. Sacramento averages more rain than, all of SoCal, Central Cal, and some parts of the Bay Area.

Quote:
And someone pointed out, it's extremely Sunny most of the year much more so than most cities in the country. The number of sunshine hours is staggeringly high, and in July, August, and September, Sacramento is actually the sunniest city on earth.
Yes, Sacramento is the 3rd sunniest major metro in the nation (metros over 2.0 million). I think that is awesome. Denver brags that they get "300 days of sun". Nobody seems to complain about the Phoenix and Vegas sun By the way Denver's claim is bogus as they claim partly cloudy days as sunny days in their 300 day figure.

Quote:
Yes, you are correct about the morning low temperatures in summer, but who cares about those? You can't define climate by average 6 a.m. temperature.
So this comment is directly why I created this thread. "Downplaying Sacramento's weather" You are downplaying an important feature of Sacramento summers, it's cools mornings and nights.

For 6-8 hours the temperature is 55-70 degrees, giving you at least 2-5 hours of cool comfortable temperatures to perform all kinds of outdoor activities.

It matters a lot to me that I can run, garden, exercise, fix the roof, fence almost everyday in the summer in cool temperatures; whereas, in the deserts southwest, San Joaquin Valley it's 15-30 degrees hotter during these hours.

Same with huge swaths of the nation that stay uncomfortably humid hot 24 hours a day in the summer. No real cool down, no reliable part of the day that is down right cool like Sac's average low temp of 58-62F in the morning in the summer.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-12-2016 at 12:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento