Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,000 times

Advertisements

Oops, sorry, I think I got confused about the original poster what with the other posts. I also meant to add that FO is nice, beware of rattle snakes if you live too close to the river though. Also, my gay friend that used to live here with us never felt like he wasn't welcome in any of the areas around here. He did end up moving back downtown, but for the night scene (he's single), not because of not feeling welcome.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 AM

9 posts, read 39,160 times
Supersonic,

Go ahead and move here---you'll like it. From your brief description, it sounds like you'll fit perfectly in with Roseville. You're a young, educated, hardworking couple looking to settle down and raise a family. That's the same situation as my family.

My opinion of Roseville is that people here have a strong work ethic and desire to have a good quality of life. I've never experienced anyone shoving their political, religious, moral values in my face.

My motto: You can't be friends with everyone and everyone can't be friends with you. But there are always good people out there who CAN be your friends.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:15 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfan View Post
Supersonic,

My motto: You can't be friends with everyone and everyone can't be friends with you. But there are always good people out there who CAN be your friends.

What a quaint philosophy - although somewhat unrealistic in today's world.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:37 AM

375 posts, read 1,726,103 times
I think it's more important to find outstanding areas for your kids. They come first. Good schools, safe neighborhood & activities.

If you don't have children, then you want a home in a good area that will have a good resale value in the future.

I personally couldn't care less about your race, religion & if you are gay. I live in South Placer. I have friends that are gay who live here too. Who cares! I like to be around people who are GOOD human beings.

I'm more judgemental towards religion, because I'm not a follower. It depends on what comes out of their mouths. I prefer they keep it to themselves. I don't like people to preach to me.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 AM

375 posts, read 1,726,103 times
BTW, the areas that I would say to stay out of would be.......

Rio Linda & Elverta

North Highlands

South Sac

Norwood

Old 04-24-2008, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 28,294 times
Default Rocklin, CA in general...discrimination....

all I can say from personal experience is with regards to RACIAL DISCRIMINATION in Rocklin, CA....it is definitely there. I would have never believed it if I hadn't lived it myself. Rocklin is not the Real World...not even close. If you are not white (and just for the record..personally I am a white female so I am not against anyone)...you are going to experience some type of prejudice in Rocklin. Rocklin High School specifically has proven this time and time again. My son and several of his friends have darker skin and are definitely targeted. My son was the to reader in his class since 1st grade and was in the gifted program for years. It is not because he is not as smart as all of the other kids at his school that he is struggling now. I can't wait to be as far away from Rocklin as possible.

I was told before coming here that it was like this but I couldn't possibly believe that 20 minutes outside of Sacramento this still exists. I have definitely been "unhappily enlightened".

Old 04-25-2008, 07:36 AM

261 posts, read 1,351,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappilyenlightened View Post
all I can say from personal experience is with regards to RACIAL DISCRIMINATION in Rocklin, CA....it is definitely there. I would have never believed it if I hadn't lived it myself. Rocklin is not the Real World...not even close. If you are not white (and just for the record..personally I am a white female so I am not against anyone)...you are going to experience some type of prejudice in Rocklin. Rocklin High School specifically has proven this time and time again. My son and several of his friends have darker skin and are definitely targeted. My son was the to reader in his class since 1st grade and was in the gifted program for years. It is not because he is not as smart as all of the other kids at his school that he is struggling now. I can't wait to be as far away from Rocklin as possible.

I was told before coming here that it was like this but I couldn't possibly believe that 20 minutes outside of Sacramento this still exists. I have definitely been "unhappily enlightened".
Do you mean that the teachers have not worked with your son because he has darker skin, or the other students are making him feel unwelcome, and that's making him struggle? I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused with that statement.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 28,294 times
Yes to both but more so the school officials.
The second week of school my son and a couple of his friends that were also briefly on the football team were called "*******s" by some of the Caucasian football players.

I just had to laugh at their ignorance at the time especially since I am blonde hair brown eyes and he also has a full brother who ended up with blonde hair and brown eyes yet they have the same exact parents. They don't know anything about my son or any of his friends, they are completely ignorant...

My son and his group of friends is now mixed with Caucasian kids as well and there haven't really been too many more issues from a peer standpoint.
It is mainly the school administration that are basically putting this group of kids into a category/box. I would love to see the school administration at Rocklin High School take on a high school in Sacramento and deal with those kids for one day. They would see what the real world is like and appreciate ALL of the students at their school.

Thanks for listening.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 AM

18 posts, read 119,096 times
Default Thanks for the Feedback

I've gotten lots of different replies, positive and negative, and all are appreciated. My other half and I have come to a decision and are going in this Saturday to sign papers on a new Shea home in Whitney Ranch--provided escrow closes tomorrow as planned on our current house (knock on wood). It looks like we're getting a smoking deal considering what this development was selling for 2 years ago, and the floorplan is a dream for the type of entertaining and cooking we like to do.

As far as acceptance is concerned, I've decided to say "screw it" and be ready for whatever happens. We'll have good neighbors and not so good neighbors just like anywhere else. I suppose all we can really do is live by the "do unto others" rule and hope it gets reciprocated.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:48 PM

238 posts, read 1,316,353 times
Quote:
As far as acceptance is concerned, I've decided to say "screw it" and be ready for whatever happens.
Kudos to you...and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento