Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 02:10 PM

17 posts, read 139,433 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to Folsom area next year. We have 3 kids and after some research, I do like the school system. Currently we are in the Bay Area and while i've seen many positives about Folsom, I want to know the negatives of this area. Also need to know if anyone attends the tennis academy in Granite Bay, how far Rocklin is from Folsom and how kid-friendly this whole area is. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 07:44 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,504 times
Got money? Granite Bay is expensive,, the upscale part of Folsom,, negatives,, darned hot,,,

Old 11-13-2006, 01:53 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,493 times
Default Negatives of Folsom

I guess it depends on what you like or are used to. I have to agree, the whole area is darn hot. Only two weather forecasts in the summer, hot and really hot.

Granite Bay is very expensive, but very nice. Folsom and Rocklin are also nice areas. I think the negative would be a lack of jobs right in Folsom except for Intel. Most people commute to other towns to work. There has also been a lot of building in Folsom and it is quite crowded compared to the country town it used to be. There's a state prison in Folsom, but there are rarely problems due to this. If you are driving during non rush hour traffic it would take you about 40 minutes to get from Folsom to Rocklin. The traffic can get heavy on Auburn Folsom Road and Douglas Blvd., so it could take longer depending on the traffic. Rocklin is a nice area to live in too if you want to be closer.

Housing costs are high in Folsom, but lower than the Bay Area. The Folsom school district (Folsom-Cordova) has been trying to break away from Rancho Cordova for years and has been blocked by Rancho Cordova. So, I guess a negative would be to make sure the school is definitely in the city of Folsom. Folsom just built a nice new high school. Actually Folsom is very nice and there aren't too many negatives. I've stretched my brain to think of some.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 PM

17 posts, read 139,433 times
Default Thank you

I really appreciate all the info you've given. Really eases my mind as far as schools and the general idea of life in these areas.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:57 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,586 times
sacramento, folsom, el dorado hills ,roseville, rocklin etc.. all HOT. At least you have the lake and river in Folsom. Kid friendly...so so. If we moved back to Sacramento county we would go back to Folsom but we were not impressed with the kid environment so we moved to North Carolina where it's all about kids and families out here. But again if you are going to live in Sac, folsom roseville grante bay are in my opinion the best but also $$$

Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,595 times
If you live on the 80 side of Folsom, not the newer 50 side of Folsom, you'll have a much shorter commute to Rocklin. Check out American River Canyon. There are beautiful older homes in there as well as a bunch of brand new houses. Lots are in general larger than in the newer tract subdivisions. A quick 5 minutes to Folsom Lake too. About 12 minutes to the shopping on Bidwell in Folsom, 8 minutes to the outlets and 15 minutes to the Galleria.

I agree with the negative concensus...it is HOT! But that is what air conditioning is for...or a pool or even better a neighbor with a pool!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 PM

8 posts, read 108,690 times
Default Not that hot!

Okay I lived in Folsom for about 6 years and the Sacramento area for about 15 years. It's not THAT HOT.
I just moved to Georgia. Now that's hot. I MISS Sacramento weather.
I realize that in Folsom it regularly reaches the triple digits in the summer.
But, it is very dry heat. Compared to other cities that only get up into the low 90s and are more humid.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:17 AM

38,867 posts, read 22,854,503 times
Question Hot, but not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarefootone View Post
Okay I lived in Folsom for about 6 years and the Sacramento area for about 15 years. It's not THAT HOT.
I just moved to Georgia. Now that's hot. I MISS Sacramento weather.
I realize that in Folsom it regularly reaches the triple digits in the summer.
But, it is very dry heat. Compared to other cities that only get up into the low 90s and are more humid.
Sounds just like what people in Phoenix say. I lived in Sacramento in 1990-91 and am originally from coastal Southern California. I ended up moving back down here, in large part because of the hot summer weather up in Sacramento. I guess I DID get to a point where 100 degrees F. didn't bother me too much; however, when it climbed up towards 105+, I made sure I got inside with the A/C cranked up! But, I guess there are some who actually like hot weather. I happen to not be one of them.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:01 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,586 times
I know that most people complainthat the humidity is worse than dry heat. I do not agree. If there is any kind of breeze with humidity it feels cooler. Dry heat with wind feels like a hairdryer on high! They both stink but I will take cloudy humid over sunny dry heat. Sacramento gives off a lot of heat at night too. Especially in places like Rancho Cordova with all of the rocks. I lived most of my life in Sacramento but also Texas, Florida, North Carolina and Ohio. I hate dry heat.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 44,179 times
Thumbs down Hoping to get out of Sacramento!

OK, sometimes we are pleasantly surprised abot the Sacrmento area. There is some decent food and the people are, for the most part, nice. Folsom is a cool little spot. BUT - the truth of our matter is we are in our early thirties and getting married in a few months. My fiance is from the bay area and I am from nyc. Most of all we do not want to raise children here and are hoping to get to the bay rea as soon as possible. You run a real risk of raising kids who own lifted trucks and watch nascar. To each his own, but it is not for us...

Over all Sac is trying but it is not as cool as SF, Portland or Seattle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento