Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 08:14 AM

29 posts, read 53,950 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I are seriously considering a move to the San Antonio area from Michigan this year. My husband and I just got home from a trip to Texas since he had never been. We went to many different cities and neighborhoods and felt that SA and surrounding area fit our desires best.

From the neighborhoods we visited in San Antonio specifically, we liked Helotes, Castle Hills, Alamo Heights (but our budget doesn't fit that area), Braun Station area, Olmos, and Sonoma Heights (again, I THINK this area might be out of our price range). The things we liked best about these areas (although not all had everything) are the trees, elevation, cozy feel, and not all brand new homes (not looking to buy new). It also seems like there are some good schools around those areas, as we have two current 7th graders.

We also really liked New Braunfels and San Marcos. Loved the river, trees, elevation (hilly), the city areas, and parks. Oh! And I loved Canyon Lake and Boerne!

Here are things that would be in our "ideal" location. I'm well aware that there probably won't be a place that fits all of our like-to-haves, but perhaps I could get some guidance on areas that might fit well. Thank you in advance!

Would like:
- trees
- hills
- good schools (middle and high school)
- cool nightlife and activities that you don’t necessarily have to go all the way downtown for
- safe
- parks and hiking areas close by (we're really big into hiking)
- houses that aren't stacked on top of each other

Our budget is around $350,000. We need at least 3 bedrooms and ideally 1.5+ baths. Thanks so much!

P.S. Also posting in the "San Antonio" thread.

Last edited by aen935; 02-02-2021 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 08:44 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,370,269 times
Worth looking at the Boerne (pronounced Bernie) area. Great schools, and in the Hill County, so that satisfies the hills requirement. Boerne ISD, like Alamo Heights ISD, consistently ranks among the best in the San Antonio area. Boerne ISD currently has 2 high schools, 3 middle schools, and 7 elementary schools. SH-46 is the dividing line for the 2 high schools. Students north of 46 attend Boerne High School, while those south attend Boerne Samuel V. Champion (or just Champion) High School. For details regarding the attendance zones, you can view the district web site here.

Boerne is situated along State Hwy 46, which provides a direct route to Canyon Lake. Guadalupe State Park is just east of Boerne along SH-46, and provides access to the Upper Guadalupe River, above Canyon Lake. Great for swimming, tubing, kayaking, fishing, etc. There are a mix of older, established neighborhoods, and newer construction in the Boerne area. It is in close proximity to other Hill Country towns for close to home weekend getaways. These include Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Comfort, Luckenback, Blanco, Johnson City, and others.

As someone that grew up in the Midwest, specifically NW Ohio, I must disclose it gets hot in the summer. While I grew up in NW Ohio, I spent much of Army career in central Texas, so I am acclimated to the climate. For new arrivals, the weeks or months of 100+ degree temps can be a bit daunting. For this reason, from an energy efficiency standpoint, newer construction may be a better option. Most newer construction feature energy efficient designs through things like radiant barriers on roof decking, attic fans, higher efficiency AC units, double pane windows, better insulation, etc. They also incorporate older ideas that provide more comfort in the summer months like high ceilings, ceiling fans, blinds, and blackout curtains.

Good site for information on the Boerne area here.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Worth looking at the Boerne (pronounced Bernie) area. Great schools, and in the Hill County, so that satisfies the hills requirement. Boerne ISD, like Alamo Heights ISD, consistently ranks among the best in the San Antonio area. Boerne ISD currently has 2 high schools, 3 middle schools, and 7 elementary schools. SH-46 is the dividing line for the 2 high schools. Students north of 46 attend Boerne High School, while those south attend Boerne Samuel V. Champion (or just Champion) High School. For details regarding the attendance zones, you can view the district web site here.

Boerne is situated along State Hwy 46, which provides a direct route to Canyon Lake. Guadalupe State Park is just east of Boerne along SH-46, and provides access to the Upper Guadalupe River, above Canyon Lake. Great for swimming, tubing, kayaking, fishing, etc. There are a mix of older, established neighborhoods, and newer construction in the Boerne area. It is in close proximity to other Hill Country towns for close to home weekend getaways. These include Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Comfort, Luckenback, Blanco, Johnson City, and others.

As someone that grew up in the Midwest, specifically NW Ohio, I must disclose it gets hot in the summer. While I grew up in NW Ohio, I spent much of Army career in central Texas, so I am acclimated to the climate. For new arrivals, the weeks or months of 100+ degree temps can be a bit daunting. For this reason, from an energy efficiency standpoint, newer construction may be a better option. Most newer construction feature energy efficient designs through things like radiant barriers on roof decking, attic fans, higher efficiency AC units, double pane windows, better insulation, etc. They also incorporate older ideas that provide more comfort in the summer months like high ceilings, ceiling fans, blinds, and blackout curtains.

Good site for information on the Boerne area here.
Oh yeah! Boerne. We thought that town was super cute as well! And I liked the eclectic mix of the neighborhoods we drove through. Thank you for letting me know how it's pronounced! I had no idea. I kept pronouncing it "born." Heh.

Good point about new construction! I hadn't taken that into consideration. How new are you thinking? Are things built in the 80s or 90s too old? How far back would you think was "safe"?

Thanks for replying!

Old 02-02-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aen935 View Post
Oh yeah! Boerne. We thought that town was super cute as well! And I liked the eclectic mix of the neighborhoods we drove through. Thank you for letting me know how it's pronounced! I had no idea. I kept pronouncing it "born." Heh.

Good point about new construction! I hadn't taken that into consideration. How new are you thinking? Are things built in the 80s or 90s too old? How far back would you think was "safe"?

Thanks for replying!
Most places built after 1990 would have double pane windows, better insulation, etc. However, the radiant barrier roof decking didn't become common place until after the early 2000s. It's basically just a metal foil on the inside of your roof decking that limits the heat radiated into your attic space. Other things that help control attic temps are attic fans (both passive and active), ridge vents, and blown insulation. The cooler your attic, the less hard your AC has to work. We have a radiant barrier, active attic fan (runs on a thermostat, when it reaches a certain temp, it kicks on and sucks fresh air in through the soffits, and expels hot air, passive turbine fans, and blown insulation. Our AC went down for a blower motor on a 102 degree Saturday, and couldn't get the replacement part until Monday AM. Over a 24 hour period, with temps hitting 102, it never got over 78 degrees in the house. Of course, that was with the blinds shut, curtains closed, etc.

Not to say you cannot look at older home. Many in the Boerne area have been renovated, and include the efficiency features mentioned. However, people renovating older homes are looking to get back their investment, plus a profit, and the prices reflect that. There are areas outside of the Boerne, and San Antonio city limits that are Boerne addresses, and attend Boerne ISD, but don't have the additional city taxes. There are many newer neighborhoods along I-10 from Ralph Fair Rd, to the Boerne city limits that also fall into this category. Fair Oaks Ranch is a "city", and does have it's own police department, but has a range of new to old to look at. There is a country club with golf, swimming, tennis, etc. Also a lot of newer neighborhoods along SH-46, both east and west of Boerne. With the recent improvements on 46, traffic is much better!

Old 02-02-2021, 09:56 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
If you or your husband are planning to work in San Antonio, I think you would be happier living in San Antonio.

Personally I wouldn't want to do the daily round trips between Boerne and San Antonio so that is why I suggest San Antonio area first, assuming you will work in San Antonio.

Other than the schools I don't really see the benefit of living in Boerne vs San Antonio these days. 20+ years ago I would think differently before everyone was flocking there. I spent a lot of time in Boerne back in the early 90s and it was sure a different place back then.

Braun Station area is a very good choice. I lived there for a short period of time and it was very nice and pretty much fits a lot of your criteria. I haven't looked at the prices there but it is a lot of the late 80s and early 90s good construction quality homes.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:00 PM

With the new HOV lanes between Ralph Fair Rd., and 1604, there are seldom any delays on the commute, in either direction. We normally make it to the Walters exit on I-35N from Fair Oaks Pkwy in 25 minutes or so. It is a commute, but the schools make it worth it. Better performing schools, with smaller class sizes than the massive NISD, or NEISD systems.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
If you or your husband are planning to work in San Antonio, I think you would be happier living in San Antonio.

Personally I wouldn't want to do the daily round trips between Boerne and San Antonio so that is why I suggest San Antonio area first, assuming you will work in San Antonio.

Other than the schools I don't really see the benefit of living in Boerne vs San Antonio these days. 20+ years ago I would think differently before everyone was flocking there. I spent a lot of time in Boerne back in the early 90s and it was sure a different place back then.

Braun Station area is a very good choice. I lived there for a short period of time and it was very nice and pretty much fits a lot of your criteria. I haven't looked at the prices there but it is a lot of the late 80s and early 90s good construction quality homes.
I'm sorry, I should've put this in the original post. Both my husband and I work from home (not temporarily, we worked remotely before COVID) so we don't need to be in San Antonio proper. But I also don't want to live in the middle of "nowhere." Heh.

Are San Antonio schools bad? I am curious if they are so bad that it would be worth looking somewhere else? I thought most Texas schools were pretty good. I only have friends who are teachers in Dallas and I know those systems are wonderful. I guess I just assumed...shame on me! Hmm...this may present a change in thought then.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:26 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aen935 View Post

Are San Antonio schools bad? I am curious if they are so bad that it would be worth looking somewhere else? I thought most Texas schools were pretty good. I only have friends who are teachers in Dallas and I know those systems are wonderful. I guess I just assumed...shame on me! Hmm...this may present a change in thought then.
What would make you think that? Northside, Northeast and Alamo Heights are all great school districts.

I think what the other person was saying is that Boerne is a touch better and some people move to Boerne based on the reviews of Boerne ISD instead of living in SA proper. On abother note, traffic near Braun, even with the changes to the highway is yucky. I'd stay away from anything west of Bandera for traffic reasons and that's coming from someone living in Austin.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:30 PM

73 posts, read 68,207 times
Northside ISD is pretty good and they cover a big portion of San Antonio but people here are listing the best schools around the San Antonio Metro such as Boerne ISD. Not all school systems are good but usually the higher income the area, the better the schools are. It's not just San Antonio but Texas as a whole. You should do such research on where the districts lie and the areas you are trying to live into. Boerne is a beautiful area but also the houses are very expensive.

New Braunfels is also a great area but the influx of people trying to move here have pushed house prices though the roof. San Marcos is currently where I'm living in right now due to me going to Texas State. It's really known more of a college town and party area.

Try searching up Schertz, Cibolo, and surrounding communities to research if you would like to move there. Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Helotes, & Spring Branch are in the Hill Country area and should be looked into as well.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:46 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoSaldana4 View Post
Northside ISD is pretty good and they cover a big portion of San Antonio but people here are listing the best schools around the San Antonio Metro such as Boerne ISD. Not all school systems are good but usually the higher income the area, the better the schools are. It's not just San Antonio but Texas as a whole. You should do such research on where the districts lie and the areas you are trying to live into. Boerne is a beautiful area but also the houses are very expensive.

New Braunfels is also a great area but the influx of people trying to move here have pushed house prices though the roof. San Marcos is currently where I'm living in right now due to me going to Texas State. It's really known more of a college town and party area.

Try searching up Schertz, Cibolo, and surrounding communities to research if you would like to move there. Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Helotes, & Spring Branch are in the Hill Country area and should be looked into as well.
San Marcos (and even New Braunfels) is feeling the pinch of the Austin housing market. Schertz schools are no better then Northside, maybe even a bit lower achieving depending on which one you’re looking. Schools end up being a very personal choice, and I recommend OP do their own research on schools to make an informed decision. That even means reaching out to the school directly to ask questions and not to rely on ratings like Great Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio