Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: heb or walmart which one is cheaper
heb 84 80.77%
walmart 22 21.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazbigdog View Post
I have shopped at HEB, WalMart, Super Target, Randall's, and Whole Foods. The last one is too darn expensive. Randall's carries items that the others don't and are somewhat cheaper in their items.
Of course, Randall's isn't an option for those of us in the San Antonio area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,262 times
both (and target) have about the same price for similar items. heb is the closest to a "grocery store" that you will get, and the sheer fact that neither sell the exact same items or quality of items may be a deal breaker. simply put, for me, i find more things i want, need and normally buy at heb, and stuggle to do all my grocery shopping in one stop if i go to walmart or target (bunless i'm looking for foot stools and tv stands? forget about it...)

in all honesty, neither of those are that great and it might depend on what store you go to. some heb's are great, others are terrible. other alternatives, as mentioned, are the one or two whole foods and sun harvest you might find peppered in the city, but the selection is more specialized to natural/organics and at time a lot more expensive. but heb, for regular grocery shopping, is my pick if i had to choose between the two.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 AM

500 posts, read 969,044 times
I'll agree that not all HEB's are great. The 2 in my neighborhood have taken a huge dive in the quality of their produce, meat, and general available of items over the last few years. Seems the more I need an item, the greater likelihood they have run out. The produce used to last much more longer once I had it home, and the meat is much higher, and lower quality than in the past. I have been going elsewhere for meat lately.

I vote for more competition. Too bad HEB has eliminated their grocery store competition. Nobody really out there to keep them honest!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,470 times
La Michoacana is the cheapest. It's funny to go from there to a Sun Harvest and see the -same- -exact- -stuff- for $2 more.

HEB's great if you want a bunch of pre-prepared Hill Country Fare products. Good luck finding much else. Also like how they've dropped all the traditional deli food, too. Potato salad? What's what?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
La Michoacana is the cheapest. It's funny to go from there to a Sun Harvest and see the -same- -exact- -stuff- for $2 more.

HEB's great if you want a bunch of pre-prepared Hill Country Fare products. Good luck finding much else. Also like how they've dropped all the traditional deli food, too. Potato salad? What's what?

Where is that? Is that the one on Castroville Rd by the cemetery? I have found that some HEBs on the Westside and Southside also have much cheaper produce. The HEB @ Zarzamora & Military has very inexpensive produce as does sometimes the one @ McMullen & Castroville Rd.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:20 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Where is that? Is that the one on Castroville Rd by the cemetery? .
There is a few locations throughout SA...I like it.
La Michoacana Meat Market - Home : Inicio
The flyer is on the Offers page.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:41 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,518 times
I think most people shop both. HEB has lower prices and better instore coupons. Some stores have good clearance sections. WM has some national brands and items that HEB doesn't carry though. WM also has some great clearance items from time to time. I often like WM steaks and the vacumed sealed ground meat is ok, but I don't like their other meats and wouldn't touch their seafood. WM bakery items also lack flavor, but they look great. The Targets I've shopped at had a few bargins, but overall prices were higher and selection was small.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,858 times
I shop at Target a lot... and their groceries are way higher than either.

If you are just shopping for yourself, I would say HEB is the better choice.

The only time I go to Wal-Mart is if I need a LOT of staple item type groceries or paper goods. Otherwise, I go to HEB.

I am a grocery store junkie, I am single and probably go at least 2x a week.. I would much rather go to HEB than to Wal Mart here.

Also.. Grocery competition fans... be careful what you wish for.... I lived in Virginia Beach.. Within the 5 minute drive from my apartment to work... I passed
A Food Lion
2 Harris Teeters
2 Farm Freshs

none of them were even close to as cheap as HEB is.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 AM

56 posts, read 117,886 times
I lived in VB and more recently before here, Norfolk.
But pretty much everything is cheaper here and with some actual competetion would be moreso.
I usually go to HEB mostly because they have a better overall selection, but was boggled they were closed yesterday and had to go to Walmart or woulda had PB&J for dinner. Never heard of a major business like a supermarket closing on a purely religious holiday (other than friggin Chick-fil-A.. which coincidentally I only ever have a craving for on Sundays) but they sure lost alot of business from those of us outside that demographic, cuz Wallyworld was packed.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:23 AM

584 posts, read 1,192,597 times
I personally shop at both HEB and Walmart. On occasion I buy items from SuperTarget but I do find their items to be priced higher. I have to go to Walmart specifically to get my Lower Fat Sargento Cheese slices because HEB does not carry Sargento cheese at all. I also have to go to SuperTarget or Green Fields (Stone Oak) to purchase Walden's items which are FAT/CALORIE FREE items (Salad Dressing is what I purhcase) because HEB stopped carrying those items also. I used to purchase shirataki noodles from SuperTArget but then they stopped carrying those items so I now get those items at Green Fields also. Of course I also shop at Sam's and Costco also.

Yes I go to lots of places it seems but not all in one week. I stock up on items so on any given Saturday and I only hitting two places for the bulk of the shopping. I hit Green Fields usually on my way home after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio