Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 AM

12 posts, read 17,405 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Sacramento soon and I am looking for a studio apartment close to a light rail train station where I can ride to work. I am expected to wear a suit to work every day and sometimes I have to go to work at 6 am or come home at 12 am, so I need to find a place where it is safe for me to walk between the station and my apartment at those times. I am currently looking at an apartment, and the route from my apartment to the metro train station would be included in the area of U Street/R Street/27th Street/29th Street. Is this a safe area for me to walk? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:18 AM

323 posts, read 1,008,406 times
Yes

Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
Weekind nights might be a question. But most times, quite all right. The early morning 6 am trains are full of commuters. The more interesting people come on much later.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:28 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Night time on the train can get sketchy but nothing more than a few rambunctious teenagers and crazies. The neighborhood is safe however. Also service doesnt run after midnight or even past 11pm, so you might have to look at alternative transportation. Have you considered biking? carpooling after late hours?

Old 09-09-2014, 09:56 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
It's not the best neighborhood (freeway noise and proximity to the Alhambra and Broadway corridors make it a little dicey at night) but it's not so bad. but, as another poster has noted above, if your plan is to take light rail home at midnight, make other plans, because it stops running at 11 PM on weekdays. However, it's not a bad bike ride, in the morning it's close enough that it won't even mess up your suit.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:01 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,650 times
Its fine. Good advice offered above.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:53 AM

41 posts, read 44,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
It's not the best neighborhood (freeway noise and proximity to the Alhambra and Broadway corridors make it a little dicey at night) but it's not so bad. but, as another poster has noted above, if your plan is to take light rail home at midnight, make other plans, because it stops running at 11 PM on weekdays. However, it's not a bad bike ride, in the morning it's close enough that it won't even mess up your suit.
Suit? This is midtown. You mean a flannel with a Hamm's t-shirt underneath, a beanie and tight jeans.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Yes, suit. The OP mentioned that their job requires that they are expected to wear a suit every day, which is pretty standard in the Capitol and many state offices beyond a certain pay grade. He can change into jeans, Chuck Taylors and a "Keep Midtown Janky" T-shirt after he gets home.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:39 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobThomas View Post
Suit? This is midtown. You mean a flannel with a Hamm's t-shirt underneath, a beanie and tight jeans.
Typical Sacto garb Change the tight pants out for Dickies and Ben Davis and you have the "Sacto look" of the past 30 years.

I lived in the area listed in the OP back when it was possibly at its worst. Even back then it was not that bad.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:40 AM

51 posts, read 59,812 times
I do not walk anywhere near Broadway at night in the dark. From about R Street down there are rapes and muggings. I lived in Sacramento 20 years and I always remember media reports of violent crime in that area. It would be safer if you took your bike on light rail to work and rode your bike from the lite rail station to home. Wear pantsuits instead of a skirts and bring a change of shoes if you wear heels to work. I don't consider that area to be ghetto gangbanger land but there is a marked higher rate of rapes when you get below R street.

Do you have your heart set on that light rail station?

I always have pepper spray in my hand when I walk in the dark. I was raped in 1987 by a taxi driver. If I had pepper spray I would have been able to escape.

There us no pedestrian traffic in that neighborhood and you could easily get pulled into a car or the alley by a mugger rapist.

I do not read the police blotter for my hobby but it is definitely not an area I feel comfortable walking in at night.

Midtown used to be super safe but now all sorts of **** happens in this alleged yuppie high rent area. I live at 17th and G and a woman was pulled into the alley and raped two years ago. It was near the CVS store. ****! I walk by that corner 7 days a week. Last year two men were murdered in separate events during St Patrick's Day weekend in my neighborhood.

29th and U is near the coop and in the daytime I feel OK walking there. At night it is deserted. There is a lot of crime in midtown but mostly muggings and purse snatching.

Pepper spray

Self defense class

Amazon sells a pepper spray canister with shrieking alarm and flashing strobe light for about $20 bucks. I bought it three years ago and never had to use it but always felt so much better with it in my hand.

Wear pantsuits and flat shoes to work and bring a bike on the light rail train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento