Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 12:44 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,731,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
SA could be the bats too, 15 million come out of Bracken Cave on the northeast side. Congress Street bridge 1.5 million, although I've never seen either one.
I've sat and watched the bats from the little spot near Quincy in SA before. It was somewhat disappointing. I haven't sat and watched the bats up here. I don't think there are any caves or anywhere where the bats hide in San Antonio that would be interfering with any buildings. I know there's a distinct bat smell when you go down Saint Mary's under 281, just like there's a smell near Congress in Austin. The majority of the bats in SA are north of the city, from my understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 01:56 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,510,370 times
Off topic, but for those who haven't been to the Old Tunnel State Park to watch the bats emerge in the early evening, you should go.
It's an awesome sight to see. Between Comfort and Fredericksburg on old hwy 9. ( Today's FM 473 )

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...B2a5f0lZEUF0-W

Now back to your regular programming...

Old 12-22-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Off topic, but for those who haven't been to the Old Tunnel State Park to watch the bats emerge in the early evening, you should go.
It's an awesome sight to see. Between Comfort and Fredericksburg on old hwy 9. ( Today's FM 473 )

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...B2a5f0lZEUF0-W

Now back to your regular programming...
I've got an AirBnB stay scheduled in Comfort next week and this came up on my list of places to go. I'm going to pass because I wanted a place to go with my dog and it's off season for the bats. But it looks cool and I've never heard of it until now.

Back to the topic....

Old 12-22-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I've got an AirBnB stay scheduled in Comfort next week and this came up on my list of places to go. I'm going to pass because I wanted a place to go with my dog and it's off season for the bats. But it looks cool and I've never heard of it until now.

Back to the topic....
Awesome! Have fun.
I might suggest going out 473 a few miles to River Bend road. Follow it to James Kiehl park. Trails along the river to take the pooch walking. Take a right out of the park and go across the river, thru the ghost town of Brownsboro. Old cemeteries and historical markers there if you're into that kind of stuff. Go until the road dead ends, take another right until it dead ends at a cul-de-sac. Short distance. There you will see an old stage coach stop just across the fence.
Kendall County Park is a beautiful spot to take the pooch walking too. Even has a nice dog park. Take the Welfare exit to get to it.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:14 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,455,683 times
Off topic...

Wouldn't the bats be carrying Covid or something?

Old 12-22-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Off topic...

Wouldn't the bats be carrying Covid or something?
They all wear little masks.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:31 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
They all wear little masks.
Wow. Sounds batty.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:33 AM

624 posts, read 908,340 times
Quote:
I've sat and watched the bats from the little spot near Quincy in SA before. It was somewhat disappointing. I haven't sat and watched the bats up here. I don't think there are any caves or anywhere where the bats hide in San Antonio that would be interfering with any buildings. I know there's a distinct bat smell when you go down Saint Mary's under 281, just like there's a smell near Congress in Austin. The majority of the bats in SA are north of the city, from my understanding.

Bracken Cave is the summer home to the largest colony of bats in the world. An estimated 20 million Mexican free-tailed bats roost in the cave from March to October making it the largest known concentration of mammals. The cave is located in southern Comal County, Texas, outside the city of San Antonio. Wikipedia
Address: 26101 FM3009, San Antonio, TX 78266, it's near the city of Garden Ridge.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Bracken Cave is the summer home to the largest colony of bats in the world. An estimated 20 million Mexican free-tailed bats roost in the cave from March to October making it the largest known concentration of mammals. The cave is located in southern Comal County, Texas, outside the city of San Antonio. Wikipedia
Address: 26101 FM3009, San Antonio, TX 78266, it's near the city of Garden Ridge.
Yes. I’m aware of where it is located, but how downtown buildings would be impacted by this specific colony...I’m not sure.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:07 PM

624 posts, read 908,340 times
Quote:
Yes. I’m aware of where it is located, but how downtown buildings would be impacted by this specific colony...I’m not sure.
Probably not at all, I just said northeast SA because it's closest to that side of town, should have said Garden Ridge a suburb of SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio