Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,274,749 times

Advertisements

We lived in NC for 8 months and there was lots of competition as far as number of grocery stores but it sort of seemed like they were competing on who could charge the most. The prices were so much higher then here and the stores looked like the old little HEB's. Harris Teeter was a little nicer but the prices reflected it--$6 for a carton of Breyers ice cream! I shopped mostly at Target which required a drive over to the next town. Sometimes I broke down and shopped the local Walmart but always left wishing I'd made the drive elsewhere. There was a Trader Joe's near my son's preschool--also in another town--and I thought I'd shop alot there but it was so small and again the prices so much higher then what I was used to here. Now that I'm back, I'm happy to have access to my huge HEB on Evans/281. If I'm in a hurry I run into the SuperTarget but it's nice having so much selection at HEB. Guess that's why we hightailed it back--I'm just a Texan at heart and because HEB plays a part in my family history, I really missed it. Guess I'm just one of those people who likes things predictable (not to mention cheap ) and not into new things. I do wish I'd could grocery shop at the base like my mom did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,786,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Based on where they locate in other markets, I'll be surprised if we get more than two Trader Joe's. I'll predict they put a store at The Quarry and a store at The Rim.
I am hoping Castle Hills area (410/Blanco) would get one.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 AM

392 posts, read 749,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
We lived in NC for 8 months and there was lots of competition as far as number of grocery stores but it sort of seemed like they were competing on who could charge the most. The prices were so much higher then here and the stores looked like the old little HEB's. Harris Teeter was a little nicer but the prices reflected it--$6 for a carton of Breyers ice cream! I shopped mostly at Target which required a drive over to the next town. Sometimes I broke down and shopped the local Walmart but always left wishing I'd made the drive elsewhere. There was a Trader Joe's near my son's preschool--also in another town--and I thought I'd shop alot there but it was so small and again the prices so much higher then what I was used to here. Now that I'm back, I'm happy to have access to my huge HEB on Evans/281. If I'm in a hurry I run into the SuperTarget but it's nice having so much selection at HEB. Guess that's why we hightailed it back--I'm just a Texan at heart and because HEB plays a part in my family history, I really missed it. Guess I'm just one of those people who likes things predictable (not to mention cheap ) and not into new things. I do wish I'd could grocery shop at the base like my mom did!
I will agree that the H-E-B at 281 and Evans is the bomb. If Trader Joe's does in fact open here, I'll at least check it out. Currently, I shop at the aforementioned H-E-B most of the time, and then occasionally ride down to Central Market for a few things. I sure wish H-E-B would freakin' stock Texas Tea, 'cause it's the best bottled tea ever, and is made up the road in Austin... I hate having to go all the way to Alamo Heights just for that if I want it.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,560,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Based on where they locate in other markets, I'll be surprised if we get more than two Trader Joe's. I'll predict they put a store at The Quarry and a store at The Rim.
I think you're right, but also think it's pretty dumb to put it where there are already two "trendy" markets within a few miles. But that is where their customer base is most likely to be.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,591,064 times
I'm sure a new grocery store chain coming to town will stir up quite a bit of excitment for a while but I wonder how many people will go out of their way to drive to a TJ's when, in most cases, an HEB will be much closer and convenient. What will Tj's offer that HEB does not? I've never been to a TJ's so I'm just asking.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I'm sure a new grocery store chain coming to town will stir up quite a bit of excitment for a while but I wonder how many people will go out of their way to drive to a TJ's when, in most cases, an HEB will be much closer and convenient. What will Tj's offer that HEB does not? I've never been to a TJ's so I'm just asking.
Trader Joe's

They do a lot of processed/packaged "fancy" stuff (for lack of a better term). They used to be great for imported cheeses, but no different than Central Market from what I've seen lately. They usually have a good wine selection but in the last 2 I went to in CA, the beer selection was lousy.

it's probably a good place for more interesting frozen foods than the standard stuff, cookies, chips, but the kind you are more likely to find at a specialty store.

Their stock does vary depending on the customer base, but in the past year I've been to a number of them in very different parts of CA, and still found them lacking, at least for the stuff I buy. I used to shop there all the time in college as their specialty stuff like cheeses and wine were cheap compared to the local grocery chains (which often didn't carry it), and it was fun to find lots of European products (cookies, crackers etc) that I missed.

So if you'll go out of your way to get that kind of stuff at Central Market or Whole Foods (which generally carry different stock from each other but similar to TJs as far as processed stuff goes), then you may go to TJs if it's closer. But if it's across the street from WF, you're likely to go only if you like their particular brands over WF, else, WF has a better selection of organic/vegan/vegetarian/gluten free etc. HEBs vary so much throughout the city, that whether or not they carry similar items will depend on where you live. "My" HEB (which I rarely go to now) is Goliad/SE Military, which carries very little of the kind of stuff TJ's offers, but the De Zavala HEB has much more, for example.

All that said, Trader Joe's has a following, esp. amongst Californians (are East Coasters as devoted?), kinda like In-N-Out, so I suspect with all the transplants, it'll be popular for the familiarity of it.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:52 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,823,161 times
'Nothing definitive has been inked, and the official, who did not want to be named, didn't comment further and didn't volunteer a timeline or possible sites for the anticipated store.'

So, it's 'official' based on this? I'll believe it when I see a press release from corporate and a bought-and-paid-for location that's not just speculation from an EN business writer.

BN

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Trader Joe's

They do a lot of processed/packaged "fancy" stuff (for lack of a better term). They used to be great for imported cheeses, but no different than Central Market from what I've seen lately. They usually have a good wine selection but in the last 2 I went to in CA, the beer selection was lousy.

it's probably a good place for more interesting frozen foods than the standard stuff, cookies, chips, but the kind you are more likely to find at a specialty store.

Their stock does vary depending on the customer base, but in the past year I've been to a number of them in very different parts of CA, and still found them lacking, at least for the stuff I buy. I used to shop there all the time in college as their specialty stuff like cheeses and wine were cheap compared to the local grocery chains (which often didn't carry it), and it was fun to find lots of European products (cookies, crackers etc) that I missed.

So if you'll go out of your way to get that kind of stuff at Central Market or Whole Foods (which generally carry different stock from each other but similar to TJs as far as processed stuff goes), then you may go to TJs if it's closer. But if it's across the street from WF, you're likely to go only if you like their particular brands over WF, else, WF has a better selection of organic/vegan/vegetarian/gluten free etc. HEBs vary so much throughout the city, that whether or not they carry similar items will depend on where you live. "My" HEB (which I rarely go to now) is Goliad/SE Military, which carries very little of the kind of stuff TJ's offers, but the De Zavala HEB has much more, for example.

All that said, Trader Joe's has a following, esp. amongst Californians (are East Coasters as devoted?), kinda like In-N-Out, so I suspect with all the transplants, it'll be popular for the familiarity of it.
Thanks Chaka, that kind of puts it in perspective. I guess WF and CM may change things up a bit due to the added copmpetition if TJ's comes to town. BTW, we shop at the same HEB. I was thinking recently that with all of the growth in that area I'll bet they are wishing they would have put the Plus store at that location rather than at the McCrelles location. I'm glad they didn't though. Even if it gets a bit crowded sometimes it has a better selection than a Plus store.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Thanks Chaka, that kind of puts it in perspective. I guess WF and CM may change things up a bit due to the added copmpetition if TJ's comes to town. BTW, we shop at the same HEB. I was thinking recently that with all of the growth in that area I'll bet they are wishing they would have put the Plus store at that location rather than at the McCrelles location. I'm glad they didn't though. Even if it gets a bit crowded sometimes it has a better selection than a Plus store.
I don't think TJ would be direct competition with WF/CM really, but there is some overlap.

I am glad it's not a Plus store. However, I rarely go there now, since they stopped carrying a lot of what I buy and they have very little organic. I go about once a month for a few staples I can't get easily at CM or if I need to go to Target or HD as well and then I just park and walk between the stores. I did notice they're carrying some more interesting things now, but they seem to experiment a lot and get rid of all the stuff I like....

btw - that HEB seems to ALWAYS be crowded, no matter what time of day I go. Maybe not as crowded early morning as a Saturday afternoon, but still more than I'd expect. And still way better than McCreeless, which is actually closer to me but I avoid like the plague.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,129,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
'Nothing definitive has been inked, and the official, who did not want to be named, didn't comment further and didn't volunteer a timeline or possible sites for the anticipated store.'

So, it's 'official' based on this? I'll believe it when I see a press release from corporate and a bought-and-paid-for location that's not just speculation from an EN business writer.
Two years ago, it wasn't plausible, because Texas was too far from the distribution centers. The distribution center was nearing completion in May, and the first Texas locations were announced, but not to include San Antonio.

Once the distribution center opened in Denton, it seemed like a sure bet that a store would open in San Antonio eventually. At this point, it feels like a store or stores in San Antonio would be a logical next step. So... Plausible, yes... Official, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio