Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 05:46 AM

112 posts, read 119,971 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I have been thinking of moving to Salem (I love trying out new places) and was wondering what you guys think of this area: https://www.redfin.com/OR/Salem/740-..._campaign=copy

Not specifically the house because I'm not ready to buy yet, but I just wanted general ideas of what is to like about this area and what's not to like. I'm basically looking for affordable, somewhat walkable (I know Salem is much smaller than the big city I'm moving from), pretty laid back and chill as far as social attitudes (I am bi and sometimes date women.) I like some arts - doesn't have to be fancy but a theater or live play here and there is fun.

Am I in the right area of town?

2 more specific neighborhood questions: 1) How loud/frequent is the train (I see tracks around this area)? and 2) Do I need air conditioning to live here? I can stand a few degrees of 90+ without ac, but much more and I'm miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 01:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Silverfall will have more info, but that part of Salem isn't particularly walkable.

You'll need AC. Rentals are tough to find.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:29 PM

15,418 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Silverfall will have more info, but that part of Salem isn't particularly walkable.

You'll need AC. Rentals are tough to find.
Why? It's just a 30 minute walk from Downtown Salem. Lots of stuff is closer than that. It has a Walk Score of 60, vs 42 for the city. It's rated as at least somewhat walkable.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:08 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycledlettuce View Post
Hi everyone!

I have been thinking of moving to Salem (I love trying out new places) and was wondering what you guys think of this area: https://www.redfin.com/OR/Salem/740-..._campaign=copy

Not specifically the house because I'm not ready to buy yet, but I just wanted general ideas of what is to like about this area and what's not to like. I'm basically looking for affordable, somewhat walkable (I know Salem is much smaller than the big city I'm moving from), pretty laid back and chill as far as social attitudes (I am bi and sometimes date women.) I like some arts - doesn't have to be fancy but a theater or live play here and there is fun.

Am I in the right area of town?

2 more specific neighborhood questions: 1) How loud/frequent is the train (I see tracks around this area)? and 2) Do I need air conditioning to live here? I can stand a few degrees of 90+ without ac, but much more and I'm miserable.
location is a spur line for BNSF to Eugene-Hillsboro (?) and runs mostly a local RR hauling lumber/logs. Mostly in ~6 am and ~6 pm. I can't remember if the horn is blown or exempted like on the 12 street, UP mainline. The train horn is very loud.

It is not a area for performing arts other than NorthSalem HS. If you want to see performing arts, see WestSalemHS. The 5 high schools have a pretty good music and theater program, especially WS which put on some very lavish-complicated productions. Willamette U and the Elsinor theater will have good productions. Willamette U will have concerts, has a declining enrollment as does all colleges. Elsinor will have townhalls, lectures, concerts, Wednesday OldTime classical movies. Pentacle Theater in WestSalem will have neighborhood/amateur theater, well attended.

What is walkable? If you want walkable try west salem, 'flats' or just off the flat areas, close to Roth's.

You will need AC. August can be a very warm month with good probability in high 80s-90's. Occasionally, like in 2021, you will experience 100+ temps. Climate Change is here.

disclaimer. Lived in Salem for 60 yrs, but haven't been back in 3 years. If you are carless, then WS is your best bet. If you have a car, you will have infinite options.
good luck.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Why? It's just a 30 minute walk from Downtown Salem. Lots of stuff is closer than that. It has a Walk Score of 60, vs 42 for the city. It's rated as at least somewhat walkable.
Not all 30-minute walks from downtown Salem are the same. It's a sketchy area with lots of traffic and train noise. Not much worth walking to as far as food and shopping options.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:38 AM

Luckily I do have a car. Thank you for this great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
location is a spur line for BNSF to Eugene-Hillsboro (?) and runs mostly a local RR hauling lumber/logs. Mostly in ~6 am and ~6 pm. I can't remember if the horn is blown or exempted like on the 12 street, UP mainline. The train horn is very loud.

It is not a area for performing arts other than NorthSalem HS. If you want to see performing arts, see WestSalemHS. The 5 high schools have a pretty good music and theater program, especially WS which put on some very lavish-complicated productions. Willamette U and the Elsinor theater will have good productions. Willamette U will have concerts, has a declining enrollment as does all colleges. Elsinor will have townhalls, lectures, concerts, Wednesday OldTime classical movies. Pentacle Theater in WestSalem will have neighborhood/amateur theater, well attended.

What is walkable? If you want walkable try west salem, 'flats' or just off the flat areas, close to Roth's.

You will need AC. August can be a very warm month with good probability in high 80s-90's. Occasionally, like in 2021, you will experience 100+ temps. Climate Change is here.

disclaimer. Lived in Salem for 60 yrs, but haven't been back in 3 years. If you are carless, then WS is your best bet. If you have a car, you will have infinite options.
good luck.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:58 AM

I see a lot of people mentioning the crime rate being high in this area (on this site, and others.) To give some background, I lived in Memphis for 10 years, which is one of the most dangerous areas in the country per statistics. Once we even had a counterfeit ring bust in the apartments under me! LOL

Anyone else have similar background to give a comparison?

Old 03-02-2022, 08:33 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Salem is pretty good about having sidewalks everywhere and I don't think it is an exceptionally dangerous town. I haven't seen the neighborhood yet that I wouldn't walk down the sidewalk. So you can walk anywhere, and the answer to your question depends upon what your requirements for "walkable" are. There are business districts scattered around town so most places aren't too far from a few shops or restaurants.

Salem is close enough to both Portland and Eugene to go to concerts and the symphony. There are lots of other activities in Salem to keep you busy. There is a junior college that offers interesting classes.

The hospital in Salem is excellent. The availability of shopping is quite good, both mainstream and artsy little shops.

Salem is close enough to the coast to do a day trip. Salem is close enough to the mountians to do a day trip for hiking or skiing, Salem seem to me to be quite sedate and dignified for a city of it's size. It's very different form Eugene, which is a crunchy granola place, or Portland which is simply out-of-control crazy

The house you are looking at seems cheap to me, so you would have to find out why. Maybe the reason is OK with you, maybe it is something you can't live with.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:34 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Downside of Salem if you have pets. it is the flea capitol of Oregon and if you have pets, you must battle fleas with diligence.

Old 03-02-2022, 02:25 PM

Just curious -- you say you're not ready to buy, so this thread isn't about the house you posted -- why that particular part of town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem