Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:56 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Drive out Wallace road until it turns from 4 lane to 2 lane. Turn right at the stop light at the bottom of the hill.
Look for the signs that say Salemtowne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Location: Northern and Western Washington State (the rainy part)
44 posts, read 153,258 times
Silverfall, we really enjoy your input and knowledge of the area. Do you have and links for housing? prefer the south end near the hospital, park. Or any hard copies relating to employment and housing. I drove Para Transit for over 25yrs working with the ADA, seniors, physically and mentally disabled. thanks

Old 11-26-2013, 04:23 PM

318 posts, read 628,874 times
I also appreciate your input, Silverfall. Last visit to Salem, I was impressed by some neighborhoods in West Salem. The major negative seemed to be the bridge bottleneck separating it from downtown. Since I'm retired, that's not much of an issue. As a Realtor, what's your advice/comment about West Salem vs the south end as my new retirement location?

Old 11-27-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot_Wa View Post
Silverfall, we really enjoy your input and knowledge of the area. Do you have and links for housing? prefer the south end near the hospital, park. Or any hard copies relating to employment and housing. I drove Para Transit for over 25yrs working with the ADA, seniors, physically and mentally disabled. thanks
For rentals (apartments, houses??) or to buy?

Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
I also appreciate your input, Silverfall. Last visit to Salem, I was impressed by some neighborhoods in West Salem. The major negative seemed to be the bridge bottleneck separating it from downtown. Since I'm retired, that's not much of an issue. As a Realtor, what's your advice/comment about West Salem vs the south end as my new retirement location?
They are both nice parts of town. The bottleneck is Wallace Rd, not really the bridge. The lights are poorly timed and it just backs up over the bridge. You can typically get off on the Rosemont exit with little traffic, so if you are in the Eola area, the bridge really isn't an issue even in rush hour.

You also need to understand that Salem's definition of bad traffic is not the same as say Portland's. If you have to get on Wallace during rush hour, it might take you an additional 10 minutes of time. People generally go the speed limit here so keep that in mind when reading about traffic woes.

What I like better about West than South is the ease to downtown. You can walk or ride a bike over the pedestrian bridge from Wallace Marine Park right into Riverfront Park and downtown Salem. Parking can be a pain downtown, but if you like to walk, the pedestrian bridge is great.

South has better access to Minto Brown park which I personally love. It is a natural park in the wetlands there, so it isn't a manicured park, but they have about 10 miles of trails right now. A pedestrian bridge will be built from Riverfront to Minto Brown and the city of Salem is in a grant process to have Bonneville Power purchase 310 acres from an investor for the rest of Minto Brown Island. It would increase that park by about a third. It's a great park if you love to walk or have pets.

South is a bit easier for errands as Home Depot, craft stores, etc are all on the other side of the bridge. I think as a retiree either would be fine.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Location: Northern and Western Washington State (the rainy part)
44 posts, read 153,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
For rentals (apartments, houses??) or to buy?
a rental for two adults and one 8lb Maltese
thanks

Old 12-07-2013, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,835 times
Red face Dallas, Salem or Jefferson?

We are moving to the area in 6 months. What are the recommendations regarding Jefferson? We are really interested in Dallas because it is a small community, but have all the amenities we are looking for.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 AM

25 posts, read 25,153 times
What's wrong with Salem? Nothing's wrong with Salem, it's just I remember a time when I'd take my date, turn off 99E-Portland Rd onto Lancaster and be at the South Salem Drive-in in a couple of minutes. Salem grew up and I grew old. The two don't go together real well.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhdaniels View Post
We are moving to the area in 6 months. What are the recommendations regarding Jefferson? We are really interested in Dallas because it is a small community, but have all the amenities we are looking for.
I lived just north of Jefferson for 10 years. It is a lovely rural community with an easy commute to either Albany or Salem. Highly recommended.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 PM

306 posts, read 416,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga rice View Post
What's wrong with Salem? Nothing's wrong with Salem, it's just I remember a time when I'd take my date, turn off 99E-Portland Rd onto Lancaster and be at the South Salem Drive-in in a couple of minutes. Salem grew up and I grew old. The two don't go together real well.
Boy that brings back memories, only my date was my mom and siblings I remember playing outside until the movie started and a huge treat for us was something, anything from the snack bar. You know, that was really a fun time then sitting in the car watching a movie on a huge screen with the speaker hanging from the window. How time flies and things change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem