Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 AM

97 posts, read 151,777 times

Advertisements

well i lived there on Pyron and Zarzamora next to Mayfield went to Collier elementary on to Harlandale and started woring in 1964 so i did live in the area-- 1954 - 1970 -- and yes i remember all those business you all mention also there was a Levis jean factory, Lasso western wear in that area where i lived-- and the good old Griffs burgers on military dr-- there are alot of wonderful memories there, but in the now that area is not recognizable it has changed 100% and totally packed with business' and lots of people, but the memories live on, after all "MEMORIES IS THE THREAD OF LIFE" so thanks SATX56 for the memories over and over again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 AM

51 posts, read 143,847 times
SATX56 This is a response to two of your posts. Now that you mentioned it, I vaguely remember Dauchy Rd. You are absolutely right on the name of Morrill Elementary. I remember when it was called Morrill Ward, and in my child's mind I used to think of it as some type of reform school. I didn't realize the name Ward was a proper name, I really thought it was a ward like a reformatory. I don't remember Texas Panaderia nor K.P.'s. I agree that losing Sears was the biggest loss.
My dentist was Dr. Woodside. As I remember he had his office on the west side of South Flores, and I think it was in the same building as Scheh's Pharmacy. I also remember Dr. Wilson and Dr. Jaeckle by name only. They were the doctor and dentist of some of my childhood friends.
So you had Miss Jost as your second grade teacher too. I remember as a kid how pretty I thought she was. In my mind she looked a lot like Phyllis Kirk who played on The Thin Man television show with Peter Lawford. I don't know if you remember Sarah Cannon, my third grade teacher, but she was my absolute favorite teacher. I loved that lady so much that I named my first daughter Sarah after her.
Too bad we weren't buddies back then. For you to have a friend that worked at the Chief must have been great. To think - "all the burgers and shakes we could eat" - I would have loved to have been your buddy.
Here are a few more businesses you may or may not remember. The Pure Ice Company at Pleasanton Rd. and Division. The Short Stop on Pleasanton Rd. which eventually became Lup-Mar, Fraga's Groceries on Pleasanton Rd., the Mexiquito Mexican restaurant on Nogalitos. Dacbert Piano Company on Pruitt at Nogalitos. The Tropical Fruit Stand on Pleasanton Rd. owned by Mr. Segovia. The Circle 81 Drive-in Theater at Zarzarmora and Somerset and Laredo Hwy. Vance's Drive-in on Roosevelt. Christi's Seafood restaurant on Roosevelt, across from Roosevelt Park. Ripp's Feed Store on Nogalitos, later moved to Laredo Hwy. Mike Persia Chevrolet on Military at Commercial. An ice house named Snoga's, which I can't remember the location. Honky tonks I used to go to with my parents included, Chet Reeve's Top Rail in Berg's Mill, Bob's Place at the corner of Roosevelt & Riverside, Fernando's Hideaway on Pearsall Rd., and a place called The Sneak Spot, which I can't remember the location. Another place I dearly loved, but not anywhere near the Southside, was the old K.T. Hall out on Austin Highway. It always had a great oom-pah band playing all those wonderful polkas and waltzes. Also, do you remember Cap'n Jim's seafood restaurant at Roosevelt and Military, and The Texan restaurant and Pan American restaurant on Pleasanton Rd. And my absolute favorite, which thankfully is still there, is Bud Jones at Commercial and Military.
Dang it! It's 2:15 in the morning, and I should have been in bed a few hours ago. But I read your posts and got on one of my nostalgia attacks again. As Bob Hope would sing "Thanks for the memories."

Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 AM

905 posts, read 1,630,532 times
Texan is officially closed as of a month ago..

Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 PM

51 posts, read 143,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Fumblefingers O'Mel,

You would probably enjoy this other thread, too, if you've not already had a chance to read it:
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II

There is also a part one to that as well: Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I
Thanks BstYet. I have read both threads before and found them to be quite memory jogging. Very interesting threads, and due to your recommendation I have read them again.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Woodside was in Scheh's building. Dauchy was from S. Presa east to McCreless mall and beyond. Morrill was a two story building north of Sayers St. originally. It was torn down maybe 30 or 40 years ago.

I remember Mrs.Cannon. I had Schesler (sp) for 3rd. Hard to recall Mrs. Jost's face. Just faintly recall now.
Pure Ice we frequented for fishing gear and deer storage.. Bob Pastoria I believe was his name ..family to Bud Jones Restaurant bunch and the old Bob Jones Truck Stop. He learned refrigeration in the navy and built the refrigeration system for Pure Ice Co's former owner. He bough t him out. AMA wrecker was caddy corner across the street in a little shop attached to Pan American Restaurant.

The "Short Stop" I'd forgotten that name "Lup Mar" yep spent a lot of money in there. The Alanis's owned it.
Bought a lot of goodies in Fraga's and i believe the Tropical Fruit stand was across the street from it. I think The Segovia's bought our old house on W. Harlan. My dad could have kicked himself later. Sigmor Shamrock on each end at Flores and Pleasanton Rd.

Ripp's is now under new name. Mike Persia ( buy your Chevrolet from Persia Mike Persia Chevrolet) old commercials still in my head. Capt'n Jim's gone. All our drive ins gone. Pan American Rest. gone. Now I've heard the Texan is calling it quits. Thanks for your memories too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumblefingers O'Mel View Post
SATX56 This is a response to two of your posts. Now that you mentioned it, I vaguely remember Dauchy Rd. You are absolutely right on the name of Morrill Elementary. I remember when it was called Morrill Ward, and in my child's mind I used to think of it as some type of reform school. I didn't realize the name Ward was a proper name, I really thought it was a ward like a reformatory. I don't remember Texas Panaderia nor K.P.'s. I agree that losing Sears was the biggest loss.
My dentist was Dr. Woodside. As I remember he had his office on the west side of South Flores, and I think it was in the same building as Scheh's Pharmacy. I also remember Dr. Wilson and Dr. Jaeckle by name only. They were the doctor and dentist of some of my childhood friends.
So you had Miss Jost as your second grade teacher too. I remember as a kid how pretty I thought she was. In my mind she looked a lot like Phyllis Kirk who played on The Thin Man television show with Peter Lawford. I don't know if you remember Sarah Cannon, my third grade teacher, but she was my absolute favorite teacher. I loved that lady so much that I named my first daughter Sarah after her.
Too bad we weren't buddies back then. For you to have a friend that worked at the Chief must have been great. To think - "all the burgers and shakes we could eat" - I would have loved to have been your buddy.
Here are a few more businesses you may or may not remember. The Pure Ice Company at Pleasanton Rd. and Division. The Short Stop on Pleasanton Rd. which eventually became Lup-Mar, Fraga's Groceries on Pleasanton Rd., the Mexiquito Mexican restaurant on Nogalitos. Dacbert Piano Company on Pruitt at Nogalitos. The Tropical Fruit Stand on Pleasanton Rd. owned by Mr. Segovia. The Circle 81 Drive-in Theater at Zarzarmora and Somerset and Laredo Hwy. Vance's Drive-in on Roosevelt. Christi's Seafood restaurant on Roosevelt, across from Roosevelt Park. Ripp's Feed Store on Nogalitos, later moved to Laredo Hwy. Mike Persia Chevrolet on Military at Commercial. An ice house named Snoga's, which I can't remember the location. Honky tonks I used to go to with my parents included, Chet Reeve's Top Rail in Berg's Mill, Bob's Place at the corner of Roosevelt & Riverside, Fernando's Hideaway on Pearsall Rd., and a place called The Sneak Spot, which I can't remember the location. Another place I dearly loved, but not anywhere near the Southside, was the old K.T. Hall out on Austin Highway. It always had a great oom-pah band playing all those wonderful polkas and waltzes. Also, do you remember Cap'n Jim's seafood restaurant at Roosevelt and Military, and The Texan restaurant and Pan American restaurant on Pleasanton Rd. And my absolute favorite, which thankfully is still there, is Bud Jones at Commercial and Military.
Dang it! It's 2:15 in the morning, and I should have been in bed a few hours ago. But I read your posts and got on one of my nostalgia attacks again. As Bob Hope would sing "Thanks for the memories."

Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 AM

BTW, O'Mel ...the guys that ran the fish joint on the back of Capt'n Jim's are still in business. They are using Capt'n Jim's name and are north of Military Dr on Roosevelt across from San Jose Mission.

Top Rail in Berg's Mill??? Was that next to the old bridge over the river? Might be what I recall as "Bertha's" ...always looked spooky!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Good post,

You've raked a lot of memories up and out of the muck for me, I had forgotten many of the places you have named in your post. Thankyou.
I remember distinctly now Mike Persia Chevrolet Dealer and their sign, The Pan American Restaurant and Christies' Seafood along with the Dacbert Piano Co.
What about the Indian filling station on Military Drive across from the old Sears ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumblefingers O'Mel View Post

Old 11-22-2012, 06:28 PM

The last and only Indian Station I recall well was at Probandt and Steves. Whites Truck service Center just behind it. Ray Russel Marine directly across Steves St. from the Indian. Dacbert Piano... my brother took guitar lessons from spud Goodall.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default A Movie on Location Filmed on Pyron,

The movie was based on the daily lives of two San Antonio city police officers. An armed robbery was stopped while in progress at the convenience store at the intesection of Flores and Pyron in this movie.
I thought it was a good movie. It is entitled "Evenhand." The convenience store , the old Whataburger building and Southside Funeral Home are in the movie along with the Pig statue from the pig stand.
Lots of Harlandale Southside scenery along with westside scenery in this movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolonyokte View Post
well i lived there on Pyron and Zarzamora next to Mayfield went to Collier elementary on to Harlandale and started woring in 1964 so i did live in the area-- 1954 - 1970 -- and yes i remember all those business you all mention also there was a Levis jean factory, Lasso western wear in that area where i lived-- and the good old Griffs burgers on military dr-- there are alot of wonderful memories there, but in the now that area is not recognizable it has changed 100% and totally packed with business' and lots of people, but the memories live on, after all "MEMORIES IS THE THREAD OF LIFE" so thanks SATX56 for the memories over and over again!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 PM

First I've heard of this movie Huckster. It's dead center my old stomping grounds. Hold the kids ears if you watch this trailer..

EvenHand (2002) - IMDb

The old Whataburger has been an ice cream place of sorts in recent years may be Mexican Food now. Just pass on rare occasion now. The convenience store has been there short time though may be a couple decades now. That corner between Huff and Pyron used to be buildings that enclosed Barrett's old lumberyard. Slot car tracks up front in the 60's and a laundromat around back on Huff side in the 60's and 70's.

..Can't recall the brand of gas station across the street (Flores) from the conv. store. Saw it in operation for a few years and new a guy that worked there once. Became a electronic repair shop and installations, CB and such for several years. Run by an ex TV cameraman that lived on White Ave. Forgotten his name. Next door to the station towards Huff was the old White's Auto store one of my oldest and fondest memories. Harlandale Bank was next door to it at Huff in the 60's. Bierschwale owner of the BrookHill Funeral Homes and builder of the raceway on Poteet Hwy. Can't believe the city allowed him to leave the vault standing in the middle of the empty lot all these years. Obviously he had some pull in the matter. Even after a person or two died from a partial wall he'd left standing (from the old bank building if I recall correctly. The wall fell on some folks as they waited for a bus I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio