Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 05:39 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

Advertisements

My wife & I are looking to move (hopefully in or around the Salem area around March/April. I know this is a shot in the dark here but can anyone tell us give or take what land might go for? We want 1-2 acres no more. One more thing please, another long shot here but what are the laws for tiny homes? We have checked out CL as far has what people are asking or land so that gives us SOME idea. I know location is everything & that can make a huge difference as well if there is utilities on the land, just trying to get some idea is all.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:28 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Most realtors have websites and you can search mls listings for free on a few of tbose sites. Zillow and similar sites will show you listings, prices, and location. If you look at craigslist plus a few realty sites, you'll know as much about asking prices as anyone else does.

Dont expect the land to be cheap, especially if utilities are at the property line.

I don't think you'll have much problem with the size of your house but you will have to have a licensed and inspected sewage handling system. You will also have to meet building codes, which are pretty stiff concerning insulation and weatherization. For example, you will need to use 6 inch studs in order to fit in enough insulation to meet code.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Most realtors have websites and you can search mls listings for free on a few of tbose sites. Zillow and similar sites will show you listings, prices, and location. If you look at craigslist plus a few realty sites, you'll know as much about asking prices as anyone else does.

Dont expect the land to be cheap, especially if utilities are at the property line.

I don't think you'll have much problem with the size of your house but you will have to have a licensed and inspected sewage handling system. You will also have to meet building codes, which are pretty stiff concerning insulation and weatherization. For example, you will need to use 6 inch studs in order to fit in enough insulation to meet code.
Forgot about zillow.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:37 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
The price depends greatly on the location of the land. It can be $100,000 per acre in a good location, or $50,000 an acre in a not so great location.

If you are financing this purchase a tiny house will be problematic as most lenders have a minimum house size they will allow for loans.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The price depends greatly on the location of the land. It can be $100,000 per acre in a good location, or $50,000 an acre in a not so great location.

If you are financing this purchase a tiny house will be problematic as most lenders have a minimum house size they will allow for loans.

We HOPE to cash out on some land & a tiny home.... we hope.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:53 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
I'm not positive but Steve Pickering mentioned often that land & homes were at a reasonable price in Dallas, Oregon. That isn't very far from Salem. A few of my online friends from www.oregonfishingforum.com said they lived in Dallas, & liked living there.

Best of Luck finding your place...

Old 08-14-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I'm not positive but Steve Pickering mentioned often that land & homes were at a reasonable price in Dallas, Oregon. That isn't very far from Salem. A few of my online friends from www.oregonfishingforum.com said they lived in Dallas, & liked living there.

We like Salem because your still close to Portland & able to get in & out on the weekends. I keep forgetting how close Dallas & Salem, Portland are to each other until I look at the map. Someone mentioned Sweet Home & Molalla as well. Will defiantly have to check into more surrounding town once we get out there.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:22 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post

I like the Dallas area, but reasonable price is relative. 2 acres there might be cheaper than in the heart of Salem, but it will still set you back 100k. The plus is that there might be a parcel of farmable land, if OP is planning on homesteading.

But yes, I agree that Dallas is worth looking at.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:58 AM

101 posts, read 415,847 times
I really like Estately | Homes for Sale, MLS-based Real Estate. They also have a really nice app for iPhone, too. It's very user friendly.

You can search for homes for Salem, Or with land under "options." It's not perfect, however, and some homes with tiny lots will end up in your search results. I avoid this by selecting $100,000 as minimum price. Sometimes you'll get manufactured homes with land.

You'll have to option to search up 10+ miles out, or even the entire map.

I used Estately for a few years before checking out Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US and I prefer to use Estately. There are better options/search preferences on Estately, in my opinion.

Also, sometimes I dream about buying a lot of land and I look at LandAndFarm.com - Land for sale, Farms for sale, Rural Property for sale, although since you prefer 1-2 acres, Estately may be the better site to use. It's fun to dream however!

I looked for land in Oregon and Washington on the landandfarm site for land and there are lots to be purchased. Be sure to select "Property Types," too, or you'll end up seeing everything.

You'll have better viewing options if you create free accounts with Estately and landandfarm.

Happy land hunting!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:22 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
Someone mentioned Sweet Home & Molalla as well.
If you are thinking about Molalla, you'd better hurry up.
That area is becoming very popular, very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem