Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:01 PM

45 posts, read 322,293 times

Advertisements

Read the previous posts...

banker wrote:

"To your other point that the KB houses in the Quarry neighborhoods are nicer than the Pulte offerings...after five months of house hunting I found that to be true across the board. Pulte is riding on a reputation of superior product - but the reality is that they have really come down market at all levels. They build just as many boxes as KB does in the lower end and do not offer some of the premium features that KB does at the mid and high end like KB does - like luxury and gourmet kitchens, real four sides brick not the half up stuff that Pulte does and passes off as four sides brick, leave trees in their developments - believe it or not KB leaves more trees now than Pulte does and offers better community features (the Pulte Quarry neighborhood does not have a play area or pool but the KB community does)."

I am not bitter at all, actually thankful. Something I shared in a email exchange with banker. However, when you post opinionated responses like this on a message forum that many people read, I will defend my builder as you defend your builder.

You comments are opinionated. I think the KB houses are nice, but I chose Pulte over theirs. I have stone and bricks on all sides. I have more oak trees in my yard than half as many as the KB homes. You make subtle jabs at Pulte in your post.

And I am honestly surprised, as a banker, you don't see a problem with how KB changed their offering. Think about the people who bought before the summer of 2007 who were told by KB that the price range of this neighborhood would be in the 350's and above. You don't think their resale prices will be negatively affected by lowering the range in midstream, like KB did?

The ironic thing is I totally agree with what you are doing on the purchasing side. You are making off like a bandit by buying low in an higher range neighborhood.

You mentioned that I was "bitter". Huh? As I explained in my earlier email to you, I noted that there was less children in the KB portion of the neighborhood (less houses overall and older demographic it appeared to me).

Don't be shocked if people are going to rebutt your assertions on a public forum. It's not raining on a parade...it is bringing both sides of the discussion to the table.

Good luck on the house, neighbor.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:39 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,750,832 times
Great feedback...I understand where you are coming from and you are right...I am getting the best of the current situation being able to buy in a community for just under $300K when there are individuals that paid over $500K just 18 months ago... You are right - I am sure they aren't too happy about it.

I will do the best I can to be a good neighbor...and enjoy the circumstances I am in.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 AM

We have our "pre-construction" meeting this afternoon. Today we should find out the final build schedule now that they have broken ground. I can't wait!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 AM

KB has updated their website for The Woods of Alon which will have The Empire collection of homes that will also be built in The Quarry - no prices yet - but at least you can see the size and names...they all have three car garages.

Moderator cut: website removed

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-10-2008 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: no bldr websites please

Old 01-24-2008, 11:51 AM

30 posts, read 107,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Great feedback...I understand where you are coming from and you are right...I am getting the best of the current situation being able to buy in a community for just under $300K when there are individuals that paid over $500K just 18 months ago... You are right - I am sure they aren't too happy about it.

I will do the best I can to be a good neighbor...and enjoy the circumstances I am in.
Are you serious? They really did pay over $500K for the same floorplan just 18 months ago?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams33 View Post
Are you serious? They really did pay over $500K for the same floorplan just 18 months ago?
No...I am paying just under $300K when just 18 months ago some people were paying $500K or more to buy into the neighborhood - but not my floor plan. My floorplan was not available 18 months ago.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,834,811 times
I don't get it. You paying 300K for one floor plan and someone else paying 500K for what probably is a bigger, better floor plan is like comparing apples to oranges.
The million dollar question is: is their floor plan (assuming it's bigger, nicer) worth the additional 200K? Is that what you're trying to say?

There are many neighborhoods where prices can vary hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 01-24-2008 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-24-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I don't get it. You paying 300K for one floor plan and someone else paying 500K for what probably is a bigger, better floor plan is like comparing apples to oranges.
The million dollar question is: is their floor plan (assuming it's bigger, nicer) worth the additional 200K? Is that what you're trying to say?

There are many neighborhoods where prices can vary hundreds of thousands of dollars.
No someone ealier said that prices have dropped and when someone previously paid $500K + for a home might not like it that I paid $300K...but the point is that since the Quarry was first introduced over two years ago - the base price has come down significantly for the same house...about $60-75K when the change in options pricing is taken into account. This is due to the ever weakening housing market. The neighborhood was introduced as a $400-550K community and has evolved into a $280-450K community. Still nice by anyone's standards...but much cheaper than intended. Especially if you paid $550K for a house that today you could build (the same home) for $450K.

Needless to say - I am one of the fortunate people that benefit from the price drop (due to the housing market - not an evil plan by KB) and am able to build in a community that two years ago was out of reach!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,834,811 times
I see. The market market might dictate even further reductions..no one knows. That would make them even more upset. Would probably upset you as well. I personally think that we have a loong way to go until bottom.
We paid cash for our home, and live well below our means. I guess it would bother me as well, if I saw folks buying homes in my area for much less than what I paid.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I see. The market market might dictate even further reductions..no one knows. That would make them even more upset. Would probably upset you as well. I personally think that we have a loong way to go until bottom.
We paid cash for our home, and live well below our means. I guess it would bother me as well, if I saw folks buying homes in my area for much less than what I paid.
You are in the minority - as most people have a mortgage. I am going to be financing about 72% of my purchase price. I trye very diligently to live below my means and plan on having my home paid for prior to my daughter (who is a toddler) going to college. I am not buying this home as an investment but as a place to live and raise a family - so if prices drop further it will not bother me that much. I am in it for the long haul and know that real estate goes in cycles and always (at least historically) has regained lost ground and cost more in the long term. So my value is safe from a long term perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio