Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 08:00 AM

816 posts, read 445,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I knew this would lead to a debate in pit bulls. And I am so conflicted. I do believe they get a bad rep, every single one I have met (and I go to dog parks and am around them all the time) acted like a lab. But then I read stories of pits attacking their owners, some were brought to the home as puppies and were family dogs not trained to attack. This just doesn't with Golden Retrievers.

I can't argue facts, and Pit Bulls do attacked more than Golden Retrievers. But look deeper into facts and causes, even though it's a tough find for true facts. I can go by what I know, what I have seen, and what I think (which is always subjective, I must admit).

Goldens do bite, but most often only if they were mistreated or ignored (they bite from frustration). Non-provoked, well trained Goldens will virtually never bite.

Pit Bulls have a stigma attached to them that I think will never change. Trained to fight and if abused, they are truly relentless and are known to fight to the death. An untrained abused Pit Bull will act out and attack un-provoked (although I'll argue an untrained and ignored dog is a form of abuse).

It is true that if trained to defend/fight they are one of the best, and cross breeding to create an even "crazier" Pit Bull is sadly a fact. The breed itself has been so abused that it will seemingly forever be known as unpredictable and deadly. I hate that fact.

But like Rottweilers that I have owned and known, an ethical responsible breeder will provide a good puppy without those tendencies. It's such a shame how they are abused.

A bit of history of the Pit Bull is below. They weren't always thought of as the breed they are today....

https://love-a-bull.org/resources/th...iting%E2%80%9D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 09:57 AM

3,279 posts, read 1,415,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
An untrained abused Pit Bull will act out and attack un-provoked (although I'll argue an untrained and ignored dog is a form of abuse).
I have had/owned dogs my entire life (I am 60 years old). I have never "trained" any of my dogs, other than housebreaking them and loving them. None of my dogs have ever bitten or threatened anyone. I have never had a pit bull. Most dog owners are like me---they are owners of dogs---they do not TRAIN dogs. If a breed requires training to be safely kept in public, it does not belong in public.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:27 AM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I have no idea why the city allows people to own breeds of dogs that are absolutely known to be aggressive and dangerous.
ANY breed can be aggressive and dangerous. Any effin' breed.

Old 11-12-2023, 11:53 AM

3,279 posts, read 1,415,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
No doubt. However, some are more so than others. You can choose to ignore that if you wish, but it doesn't change the facts.

Old 11-12-2023, 12:42 PM

1,038 posts, read 876,275 times
Bottom line, if your dog bites someone or destroys something, you're on the hook for damages.

In many of these instances, the people with the out of control animals have nothing to sue for anyway, but there needs to be a continued push to remind pet owners they're legally responsible.

San Antonio (and Texas) need to keep stepping it up when it comes to prosecuting these issues.

Old 11-12-2023, 01:37 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
No breed comes close when it comes to serious attacks/injuries and deaths. From 1979-1998 fatal dog attacks by breed top 3:

Pitbull 66, Rottweiler 39, German shepherd 17. https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal...tistics-breed/

Old 11-13-2023, 03:13 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
I can't argue facts, and Pit Bulls do attacked more than Golden Retrievers. But look deeper into facts and causes, even though it's a tough find for true facts. I can go by what I know, what I have seen, and what I think (which is always subjective, I must admit).

Goldens do bite, but most often only if they were mistreated or ignored (they bite from frustration). Non-provoked, well trained Goldens will virtually never bite.

Pit Bulls have a stigma attached to them that I think will never change. Trained to fight and if abused, they are truly relentless and are known to fight to the death. An untrained abused Pit Bull will act out and attack un-provoked (although I'll argue an untrained and ignored dog is a form of abuse).

It is true that if trained to defend/fight they are one of the best, and cross breeding to create an even "crazier" Pit Bull is sadly a fact. The breed itself has been so abused that it will seemingly forever be known as unpredictable and deadly. I hate that fact.

But like Rottweilers that I have owned and known, an ethical responsible breeder will provide a good puppy without those tendencies. It's such a shame how they are abused.

A bit of history of the Pit Bull is below. They weren't always thought of as the breed they are today....

https://love-a-bull.org/resources/th...iting%E2%80%9D.
On top of it's just not a good looking breed (IMO). It's what is called a ghetto dog. Let's face it, many people would agree in their mind but just won't say it. There is a certain stigma attached to their owners as trying to look "tough" and may be used for a fighting dog.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:22 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
There's a HUGE difference between the AKC American Staffordshire Terrier and the "pit bull" dogs that are so prone to attacking people and other dogs. I've known a couple of AKC AmStaff breeders, and they are just appalled at what their beloved breed has turned into thanks to poor breeding and fight training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: