Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 10:49 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times

Advertisements

You can tube the rivers. Not many places in the US where you can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 10:55 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
Not that I care about that factoid one way or the other, but the whole german inflection hasn't been a dominant experience for me since landing here. NB ain't german in any meaningful way today by demographics or daily life, they just keep using that shtick for the service industry component. This place in day to day is the typical S/Central Texan split of generic Anglo whites, and immigrant-distancing/disassociating, Anglicizing Mexican-Americans found in most of South Central TX.

Transplants are through the roof (yours truly very much included), and as has been highlighted the traffic in the summers is getting pretty bad. In the two years I've spent in Comal County the traffic increases YoY have been palpable. I shudder to think what this place will look like in 5 years. We certainly have no intention of retiring here, it's socially too repressive/insular for our taste. We're currently on the fence as to whether we even want to live here through the kid's high school years (we got a while to go on that). I remember Schertz in 2011 (mil TDY), then coming back to the area in 2018. I expect similar dynamics of this place on the same decade to decade spread. IOW, it's no small town, and it's no secret. This thing will be one megametro of SAT-AUS by 2030. Caveat emptor.

As to the pro/cons, depends on your politics. It has been a terrible fit for us, but the logistics of driving from San Marcos (a place I think would have been more fitting to our politics...relatively to NB that is) made it so that NB was as far as I could drive while not wanting to hang myself by my boot laces in a week. I got 7 years to go to 1st retirement, so it'll will do. I had other life items that leaned me to this location over say a more job-proximate anytown suburb like Cibolo/Schertz (wanted short GA airport drive, San Antonio is terrible on that front), but that's not germane to your question.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:46 PM

62 posts, read 77,893 times
Just how bad is the traffic in NB? Are there certain areas to avoid?

Old 09-29-2020, 01:07 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
You can tube the rivers. Not many places in the US where you can do that.
Probably in the top 5 of the country I bet.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:21 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. Going to look at houses there this weekend.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:29 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Many of us bemoan the "traffic woes" of New Braunfels, yet it takes only a quick trip to SA, Austin or San Marcos to realize it's relatively mild. Heavier than it once was, beyond a doubt (having lived here off and on since the 1950's, finally moving back for good in 2004) - but still not as horrid as some would imply. Every time we've considered relocating, we realize that for US, NB is home. There's pretty much everything we need right here - and our PD works hard to keep everyone safe. We had some folks "walk" a tab at a local eatery a few weeks back - within 24 hours, they were ID'd and things taken care of thanks to the local who won't put up with fools.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:27 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
Cons: no planning. Driving through there on I-35 the signage is so ugly. It looks like one big truck stop. I rented an apartment there for a year and I laughed at the notion that some people are so bored that they spend a week on the banks of those creeks and they call that vacation. You can’t get anywhere during the summer.

Cons: local instructional airport. Don’t locate anywhere near the airport especially when working from home because when they hold flight training classes, people will be circling overhead all the time.

Cons: it’s one big strip mall

Cons: the hs needs a new mascot name. The unicorns?

Cons: too much development. It’s insane. And it’s gonna get worse. Really fast.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Many of us bemoan the "traffic woes" of New Braunfels, yet it takes only a quick trip to SA, Austin or San Marcos to realize it's relatively mild. Heavier than it once was, beyond a doubt (having lived here off and on since the 1950's, finally moving back for good in 2004) - but still not as horrid as some would imply. Every time we've considered relocating, we realize that for US, NB is home. There's pretty much everything we need right here - and our PD works hard to keep everyone safe. We had some folks "walk" a tab at a local eatery a few weeks back - within 24 hours, they were ID'd and things taken care of thanks to the local who won't put up with fools.

Thanks, that's kind of what we were thinking about the place.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:57 PM

216 posts, read 132,129 times
Default Yes, Agree,

I've lived New Braunfels and did not like it either. I will not move back. Landa Park is nice enough.
The size of the city is also good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Cons: no planning. Driving through there on I-35 the signage is so ugly. It looks like one big truck stop. I rented an apartment there for a year and I laughed at the notion that some people are so bored that they spend a week on the banks of those creeks and they call that vacation. You can’t get anywhere during the summer.

Cons: local instructional airport. Don’t locate anywhere near the airport especially when working from home because when they hold flight training classes, people will be circling overhead all the time.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:38 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post

I agree with all of these cons. I think it is still a decent place to live.

The parts I bolded are the main downfalls of New Braunfels imo. It's why I would prefer to live further northwest into the hill country (Mason, San Saba, even Fredericksburg is way better in this aspect... housing prices though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio