Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 01:18 PM

23 posts, read 48,636 times

Advertisements

I would like to see some discussion about friendliness/dating/flakiness - NorCal vs. SoCal.

As an educated (two degrees), in shape, 2x divorced, on the short side 50something I've not lived in SoCal, but 10 years in Sacramento and I've never seen so much flakiness and vapidity as I've seen trying to date here. I was in a 6 1/2 year relationship shortly after I got here, but she had issues, and ever since, I've never seen such a bleak dating scene in my life. I am looking into moving up to Olympia, WA in search of more "real" people. I've heard the dating scene is even worse in LA for the vapidity. I'm tired of being alone and being treated like crap by the people I date and wasting my time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 01:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the central scrutinizer View Post
I would like to see some discussion about friendliness/dating/flakiness - NorCal vs. SoCal.

As an educated (two degrees), in shape, 2x divorced, on the short side 50something I've not lived in SoCal, but 10 years in Sacramento and I've never seen so much flakiness and vapidity as I've seen trying to date here. I was in a 6 1/2 year relationship shortly after I got here, but she had issues, and ever since, I've never seen such a bleak dating scene in my life. I am looking into moving up to Olympia, WA in search of more "real" people. I've heard the dating scene is even worse in LA for the vapidity. I'm tired of being alone and being treated like crap by the people I date and wasting my time...
Sacramento has the least vapid, least flaky, and least pretentious people in the state From the viewpoint of a hetero male, it's the best place in the state, with L.A. the absolute worst. (For a gay male, L.A. is the best.) I would avoid Olympia, though. Unless you like Berkeley.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:46 PM

I like Berkeley. If this is the least vapid place I'd hate to see what LA is like. Bay Area is bad too. Everyone wants a rich smart super jock that's 6' tall and handsome of course. I'm a good looking guy but my luck has absolutely sucked in 2 years of dating, I've been on some nightmares and met some nightmares, and I've not been picky.

I make good money. I'm active. I'm fun. And no one is interested... its like I'm invisible.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:36 PM

471 posts, read 1,830,120 times
Totally agree that SoCal is the most vapid for dating, especially for black women. As a transplant I have observed that people are just more passive aggressive and flakey than anywhere else I've lived or visit. very surreal...

Old 10-03-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
Totally agree that SoCal is the most vapid for dating, especially for black women. As a transplant I have observed that people are just more passive aggressive and flakey than anywhere else I've lived or visit. very surreal...
This entire state is the poster child for passive aggressive flaky behavior. Some of the worst I've ever seen. People instead of being honest make up HUGE BS excuses. It gets old fast.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:55 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Ok, so I don't date bc I've been with my husband for almost 25 years and my entire adult life, but I'd say flaky people are everywhere these days in general. I'm sure dating apps contribute to that, bc everyone thinks dating partners are easily replaced by a million more waiting in line. I would not want to be in the dating game these days,. But to blame one "region" over another is overkill. Sacramento is different from SF, which is different from LA, which is different from SD. Try different ways of meeting different types of people. Moving is rarely the solution.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:17 AM

12 posts, read 11,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRobbins View Post
I've lived in Northern California all my life and I love it. However I;ve always wondered what life would be like in Southern. I hear northern ca is better in Quility and friendly people. Anyone fron Southern Ca that lives in Northern now, can tell me the difference?
Southern California has better air quality and friendlier people. Southern California's air is blown up into Northern California.
Southern California has more scam artists. Northern California has more integrity about doing business.
You can find rural areas with a smaller town family feel in Northern California vs. Southern California
I've lived in both areas

Old 10-11-2016, 12:25 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMarman View Post
Southern California has better air quality and friendlier people. Southern California's air is blown up into Northern California.
Southern California has more scam artists. Northern California has more integrity about doing business.
You can find rural areas with a smaller town family feel in Northern California vs. Southern California
I've lived in both areas
Completely untrue; SoCal's air quality, particularly Greater LA's, is much worse than anywhere in Northern CA. In fact it's the worst in the nation. Southern California's smog is blown west to east and backs up against the mountains down there.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:04 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Completely untrue; SoCal's air quality, particularly Greater LA's, is much worse than anywhere in Northern CA. In fact it's the worst in the nation. Southern California's smog is blown west to east and backs up against the mountains down there.
Maybe Jan is considering SoCal to be San Diego and NorCal to be LA

Old 10-11-2016, 01:10 PM

12 posts, read 11,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Thank you for this correction.

I must say we will continue to visit Southern California though. My husband is on a CPAP at night and has a much easier time breathing up there than down here. Our little store often runs out of distilled water because so many here are on these breathing machines and use it. Go up about an hour and that isn't the case as much

We stay in Carson, California with family. We sold our home there about a year ago. It is much clearer and we can actually see stars. Our town is the absolute WORST though. A tip off is if your town as an air quality monitoring station. They don't generally place them in the better areas. Or see if the distilled water flies off of the shelves in the local store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento