Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,625,951 times

Advertisements

Appears this has not been posted.... Recently read in the Express News/mysa.com, Walmart is coming to Helotes. The last time I heard this news was in 2005/2006, and back then there was a lot of controversy about this. Walmart was never built. Since then, there are different city officials involved, and it seems like this is actually going to happen. I have mixed feelings about this. The biggest concern is the traffic. Do any of you live in the local area, and what's your take on the subject? This is the link to the local news: Wal-Mart revisited: Helotes hears big-box design plans - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
I'm sorry to see it happen, but honestly, I don't get the whole big deal about Helotes. What the hell am I missing????? It's nowhere near as charming as Boerne EVEN WITH Boerne's Walmart and Home Depot, etc. To me, it's an extension of Bandera Road, and there is already a Wal-mart on Bandera.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:41 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,403,213 times
I kinda feel the same way. But I hate Wal-Marts in places like that anyway. Makes me so dam*ed mad. Any charm it has or would potentially have is gonna be right out the window.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:08 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,923 times
Beorne has a Walmart. I think Hondo has a Walmart. Floresville has a Walmart. Kerville has a Walmart. Even Fredericksburg has a Walmart. What makes Helotes so special that they don't have to have a Walmart. Just because it's a small town just northwest of the San Antonio city limits doesn't make it special. If Government Canyon was south of San Antonio they would have filled it up with trash from the northside suburbs. After Walmart gets settled in, I say we make Govenment Canyon a landfill for the growing population in northwest San Antonio and beyond.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times
Both Boerne and Hondo have Super Walmarts, the latter was one of the last nice "regular sized" Walmarts until a few years ago (Boerne's was like that as well).

Keep in mind that Boerne has a population of 10,471 (2010) and is miles from the nearest Walmart. Kerrvile is twice that large and again, there is no Walmart nearby. Same with Floresville, although its popular is closer to Helotes.

My point is that Helotes has numerous Walmarts within a half hour of it, there's one at Culebra and 1604 as well as farther south on Bandera Road in Leon Valley. Even the one at 1604/281 is well within 30 minutes. Why Walmart feels the need to put one across from O'Connor HS is beyond me! That area is already a traffic nightmare with two schools (O'Connor and Kuentz Elementary) trying to feed out onto Bandera Road in the afternoons.

But more importantly, Walmart has to learn that not everybody wants one of its stores--even a smaller one as is being proposed--built in their backyards!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
Way I look at it, it's up to those living there. If they don't want it, they don't want it. Since I don't live in the area, I'm not going to really say much one way or another. Personally, I doubt I'd want one near me if I had the choice - frankly, it's just a big overpavement and impersonal box with folks that, for the most part, barely get paid.

But, that's just me.....

Old 10-13-2011, 11:00 AM

69 posts, read 95,854 times
I live in Helotes. I have nothing against Wal-Mart. Go there all the time. However, I don't see a need for one here. The one at Culebra is plenty close, as is the one down Bandera Road. The new site is less objectionable than the Scenic Loop site, but it will tie up traffic in that area (unless they rework the roads - perhaps Wal-Mart is willing to pay for that?). By the way, is this going to be where the Cornyvale is held?

Last edited by hschulz3; 10-13-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschulz3 View Post
I live in Helotes. I have nothing against Wal-Mart. Go there all the time. However, I don't see a need for one here. The one at Culebra is plenty close, as is the one down Bandera Road. The new site is less objectionable than the Scenic Loop site, but it will tie up traffic in that area (unless they rework the roads - perhaps Wal-Mart is willing to pay for that?). By the way, is this going to be where the Cornyvale is held?
I doubt that Walmart will be paying for road rework anymore than the companies that buy up land and build subdivisions pay for road upgrades that would not be needed if they had not changed the traffic climate in the area. They should, and Walmart could do it without raising prices too much. They have very deep pockets. Builders on the other hand would probably have a hard time charging the kind of prices that they would have to charge for what they are providing in most of these subdivisions if they had to pay for the traffic control and road upgrades. The city and the builder would much rather stick the taxpayer with those costs.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,708,313 times
It will be interesting to see how things play out with this. Yes, other small (and scenic) towns have Walmarts, but as MMadMax said, there are no other Walmarts for miles. But, if folks don't want a Walmart in their neighborhood, they need to band together and let their voices be heard.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:59 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschulz3 View Post
By the way, is this going to be where the Cornyvale is held?
I doubt it, I believe it will be in the area behind where the bank and Starbucks now sit.

As a matter of fact, on Saturday mornin we were sitting in the drive-thru at Starbucks and I noticed that the house that used to be next door is now gone!

I suspect they are already clearing a path for the store....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio