Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,714,200 times

Advertisements

O rly?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:14 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,882,206 times
Well it is true that through the lens of post-modernism that gender roles are seen as mere social constructs (we invented them) and that one person can have what are considered traditional traits of both males and females within them and still be themselves.

Then again some things might be hardwired.

This.

Quote:
Dr. Glenn Wilson (2005) recently performed a study for Hewlett Packard to explore the productivity of multitasking. What he discovered is astonishing. The average worker’s functioning IQ, a temporary qualitative state, drops 10 points when multitasking. That is more than double the four point drop that occurs when someone smokes marijuana.
And particularly this.

Quote:
Dr. Marcel Just, Director of the Center for Cognitive Brain Imaging at Carnegie Mellon University agrees with Meyer. His studies on brain mapping, with participants between the ages of 18 and 32, show that women only score higher when asked to listen to two things at the same time (Just, 2001). In every other cognitive tasks pairing, there are no statistical differences. His conclusion is that men and women are equally productive with multitasking (Mahany, 2005).
GENDER DIFFERENCES IN MULTITASKING

That does explain how most women can carry on more in-depth conversations, discussing multiple things at once. The link also includes the fact that male rats are only able to use single, instead of multiple, cues and that human females have a more developed corpus callossum, which allows communication between both mental hemispheres.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,055,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Everyone posted amicably in the previous off topic thread, were respectful and fun, with the exception of perhaps one person.
Later, RD. It was fun while it lasted.

Too bad you're so against the Facebook.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,022,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I didn't call you out, but always wondered how you inherited it.. that was some serious BS.

Like the same BS that caused me to leave in the first place. I hold nothing against you, though. Nothing but love for the cool peeps.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:29 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,297,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merovee View Post
well it is true that through the lens of post-modernism that gender roles are seen as mere social constructs (we invented them) and that one person can have what are considered traditional traits of both males and females within them and still be themselves.

Then again some things might be hardwired.

This.

And particularly this.

gender differences in multitasking

that does explain how most women can carry on more in-depth conversations, discussing multiple things at once. The link also includes the fact that male rats are only able to use single, instead of multiple, cues and that human females have a more developed corpus callossum, which allows communication between both mental hemispheres.
buzzkillington

Old 12-30-2010, 10:34 AM

lol

Are you saying you have a four point drop as discussed in the article? Sorry, dude, I find the larger themes kinda fascinating.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times
I got it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccyis...eature=related

Old 12-31-2010, 02:37 AM

A song for New Years though it is rather sentimental. Isle Of Hope, Isle Of Tears.

Celtic Women will be performing in a few months at the Majestic Theatre. There will also be a Yanni concert there the month before that.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:10 AM

Merovee: Well it is true that through the lens of post-modernism that gender roles are seen as mere social constructs (we invented them) and that one person can have what are considered traditional traits of both males and females within them and still be themselves.

Lu: I agree.....

M: Then again some things might be hardwired.

L: Agreed.....and Dr. Wilson's discovery is very interesting indeed, but I am not convinced that ALL potheads IQs drop uniformly {of course}. In my teeny, tiny, insignificant, uncertified, mere-and-unrefined, little opinion: ultimately what I am stating is much akin to how much *willpower* to disciplinedly-abstain from gorging oneself one has when a hot pizza {or whatever; bacon cheeseburger, cake, ice cream, alcohol, hot sex, what-have-you} is right in front of him; some just have greater willpower than others and so, as an ex-boss of mine once said: "THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOME PEOPLE WHO WILL ALWAYS WORK HARDER THAN OTHERS."

.....and *focusing* indeed is work, as many know {whether in one's straight mind or otherwise, I daresay}.....

M: That does explain how most women can carry on more in-depth conversations, discussing multiple things at once. The link also includes the fact that male rats are only able to use single, instead of multiple, cues and that human females have a more developed corpus callossum, which allows communication between both mental hemispheres.

L: I suppose evolved major and minor anatomical differences can-and-do certainly have a bearing on so many things; cognition, etc.......

Old 12-31-2010, 03:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmHTv...eature=related

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio