Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2023, 02:19 PM

7 posts, read 10,162 times

Advertisements

We currently reside south of Madison, Wisconsin and we are seriously considering relocating to the west/northwest side of San Antonio.

My better half is a Texas Aggie (College Station) and I have friends in Hondo. We enjoy everything about the area (minus the rapid increase in the COL the last 18-24 months).

That being said, I am a Project Manager/Electrician for a commercial electrical contractor and I was wondering what the job market was like in the area. I will be reaching out to several companies with general inquiry emails as well. From my research, I am having a hard time believing that the pay scales that I am seeing for the area, are what they are. They are low! I am talking $25k to $35k (or more) lower than where we are currently.

If anyone with knowledge of the industry can chime in, it would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 02:40 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Not sure what your salary ranges are but just an example. According to an online cost of living calculator a salary of 80,000 in Madison could decrease to 70,000 in San Antonio and it would be the same.

And if you are looking at Hondo (it is a great town!) it is much cheaper than San Antonio as well, although you will have a far commute or have to find a job closer.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:37 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
I grew up in Hondo and currently work with a co-worker from Hondo who commutes to San Antonio every day. I live in San Antonio right now.

I often thought about moving back to Hondo but my co-worker said the commute is too much and that Hondo is losing its charm but maybe only people who grew up there years ago can see that happening. They are going to build a starbucks there which I would have laughed at back in 1995. I expect most of the customers there will be people passing through and the folks who live in Kollman Oaks.

I actually know a family there that is from Wisconsin originally. I think the husband was a teacher for many years.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I grew up in Hondo and currently work with a co-worker from Hondo who commutes to San Antonio every day. I live in San Antonio right now.

I often thought about moving back to Hondo but my co-worker said the commute is too much and that Hondo is losing its charm but maybe only people who grew up there years ago can see that happening. They are going to build a starbucks there which I would have laughed at back in 1995. I expect most of the customers there will be people passing through and the folks who live in Kollman Oaks.
A Starbucks in Hondo. Oh man.

About 13 years ago my father made the commute from Hondo to San Antonio. It wasn’t that bad then. I don’t think I could do it now, unless I worked on the west side of town. Castroville is probably doable but even there it seems like the area has grown so much.

If I worked on the north side of town I would live in bulverde and if I worked on the south side I would live in floresville or Pleasanton. I’m smack dab in the middle though so I need to find a new job. Lol…

Old 10-13-2023, 10:46 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
A Starbucks in Hondo. Oh man.
It makes me laugh because most people in Hondo back in the day met for coffee at the local Dairy Queen or that cafe owned by Ritchers. The Ritchers made the beef jerky for many years that you would see at gas stations but I haven't seen it in awhile now.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:50 AM

I had my first kiss at that Dairy Queen after school when I was in 7th grade. The good ol days.
I might have to go down there this winter and stop by billy bobs. Haven’t been to Hondo in years. I had 2 buddies that still lived there that I would visit but they both moved out so I have no real reason to go back. Don’t know anybody who lives there. I’m sure most of my old buddies live in big cities now. Might be a couple that work at the local wal mart. Lol

Old 10-13-2023, 01:15 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Oh man, a Starbucks in Hondo?
I'm still getting used to the golden arches place.
Like you said, it's for the commuters and tourists passing thru. I can't see the old-timers (what few are left) paying $4-5 for a cup of coffee. Wish Bill & Rosa's would open back up in D'Hanis.

Old 10-14-2023, 12:10 PM

This thread has brought me more entertainment and laughs than it should have. Thanks Op! Hopefully you can find some assistance. You might try posting on the Reddit for San Antonio. It is pretty active.

Old 10-21-2023, 11:06 AM

864 posts, read 867,433 times
You mention your reason for moving is the rapidly increasing COL where you are. It’s much much worse in San Antonio and all over Texas. Keep in mind you’re moving from a high wage, high cost of living area to a low wage area. Wages in all fields are significantly lower than where you are now and have not kept pace with the rapidly rising COL.

Old 10-26-2023, 08:57 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMP View Post
We currently reside south of Madison, Wisconsin and we are seriously considering relocating to the west/northwest side of San Antonio.

My better half is a Texas Aggie (College Station) and I have friends in Hondo. We enjoy everything about the area (minus the rapid increase in the COL the last 18-24 months).

That being said, I am a Project Manager/Electrician for a commercial electrical contractor and I was wondering what the job market was like in the area. I will be reaching out to several companies with general inquiry emails as well. From my research, I am having a hard time believing that the pay scales that I am seeing for the area, are what they are. They are low! I am talking $25k to $35k (or more) lower than where we are currently.

If anyone with knowledge of the industry can chime in, it would be appreciated.

Gig em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio