Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 07:26 PM

28 posts, read 29,860 times

Advertisements

ok, so.. my brother in law says they don't like Californians up there lol and to add to that I read here that theres lots of Californians that move there anyway so it still has what people consider a stuck up attitude around.
to add-..I'm a white guy and prefer Asian/Asian American women.

is there any of that population around ?

I'm 50, I don't really want to go there but life does that. I'm going to need to find work too.
but I would hope I dnt have to deal with borderline racism and bias because people still act like stupid cattle.
how much is true or an exaggeration? What should I think I see or expect ?

i'm going to 71st ave a few miles outside more dense city area. Any thoughts on super markets and weekends and nightlife or life in general etc ?

thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 08:09 PM

5,467 posts, read 8,196,025 times
Let's think about this.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke View Post
I'm 50.......
50 years old.

Quote:
........ I'm going to need to find work too.
….......
Unemployed.

Quote:
…......
You might have a hard time finding any women of any race or ethnicity who prefer you.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:12 PM

anyone less childish ?

Old 06-27-2015, 09:37 PM

83 posts, read 181,661 times
You might consider Eugene. They seem to think they have something pretty special down there.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumauslo View Post
You might consider Eugene. They seem to think they have something pretty special down there.
this means what ? I'm focusing on Salem

Old 07-10-2015, 03:42 AM

95 posts, read 129,908 times
Quote:
ok, so.. my brother in law says they don't like Californians up there lol and to add to that I read here that theres lots of Californians that move there anyway so it still has what people consider a stuck up attitude around.

is there any of that population around ?

I'm 50, I don't really want to go there but life does that. I'm going to need to find work too.
but I would hope I dnt have to deal with borderline racism and bias because people still act like stupid cattle.
how much is true or an exaggeration? What should I think I see or expect ?

i'm going to 71st ave a few miles outside more dense city area. Any thoughts on super markets and weekends and nightlife or life in general etc ?

thanks for the input.
Californian transplants think Oregonians have stuck up attitudes? If that is what you mean, then it is truly lol. In my opinion, the issue Oregonians have with Californians is; they bring their pretentious Californian ways with them. Oregon is laid back, green, friendly, and typically rated pretty high for a good quality of life. We respect our land and do our best to respect others. We have a lot of farmers and as some may call them "county folk". Our way of life is much slower than SoCal, or NorCal. So, yes... we might appear to be stuck up, but it is more like unwelcoming. Places like Bend, Oregon has seen a huge boom in the real estate market. Many Californians come and buy up the land, building huge homes, and in doing so.. it raises the property values. GREAT for the person who already owns a home.. not so great for the new family starting out that simply wants to buy a starter home. Oregonians have plenty of reasons to dislike Californians moving in on their territory. Simply stated.. we are different. We dont operate like Californians do. So.. when someone encroaches on your territory bringing their own ways with them.. and frankly they come across rather toxic... they have problems.

When you have a mole/gopher move into your backyard.. ruining your pristine grass... you are not happy. Well.. that is basically how many feel about Californians. But even worse yet... Californians tend to make a lot of jokes about Oregonians, and talk down about us. Yet they all want the cheaper property. Basically it really turns people off. If you move to Oregon with a Californian mentality.. yes.. you probably wont be liked well.

Oregon has diversity... but not nearly as much as you will find in California. So if you have a very specific type you are seeking.. as it certainly sounds you do... you will dont find it so easy to come by. If you are seeking people of a specific race, then I would look for a place which has a large population of that demographic. Comparatively.. you wont find it here in Oregon. Only pockets of greater population.

Basically... my overall impression based on your statement here tells me you were either drunk when you wrote this, or you really just dont have any respect for Oregon.. or Oregonians. That being said I would suspect a frosty reception if you bring that same attitude. Furthermore, jobs are scarce as it is.. so you better hope you have something that gives you a competitive edge. Attitude and age is against you already. I meet people with law degrees or other type education.. who are waiting tables... because they can't find a job.

If you are truly worried about how people will act towards you, or people who "act like stupid cattle".... you probably dont want to be close to farm land... the cattle may take offense.. and the kind farmers love their guns.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Californian transplants think Oregonians have stuck up attitudes?
no, I said Californians who moved there...is what I meant

[quote]

Quote:
When you have a mole/gopher move into your backyard.. ruining your pristine
grass... you are not happy. Well.. that is basically how many feel about
Californians. But even worse yet... Californians tend to make a lot of jokes
about Oregonians, and talk down about us. Yet they all want the cheaper
property. Basically it really turns people off. If you move to Oregon with a
Californian mentality.. yes.. you probably wont be liked well.
more bigotry just because someone moves from another State.
California mentality ? what is that? I don't think i'm better then you. What people fail to understand is when you live in California you cant just be all neighborly..you cant say 'hi y'all' because they think you wiil want something from them. No one is friendly like that in big cities.

Quote:

We dont operate like Californians do. So.. when someone encroaches on your

territory bringing their own ways with them.. and frankly they come across

rather toxic... they have problems.

the entire country is for Americans to live in. The Name of the State is irrelevant. Your quote kind of reads like a Southerner in Civil war. I'm never going to learn to fish and hunt. I'm a city guy. That doesn't make me wrong or lesser then an Oregon guy

Quote:
Basically... my overall impression based on your statement here tells me you
were either drunk when you wrote this, or you really just dont have any respect
for Oregon.. or Oregonians. That being said I would suspect a frosty reception
if you bring that same attitude. Furthermore, jobs are scarce as it is.. so you
better hope you have something that gives you a competitive edge. Attitude and
age is against you already. I meet people with law degrees or other type
education.. who are waiting tables... because they can't find a job

if I've never been there I don't know who is like what.That's why I'm asking. respect for Oregon? you are putting emotion or context behind words that was never even conveyed by me.

Last edited by thinwhiteduke; 07-10-2015 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 02:50 PM

95 posts, read 129,908 times
[quote=thinwhiteduke;40362633]no, I said Californians who moved there...is what I meant

Quote:

more bigotry just because someone moves from another State.
California mentality ? what is that? I don't think i'm better then you. What people fail to understand is when you live in California you cant just be all neighborly..you cant say 'hi y'all' because they think you wiil want something from them. No one is friendly like that in big cities.

the entire country is for Americans to live in. The Name of the State is irrelevant. Your quote kind of reads like a Southerner in Civil war. I'm never going to learn to fish and hunt. I'm a city guy. That doesn't make me wrong or lesser then an Oregon guy

if I've never been there I don't know who is like what.That's why I'm asking. respect for Oregon? you are putting emotion or context behind words that was never even conveyed by me.
If you are looking for neighborly, then yes.. even in the city.. you will find that in Oregon. Having traveled extensively, and spending months at a time in SoCal... I can easily say Oregonians are very much different as a whole. I do understand that larger cities, people sometimes need to be more protective, which comes across as rude. With so many people it is harder to know who is trustworthy. SoCal is no different than my time in NYC. The attitudes were appalling to me... as I am glared at and treated as a suspect for opening a door for someone or being kind. A state, its demographics, tied in with population does effect behavior.. just as you noted. What we notice, is that when people move up here from SoCal or where ever (big city)... they bring that attitude, of lack of trust with them. I am not saying that they dont have justifiable reasons for feeling that way, coming from where they moved from. But that is what can really turn people off up here.

You dont have to hunt or fish, to enjoy Oregon. But.. if you dont appreciate what Oregon has to offer.. then you may enjoy it less. The way I received your message, was a lack of respect.. my perception of your words.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:15 PM

ok

Old 08-01-2015, 10:41 AM

44 posts, read 99,902 times
I'm in a very similar situation. I am moving to Southern Oregon from So. Cali's inland empire.
Presently I'm about 20 miles from Duarte.

I don't think Oregonians dislike Californians specifically, they just resent any group of people who come into "their house" and try to impose a new set of rules and values. It just so happens the bulk of these folks are from California. It's ironic that a lot of folks, not all, just a big lot of them, will come to an area that they are attracted to and ultimately try to mold it into something resembling the place they left. I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset. As others before me have posted, I think that's where the anti-Cali sentiment lies. I think if you consider yourself a guest instead of an entitled occupant in Oregon for the first year or so, learn the local "culture" and act respectfully, you will make a lot of truly good earnest friends in a short while.

I'm 59, and single. Not a big preference in women, race doesn't matter they just have to be pleasant/fun to be around and not mean. So far that has eluded me (California, remember?). If you feel strongly that Asian women are where you "connect" best, racial diversity is documented in a lot of the city info on this site. A bit of mouse clicking will get you a rough idea. But as a whole, Oregon's not going to have a large population of single, age appropriate Asian women for you. I would not be surprised if there are more Asian women in your current area, from Pasadena to Duarte, than in the entire county or perhaps the State of Oregon. I could be way off, but those numbers aren't hard to find online.

As far as work goes, it's going to depend on your skillset and expectations. The wages will be lower and the jobs fewer by comparison, perhaps not enough for any lower cost of living equation.

Best of luck thinwhiteduke from huskywhiteguy! Hope it goes well, keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: