Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 AM

660 posts, read 1,081,373 times

Advertisements

You still failed to mention what areas in Elk Grove are ghetto. And visiting the ghetto on occasion before going back to your house in the safe suburbs and living in the ghetto are 2 very different things

The reason I mentioned Folsom is because it's 75% white. It doesn't get much whiter than that in this region, especially for a city of >50,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 AM

290 posts, read 544,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdammit View Post

@webdev,just curious....where are these shabby, unkempt roads? The main parts of EG are very well kept! Except for highway 99, that is.

As I mentioned earlier there are great areas of elk grove and then there are a few parts that are a little run down. Same with Rancho, Folsom, Roseville etc. For Elk Grove there are some areas north near west stockton blvd near 99 that are a little run down. I have friends that live in Elk Grove and I have seen some neighborhoods hit hard buy the housing market, but they are rebounding as new buyers come in. Lawns that were once over grown are now cut and maintained. I think the term ghetto versus using a word like blight instills too much of the race card in these discussions.

By the way, I'm not trying to imply that all of elk grove is ghetto (er run down, full of blight). In fact I think there is far less that is blighted than a few years ago. People tend to blur the lines between the borders of Sacramento county and elk grove (north).

The farther north you go (beyond sheldon/calvine rd) it gets worse but that is heading into Sacramento county (south). Areas like North laguna creek.

Last edited by webdev; 08-05-2013 at 03:24 AM..

Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 AM

762 posts, read 2,030,415 times
EG is close to the ghetto. It is too close to Stockton Blvd, Florin Rd, Fruitridge, etc. And, when you are out at the park in Elk Grove, you might see some kid wearing his dope slanging uniform, which will remind you that your suburb isn't super clean cut. And to all you reverse racists out there, the cat I'm picturing looks like Jesse Pinkman.

That being said, it has a lot more flavor than, say, Rocklin, and a lot less overly judgy type neighbors etc. The homes have been a real steal for quite some time, the ammenities abundant, and the proximity to downtown makes for an easy commute.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
EG is close to the ghetto. It is too close to Stockton Blvd, Florin Rd, Fruitridge, etc. And, when you are out at the park in Elk Grove, you might see some kid wearing his dope slanging uniform, which will remind you that your suburb isn't super clean cut. And to all you reverse racists out there, the cat I'm picturing looks like Jesse Pinkman.

That being said, it has a lot more flavor than, say, Rocklin, and a lot less overly judgy type neighbors etc. The homes have been a real steal for quite some time, the ammenities abundant, and the proximity to downtown makes for an easy commute.
That said, Elk Grove is its own community, with its own police force, that won't tolerate the criminals. I think Elk Grove is to Sacramento as San Leandro is to Oakland. When I lived in the East Bay, it was reassuring--and a bit amusing--to see the San Leandro PD cop cars often waiting on East 14th street right at the "border".

Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 PM

409 posts, read 957,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev View Post
There is a large Indian population in Folsom mostly because of Intel. I've worked with a few of them at various times and they are very nice, family oriented and "well educated". I think some white people just have an insane phobia of non whites. I have to remind myself that it wasn't too long ago that Sacramento was a lot more white than it is today. Folsom can attribute a lot of its wealth and prosperity to all the work done by many of these folks. Not just from India, but other asian countries, europe, south africa etc. I think its kind of neat going out to eat in Folsom and occasionally you run into a large group of folks from all different countries and local. All well educated, different cultures etc.

This is in contrast to some areas refereed to as ghetto which doesn't necessarily mean just minority. It usually refers to areas that have more blight, more poor, more blue collar etc. white and non white. There are pockets of these areas everywhere including Folsom and Roseville. There are just more of those pockets in some areas than others. Elk Grove has some nice neighborhoods but there are more surrounding areas that are older and a little blighted. It does not mean all of elk grove is ghetto.

That's a lot of the reason for that perception. There is also some bad areas closer to Sacramento and it just rubs off that all of elk grove (which is a large area) is ghetto. It's similar to the Rancho Cordova perception that all of Rancho is bursting at the seams with gang members lol. Next time you talk to someone who lives in Gold River (which is essentially in the Rancho Cordova area) say to them "Oh so you live in Rancho Cordova". The annoyed responses are classic. They get really upset if you say they live in Rancho Cordova. It's pretty funny.
Newly moved into Anatolia and at that time didn't know much about areas like Gold River. Just assumed it was a neighborhood of Rancho (same zip as Rancho Cordova). Yes, the body language and response made my eye balls roll.
However, if I were a resident of Gold River I would have also opposed incorporating with Rancho...too many unknowns at the time...how well would the city function in terms of services, would it be in the red as many cities in CA struggle with ongoing deficits, and what would some CD posters say about Gold River, if it became part of Rancho...knee jerk reaction..it's now part of Rancho...it must be bad.

Besides..would have been difficult for some to fit in and let the golf pants slide off the pompous derriere yo...jk

Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post

Newly moved into Anatolia and at that time didn't know much about areas like Gold River. Just assumed it was a neighborhood of Rancho (same zip as Rancho Cordova). Yes, the body language and response made my eye balls roll.
However, if I were a resident of Gold River I would have also opposed incorporating with Rancho...too many unknowns at the time...how well would the city function in terms of services, would it be in the red as many cities in CA struggle with ongoing deficits, and what would some CD posters say about Gold River, if it became part of Rancho...knee jerk reaction..it's now part of Rancho...it must be bad.

Besides..would have been difficult for some to fit in and let the golf pants slide off the pompous derriere yo...jk
Rancho Cordova annexed Gold River? I thought Gold River was still "un-city"?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:27 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Biggest problem is elk grove sharing a school district with the far southern terminus of 'south sac'-ie florin, valley hi, and north laguna.

The more south you go, the better the schools.
Once you get south of elk grove blvd the schools are fairly on par with roseville, fair oaks, etc.

Valley hi/north laguna, and florin have the worst schools, though no where near as bad as the bad schools in sac.

North of elk grove blvd , but south of south sac is physically in the middle and scores in the middle. With schools ranging in test scores comparable to rancho/orangevale schools.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 08-05-2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 03:41 PM

37 posts, read 87,007 times
Isn't EG the place where they bust all those pot houses on the news? You know, the houses where no one lives but are full of pot? I dont know if that makes it ghetto, but sure does make it sound sketchy to me.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,373 times
I don't get why the pot houses make it a bad neighborhood. These were foreclosures that were bought by people to deal off and grow pot inside. The deals were set up by shady real estate agents. People normally didn't live in the houses. They didn't bother anyone. There weren't gang members hanging out at the houses and disturbing the neighborhood. They were just formerly foreclosed houses that continued to look empty.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,415 times
Thieves will steal plants and rowers will protect property with violence. Plus if your neighbor is a grow house, your neighbor is a criminal. It isn't an abandoned house since the plants require mucho maintenance. Your kids might run into some shady characters in the front yard. Unless they are white criminals, of course, because the *only* reason Someone would call eg ghetto is because its not super vanilla. Right. That's got to be a form of racism in and of itself.

Last edited by hydro; 08-05-2013 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento