Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 6,372 times

Advertisements

Hello all. We just purchased a house in Salem, and we will be moving in December or January. So the house will be vacant for about 10-12 weeks. My concern is leaving the house vacant with the risk of water damage from a leak, or people vandalizing the house. The house is located south of Kuebler, in a cul-de-sac, and it has a crawl space. I had the realtor put the water heater in vacation mode, and had the water turned off from the main. Blinds are closed, and ADT will be installing a security system. I will be visiting the house next week. I was hoping if you could assist me with the following questions:

1) Are there risks of turning off the water from the main?
2) Since the water is off, will this burn off the water in the water heater tank?
3) When should the house be winterized?
4) Do you know anyone reputable that I can hire to drive by the house and do a quick check on it?
5) Should I hire a landscaper to maintain the front yard, and if so how often?
6) Is there a risk of fire if I leave the light on all day from a lamp inside the house or the outside lights?

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions to help secure this house until our family moves into the area. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 02:26 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Flip the beaker for the water geater, or turn off the gas line. Turn off water meter, drain the plumbing. If the house were mine, I'd winterize. There is no way to predict freezing weather: blow out the plumbing, flush toilets after water main is off, pour some rv antifreeze into toilet bowl and flush. Put a small amount of rv anti freeze into every sink and tub drain.

You can pay someone to winterize. Absolutely no risk of water leaks if water is turned off and plumbing blown out.

Leave the heat on, set about 47-50 degrees. Dont leave the porch light on, but turn on a light somewhere in the house.

Go to a thrift store and buy the cheapest tv they have. Leave that running. Light from tv changes and makes house look like someone is in there.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:29 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
If you turn off water, be sure to turn off the ice maker.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:37 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
Local caretaker you can hire to check out few times a week perhaps? Some retiree lookin for something to do and a little pocket money

Old 10-18-2017, 09:06 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Flip the beaker for the water geater, or turn off the gas line. Turn off water meter, drain the plumbing. If the house were mine, I'd winterize. There is no way to predict freezing weather: blow out the plumbing, flush toilets after water main is off, pour some rv antifreeze into toilet bowl and flush. Put a small amount of rv anti freeze into every sink and tub drain.

You can pay someone to winterize. Absolutely no risk of water leaks if water is turned off and plumbing blown out.

Leave the heat on, set about 47-50 degrees. Dont leave the porch light on, but turn on a light somewhere in the house.

Go to a thrift store and buy the cheapest tv they have. Leave that running. Light from tv changes and makes house look like someone is in there.
All GREAT advice! I'd rep you if I could, but you are always a wealth of good info and I'm unable to for this post. TY oregonwoodsmoke.

The only thing I can add is maybe pick up a few timers and lamps and set them to imitate life in the house. Wouldn't hurt to install a couple of those motion sensor lights outside or better yet that "Ring" they advertise on TV all the time.

Hopefully another great member here Silverfall will check in soon with more local, top notch advice for you...

Old 10-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. It was very helpful. Probably I’m a little bit too worried, but it doesn’t hurt to be a little bit proactive. Thank you again.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:31 PM

248 posts, read 452,597 times
If it was me I would probably hire someone as a housesitter. Have you met the neighbors? We all try to look out for each other in my little neighborhood in Eugene.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:43 PM

We plan to meet the neighbors in our visit this week. Also, we got in touch with a local property management company that will physically check the property once a week for a fee. Hopefully, all these measures will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem